Sketchbook: Oregano IV :: stuff and things ... and stuff - Page 17
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Niiiceee! Cool images bro!
    I really like that Bad Guy, i wait to see him finished!
    Cheers!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Oregano
    Okay, in the middle of the night I woke up and realized that I had gotten off on the entirely *wrong* foot with the character. So, scrathed what I had and redid it. Let me know what you think.

Cheers,
    ~Shane
    I love it. I don't admit to being a technician but I like the character's expression. I definitely like the choice of colors. In non-wierd-way, he's a handsome character.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There is a lot of improvement going on here! I think that some of these newer ones have a nice flow to them, where the others tend to be rigid. You are obviously working toward very dynamic motion in your work, keep it up, you'll get there!

"Oh my God who is flying this thing! ......... Right, that would be me." ~Wash

DeviantArt - Sketchbook - Concept Art.org Porfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tha last one is looking good, bro! Knowing the way you work, I'm really looking forward to the updates.
    The face on the baddie looks real real nice!

peace

d-C

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Shane,
    Long time no speak brother, just wanted to drop you a line and let you know that I've been lurking in your sketch book for a while as everyone else has taken care of the comments both ass pat wise and crits. There was one thing that I haven't seen get mentioned yet and that is w/regards to your camera angles. Most of your shots are fairly straight forward and don't really pull the viewer into the piece at all. Try pushing it a little further and bring that camera in closer to your subjects. I'm not talking about talking heads, I'm talking about bringing the viewer into the action. Hope that makes sense.
    -Mike V

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

"Scene Update"

Holy SNERT! Replies!!

bdfoster Like and totally agreed with the radial line suggestion. Therefore I tooks it and, well, you can see where I'm heading with it Thanks!

Zoio Thanks for posting. I think, unfortunately, that the badguy is as done as he's going to get if you are meaning this guy , Otherwise not sure who yer meaning... unless you mean this guy

Sanctuarie So glad you like her!

masterpug Thanks!

dCepThey Bro. here's an update for you!

UndertowMike, bro. So glad you're back in the States. Looks like you bailed that region just in time judging from what the news says.

You're dead on about the engagement factor of the illustrations. It's funny you mention (to me, anyway) because I've been looking at that very issue the past couple of days. Any suggestions you have I'm open to.

And here's the latest update. cheers all.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Character of the Week :: A weekly character exploration activity.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    on the last one, I feel that the rock on the left side, isnt helping the composition because its on at an odd angle.
    I reckon if you made the bottom part like a cliff face, and the top like a ridge with a few figures standing on top, it would look better.

I reckon that if there were a lot more people looking on, the piece would work better.
    Just my half assed 2 cents.

oh, and the charactrs from a few posts ago are looking great!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    In illustration you have to remember that you're telling a story visually so you have to make decisions as to how you want to portray your characters to the viewer. I'm guessing that the human in armor is the good guy and the orc is the bad guy. It that respect you have to think about who has the upper hand in the piece. If your hero is ahead in the battle you can do 2 easy things to make him look like he's beating that orc into submission and that's by doing a shot that's almost over the shoulder of the hero which brings him into the foreground and due to perspective, the villain will look smaller and appear to have less of an advantage. Where you set your camera will depends on how much you're willing to sacrifice in character detail from the frame. Think of it this way, every shot you approach try place characters and objects at varying points in perspective. One thing I do is take little action figures and actually set up my scene and then I try to look at those guys from various angles to figure out where I want to set my camera angle. Another note is that the more space you use in your image showing various objects in perspective setting up foreground, background and middle ground, the more depth you'll create in the scene. Hope that helps.
    -Mikey

*quick edit* If you're game would you like some freelance work? Give me a call when you get the chance.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, Shane, I am so digging the face of the antagonist, but with all the figures in the midground (and so close to being on the same plane), they are unnaturally flattening the image. In addition, both main figures are almost exactly framed in the "teepee doorway".

