Schools in Colorado

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Schools in Colorado

I feel like I live in the void. There are only 2 art schools (that i know of) around me, and I'm not on either coast.

There's the Art institute of colorado and "RMCAD"

I hear mixed reviews of the art institute. and at their shows I can see how even the very untalented manage to graduate with no real teaching (apparently). But, apparently i have a "really good chance" (according to some teachers) at getting the AiC 1/2 tuition scholarship. Rockly Mountain College of Art and Design...well, i don't know much about them, but they seem to be pretty similar ot AiC.

so is AiC worth it at full tuition? 1/2 tuition? should i really look into rmcad? or consider (ooh, gonna be costly) looking into schools in other states?

Last edited by DarkORB; March 10th, 2003 at 06:26 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey DarkORB, I graduated from The Art Institute of Philadelphia. I can tell you that all AI schools work the same. They just want your money and they give you little in return.

By the looks of your website you seem to be into graphic design/multimedia. You already have better skills than most AI grads.

I hear mixed reviews of the art institute. and at their shows I can see how even the very untalented manage to graduate with no real teaching (apparently).
    This should be a big red flag.

I know going to another state and paying a little more will stink. But if you go to a good school you will get a higher return when you graduate.

Hope this helps

David

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I happened to have been fortunate enough to visit the AI school in Denver about two years ago. The information I got seemed to herald it as THEE place to go in Denver, but after going there to ask questions, see students work and so on, I got the feeling it was more of an overpriced dumping ground then anything. Yea, you had some spectacular students who put work up there, but it was overshadowed by so many poor students. The State University/College a few blocks down the street just off Colfax seemed to be by far superior to the two you posted, though nearly as pricey. The lack of dormitories was what kept me out of that one.

Overall, I got the feeling AI schools were places to go if you couldn't get in anyplace else, but refused to accept the reality that you weren't ready for an education in the arts, much less a career in it. I've interacted with people who've gone to various other AI schools and the verdict is the same, "go someplace else to learn art, you'll save money and actually LEARN there." You can thank Patrick Shettlesworth of PolyKarbon.com for those words there. He told me I'd learn just as much if I went into a community college art course and I'd actually get better if I stuck with it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You already have better skills than most AI grads.
    David : Thanks! that's pretty much what the flash teacher (3rd year class) said (hmmmmm....)

GoldenAvatar : you remember what the state college was called?

so.... I'm looking into schools around the country. what're the best ones? (that are reasonably priced?)

Last edited by DarkORB; March 11th, 2003 at 11:25 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    what're the best ones? (that are reasonably priced?)
    Resonably priced? HA! there is no such thing. First thing you have to do is understand that most art schools are going to cost between 15k to 20k a year, just for tuition. That may seem like a lot but if you go to a good school it will pay off over the course of your life.

You should do your first year at a community college and then transfer over to an art school, just make sure beforehand that the credits from CC will transfer. That will save about 18K and if your want you can take your liberal arts classes at CC too.

Here are some good schools, I assume you want to go for graphic design/multimedia.

Art Center (CA)
    Cal Arts (CA)
    Ringling (FL)
    Rhode Island School of design (RI)
    School of Visual Arts (NY)
    Pratt (NY)
    Tyler School of Art (PA) <- I hope to go here
    University of the Arts (PA)
    Columbus College of Art & Design (OH)
    Savannah College of Art & Design (GA)

There are many more but thats all I can think of right now.

And one more thing about AI, their credit's don't transfer to any other schools. I have an associates, and now I have to start all over.

David

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well, reasonable as far as art schools go is what i mean hehe

thanks so much for the list and tips! that's just what i needed.

and...well, i guess that is another thing about Ai. sorry to hear that you have to start over. ouch.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face

I used to go to the Art Institute of Colorado, transferred to the Chicago school this Winter. I like it so much better. The Denver school sucks, the teachers suck... And IMO Denver sucks, too. Lived there 6 years, finally got the hell outta Dodge this past summer. Too many Texans and Californians moving there, and it's a horribly unfriendly place. But that's due to all the TX and CA people... (KIDDING!)

The college on Colfax is probably the three colleges that share the Auraria campus. Metropolitan State, University of Colorado-Denver (sister school of CU in Boulder) and another that slips my mind. They're like a community college, a 4-yr university and a third. Colorado Colleges

And no one has mentioned Platte College (graphic design, etc.). I've never checked it out, but I knew someone who went there for GD, and loved it. May be worth checking out...

Good luck!
    -Bad Mange

EDIT: I just noticed you're in Boulder. What about CU? A high school friend went there for art, she was a very talented artist, and is happily working in the field (the last I heard).

Last edited by BadMange; March 12th, 2003 at 12:24 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well, I'm already accepted to CU. so that's a plus. i never looked to closely at their art section, I guess i will now. thanks for the info (it's just what i wanted : the opinion of someone who actually went to AiC)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You should stick with CU, unless you don't want to go to school in your hometown. CU is a good school, and will only help in your eventual job search. Good luck!

And let me reiterate, AiC SUCKS. Avoid it like the plague!

-Bad Mange

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    LOL. so much hate here for the art institutes...

oh well, tomorrow I'll look at CU's art program. that's where a lot of friends are going. and it's a lot cheaper.

hurrah. thanks guys for the help!

Last edited by DarkORB; March 13th, 2003 at 02:12 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, it's more along the lines that if you don't intend to get a BA from an Art Institute school, you're going to find you've wasted ALOT your time. A game plan of going to a community, City, or State college, getting an associates degree and then going to an art school really is the better option. You'll still have to take the liberal arts courses regardless, so you may as well do it in an environment where the bill is cheaper and the returns are more transferable.

<<--Recently got an Associates in Engineering Science, but still needs to draw more before heading to an art school

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am currently attending Metropolitan State College of Denver, the one you guys were talking about on Auraria Campus. It is a good school, im in the life drawing program. The only thing I can say about it that, in my opinion, makes it lack in terms of concept and illustration work is the fact that there are only two illustration classes. Metro has a reputable art program, of course unlike most of the CAD's I keep reading about. I was offered a 6000 a year scholarship to Rocky Mountain College of Art and Design, but I somewhat doubt the usefullness of the school.. Art Academy University has an online degree for illustration, which holds just as much power as a degree obtained through being on campus. Its expensive.. but maybe it is worth it. Ive been searching for info all night I hate Denver, people are rude, I dig all day, and there are no decent art schools.

Members who have read this thread: 1