Thanks

Question Architecture or Concept Design?

Man, Concept design is the bomb, i can't stress that enough. CA is also the shizzle. Feng Zhu is my hero.

Anyway, enough about myself. I'm a pretty young artists kinda guy, and I'm at the point in my life when i choose a career path.

I'm not sure what i want to do. I want to do what Feng Zhu does, but i also want to reach the pinnacle of the design career which is Architecture. But thats 7 years, so I'll be 24 when i finsh hopefully, 26 latest. I'm in college right now, so i'm picking my classes.

I know there are tons of respectable artists and experts in these fields, I would love to hear from you guys, but others in the process would be nice too

Thankss!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    architecture isnt really the pinnacle of design, and designing for architecture is very limited and there are many rules set in place to keep it that way, with concept art for the film and game industry the extent of ur imagination will be put to the test everyday to create a wide variety of things, thats also exactly why feng choce concept art over architechture, not only that but right now is the best time to get into the game industry, there is alot of money to be made but id say ur best bet would be to learn 3d stuff too, its very rare and doubtful to be a full time concept artist or get as much clientel as feng, unless you get extrememly good and promote urself, not only that but feng designed bloodrayne chick which sold millions and shes basically the next laura croft so that made him much more valuable, that and starwars, so all i can say is....good luck
    Nathan Campbells 3 steps to drawing like a pro, 1. Sketch 2. shade. 3. highlights and ur done

Thanks
    thanks, I always thought Architecture was the max, seeing how it incorporated art and science in the ways.

But also in that, is the income of a concept designer that great? I mean, If i am going to go into this, It's important i can support more than just myself with it...

I guess my dream Job would be a head position at ILM lol. Too bad I won't have the chance to work on another Star Wars movie : P. Hopefully George will think of something

Thanks
    well both archietechture and concept art can yield alot of money but it all depends on skill and expiernece, for example these days for full time a concept artist can start at around 40-50k a year, good skill and experience with a few shipped titles in the game industy can get you around 80k, art directors around 100-150k, and creative directors upwards of 200k a yead but thats around the max, keep in mind there is stock option and profit sharing in some of these places, now im not sure about architecture but i know 2 that are rich, one master plans hospitals and the other designed sears and other stores and they are loaded. also both industries require rediculous work loads, so be prepared to give up much of a social life if u work full time in either industry because u will be on salary and they will easily work you 60-80 hours a week no overtime but for that much money thats the price you pay and anyone making over 100k shouldnt complain about that. i wouldnt lol but some people dont like that so they go the route of freelance, i guess both have pros and cons so its up to you to figure it out when the time comes, just make up ur mind soon cause you got years and years u need to practice to even get close to skill as a guy like feng.
    Nathan Campbells 3 steps to drawing like a pro, 1. Sketch 2. shade. 3. highlights and ur done

Thanks

Smile

Thanks Gasmask, really helpep me out getting the bigger picture. Alot of stuff answered for me!

Thanks
    JUST an option.
    Im from Mozambique, Yes Africa

Studying architecture nd Site Planning, nd its design yes but isn't that free in terms of art you have to give up a bit of the freedom of the artist.
    Few people get real frustrated bcs of it.

Well here we take design so suite the primary needs of people. That takes also lots of creativity and skill to abstract yourself from the constant "standard solutions".

But also I haven't stopped working in art, its an a scape from reality. Architecture pays for my freedom in art. Its option.

That's my world. Here the flied of art is very difficult.

Just option.