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cow ...And now for something completely different...

blanquish, Undertow & dogfood. Thanks guys. You all had some very good insights into some of the stuff that I tend to overlook, especially when I work exclusively digitally. As I mentioned when I posted the pic, it was just a noodle, and I wanted to see where it would go. It was in essence, a throw away excercise. So, for now, I'm done with it and moving on. Mike, your ideas about using the figures is an excellent one and I plan on including it in my scene set ups. Thank you.

In other news, I lost a job opportunity that I really, really wanted. A concept position for a game company, with real pay, real benefits, and doing real artwork. It was down to me and one other guy from tons of applicants. The other guy won out. Congrats to him. But I'm pissed, fucking depressed as all hell, and just want to tell the world to fuck off. I'm languishing in a god damn bank making just barely over minimum wage and I lose out on the best art oriented opportunity I've had in years. Wonderful.

So, never one to piss and moan too much, I'm moving off in another direction to see if this will work. I've fancied over the years the idea of illustrating children's books, but have never had the opportunity. So, I decided to pursue that. Below are some roughs for the impending portfolio. I plan on doing these as a combination of digital and traditional pieces (some digital, some traditional).

Anyway, these are still in my sketchbook, so the scans are kind of crappy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Shane
    sorry about the job, but if you were that close it can happen again. Just keep pushing.

In the meantime, those sketches look really good. I think you should explore these and see where it takes you.

Craig

Thanks
    Thanked 1,171 Times in 468 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    great stuff and it sucks about that missed opertunity, always sucks bad!

cheers buddy and you'll survive, you're too talented not to!

-----------------------------------------------------------
    BJÖRN HURRI | CONCEPT ARTIST & ILLUSTRATOR

MY PORTFOLIO | HURRICANES DAILY DOODLES '12
    MY EXCLUSIVE SKETCHBOOK
    VIKING: BATTLE FOR ASGARD
    TWITTER
    THE OTHER BROTHERS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Opportunities will present themselves to you in good time. Jobs are like girlfriends, you only get them when you’re not actively pursuing them. Regardless, I need to repeat myself here and it might be best for me to type this in all caps… DO YOU WANT SOME PAYING FREELANCE WORK?!!!!!!!
    -Mike

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Commiserations on the opportunity, Shane. I know how that feels.

I think your work would be very suitable for the early readers; it has an elfin whimsey at times, and the rich color application would be ideal. I think you're on to something.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey! maybe picture will be more dynamic if for example middle goblin (?) will rise his leg, as he was in run? At this time it looks very, very static...

cheeres

Thanks
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 624 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Your lineart is awsome, and you got nice line quality, on the last piece the colours are nice aswell, but I suggest turning your pictures into greyscales as you go, and check if it looks right, your a far better artist then myself, so I shouldnt really "complain" its just a tip since some of your stuff looks alittle flat!
    Ohwell, awsome sketchbook overall, keep it up!

~Dile

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, man! Where's the next update on that scene?? The kiddie-stuff looks good... looking forward to seeing the finished pieces to those. And yeah... I just got turned down after an art test as well... no biggie... just gotta keep pushing! Like Hurricane said: you're too talented not to get noticed soon!

d-C

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ooo the colors! you might find that there's so many game jobs out there right now. actually, i'm looking for one too. i'm trying to get everything ready so that i can send things out right now. i hope you'll get the next one.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Oregano. I sympathize with you over the job opportunity. I have had that happen to me. Maybe not a dream job that I really really wanted but nevertheless a job that I would have liked anytime over the one that I have now. However I think you struck gold with the children's book illustration idea. I think you really have what it takes for that. I see your sketches and if I was a kid I would have loved to have your art in my books when I read them. I really see you doing that.

Eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow we die.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Not Dead - just focused. 02-07-07

hey folks - thanks for the replies - they always mean a lot to me and do a wonderous job of keeping me going . I don't have time to respond at the moment, but I wanted to pop on by and drop off a couple of things for you to check out.

No activity here has been replaced by lots of activity behind the scenes. I'm currently putting together a children's book dummy for submission to various publishers here in the next couple of months.

I also have a new art show at one of the banks near where I live which has been recieved wonderfully. It's the first time I've shown any of my digital and illustrative work publically and the response has been fantastic. I've even gotten a fine art commission out of it!

There's more, but not enough solid yet to post about. So, in the mean time, here's some art.

Cheers, and thanks!
    ~Shane

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Shane lives!!

Congrats on the commission, and the push in the right direction. I *LOVE* the kids book page, and can't wait to see more. Hopefully someone picks it up..

Nothin' but love.
    -Ben

chaosrocks is offline Environment of the Week Leader Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    veravera nice....
    glad to see you're not totally MIA

chaos

To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Sketch book

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ight=chaos%27s

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    heya, Shane! good to see you keepin' up the profile. the new work looks great, best of luck on its progress to published form, and 'grats on the commission. sometimes the unintended path is the most interesting (pardon the pseudo-zen).

Continuity Break -- my sketchbook

Shameless plugs!
    Kata femme -- a 3D model WIP, now updated!
    The Giordano Gambit -- Barsoomian Zingball at its best!
    Valkyrie Ascending -- now updated with the second in a series!
    ArmaRagnaGeddonRock-yer-Yuga! -- celeztial shitz 'n' gigglez
    I . Miss . America -- "colored [eyes] may hypnotize..."

"In the end, Razputin, aren't we all just dogs playing poker?"
    -- Edgar Teglee

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's about damn time you showed back up brother! You have to come down and visit us folk in Seattle when you're not too busy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey buddy, i miss the good old days (you, van, mike, always posting), hah. anyway, i'm glad to see you're doing well, i really like that last page. i've also been trying to focus and really take my work to the next level and constantly study, so i understand about the posting. i look forward to hearing more about whats going on as well as seeing some stuff, take care man.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The drive home

Hey guys, again thanks for the replies

Ben - thanks for the support, man. Really glad you like the sample page there - just wait until you see some of the others I'm pulling out some stops for this and having a blast with it. All kinds of goofy fun Needless to say, I hope it gets picked up as well. I could get used to doing this type of stuff really fast.

chaosrocks - heyas. Thanks. Yeah, not MIA. More running silent for a while. I'll be popping in and out as the mood strikes. Glads you likes.

masque - hey bro, <homer simpson voice>mmmmmmmm psuedo zens</voice> hehe, too true. This past year has proven that to be far too true in my life. Thanks for the congrats!

Mike - heya man. I'm still wanting to head down to Seattle, but with the way my schedule is shapping up, I really don't know when that's going to be. Here in the next week I'll be starting work 6 days a week with two jobs and still trying to handle commissions, family time, eating and sleeping. With any luck, the children's book thing will turn out to be a life saver that I need.

Dako - hey dude! Long time no hear. I often wonder what happened to you. I miss the "old days" as well. There was a good art vibe going on there. I really regret that things came unraveled. Very glad to hear that you are still sticking with things. I'll have to pop over to your sketchbook and see how things are coming.

anyway, for the mean time, here's a digital I did this evening based on a view I see every day driving home. Hope you like.

Cheers all.
    ~S

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Shane, that's lovely, evocative without being overstated.

Continuity Break -- my sketchbook

Shameless plugs!
    Kata femme -- a 3D model WIP, now updated!
    The Giordano Gambit -- Barsoomian Zingball at its best!
    Valkyrie Ascending -- now updated with the second in a series!
    ArmaRagnaGeddonRock-yer-Yuga! -- celeztial shitz 'n' gigglez
    I . Miss . America -- "colored [eyes] may hypnotize..."

"In the end, Razputin, aren't we all just dogs playing poker?"
    -- Edgar Teglee

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    small dump of unrelated stuff and a couple of photos for gits and shiggles.

Lets see...

there's a page of pencils for the children's book. You can see I'm really being technical about it. That's an 8.5x11 sheet of printer paper with mechanical pencil sketches. There's also a sketch page with a cameo critter for th book - can you guess which one? Also, included for no particular reason is my work station and a tree that fell in our yard a couple of weeks ago.

Anyway, cheers all.
    ~S

Last edited by S.C. Watson; March 2nd, 2007 at 10:16 AM.

Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2