DSG 735: Sci-Fi-Character: OVERHAUL THE BORG LOOK
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Thanked 1,283 Times in 467 Posts
    Follows
    Following

DSG 735: Sci-Fi-Character: OVERHAUL THE BORG LOOK

If you're like me, you were actually a little disappointed when you first saw the BORG on Star Trekô. Maybe you liked the direction they were going, but you wished they'd gone a bit further... something a little more than a few rubber tubes, a rubber suit, and a laser-pointer strapped to one eye.

Well, whether you did or didn't, now is your opportunity to re-think the design of the BORG.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh yeah, this will be fun.. Thanks for taking over for the Bot William... That thing was spitting out lame topics sometimes.

Ninja Pirate
    Pirate Ninja
    Future Pirate
    Robot Ninja Pirate

Better to have a human brain behind the wheel.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pretty cool topic, I have to say. Wow, I need sleep.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh yeah, that's waht I call a great topic!
    Will rulez, DSGbot sucked.
    Hope to find enough time for this...

--(-)|dE--

portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool topic. Resistance is futile. Ha! First to say it!

PS7, roughly one hour (the better part of which wre the tubes). I stayed pretty close to the original, I guess, except for the head, but I like the result. Maybe I'll work on it some more later.

Last edited by Riess; May 1st, 2005 at 08:18 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is what's been killing all those extras on StarTrek.

I want to work on this more but my eyes hurt. hehe.
    All photoshop.. ehh.. maybe 4 hours all together. (I didn't have anything to do at work tonight)

I'll comment at the end of the day as usual.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    pencil then ps, one hour

but drips of bile in the ocean of futility
    were now the "brave", the "strong", the "free"

Last edited by vijil; May 1st, 2005 at 10:13 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    They should of all been hippies! assimilating for world peace and love!

ok, not really an overhaul...
    painter, got bored pretty fast

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haha!
    "Peace, man, we're the Borg! War is, like, irrelevant, dude!"

Vijil, yours is creepy. I like it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    quick hour work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This started looking more like Tron than a borg, so I figured I better stop before I went too crazy with the sparkling lights. :-p

Wow, some really cool concepts were posted in this thread. I like vijil and teyekanik's concepts a lot.

Michael W.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is NOT my entry, I found it on Google, but I thought it was strangley fitting

Cheers,
    ~S

Character of the Week :: A weekly character exploration activity.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Legos are kindof evil.. with thier autonomous facial expression and thier ability to make anything out of blocks. It's like little voodoo dolls of strangers. Maybe every time you pull the head or legs apart someone dies, holy shit!

Legos would totally stomp the borg.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

my try

just trying

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Again some cools stuff from everyone!
    Maybe this is a bit overloaded...
    PS 7, 2 hours

Teyekanik, Vijil: Crazy and cool design!
    Yaso: that's just 'jaw-dropping', lol!
    Nightfend: nice!
    Hamsta: hilarious! You should have made a heart-shaped eyescanner!

Last edited by Hideyoshi; May 1st, 2005 at 04:12 PM.
    --(-)|dE--

portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Back again, aiming to keep a frequent continuation of developing my skills. Let's hope I can achieve that.

Now let's see, Borgs. Abbreviation of cyborgs me thinks, which is an another abbreviation of cyberorganisms.
    *Sigh*, the great dream of some to combine tech with the flesh of human, mainly the brain off course, the rest is 'expendable'.
    And somehow they haven't quite achieved that part in the concept of the Startrek's Borgs.They still have a lot of human tissue, which, if you think with the logics of a borg, could be replaced with better parts that aren't as weak. Such as the face. Which is a pure sign of humanity, to show someone's face, so that you can relate to them and personalize them. Which is not a logical thing to do to reach ultimate efficiency.
    So I wanted to create a Borg as you would see if it would be as efficient as possible.

Next to that I wanted to look at the Borg's 'life's'philosophy. Their ultimate goal is to assimilate all living beings, especially humans(with having the most suitable brain types). Okay, so that's a very non-abstract goal, so it's reachable. And what to do when you have reached it, because, if you would have watched the show, they don't have any other goals or meanings of life. All that certainty is gone, and as being drones and can't think out of the box, like we do, so they have no purpose, which is kinda strange and unkown for me to go on. So, I wanted borgs that CAN think out of the box and continue life. Because they also have abstract goals, like: love, happiness, euforia, harmony.But because of bionic augmentations, they can controls emotions! That way, they have less problems thinking systematical, so that they can solve more complex problems and are way more efficient.

Well, here it is, I know, it looks a wee bit steampunkish and not human, but that is the bad influence of personal style. And next to that, a lot of steampunk designs are closer to practical and efficient reality than those messy borgs (like seven of nine's implants, yeuch)

Maybe I'll draw some more of this bot, I like him. Maybe him assimilating a startrekkie.

Edit: I'll post some c&c tommorow (in my time, which is GMT +1), it's about 00.05 right here. Nappy time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Seventy-two is good. Or so I've been told.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So this is my first submission to a daily here on CA, definatly something I'm gonna keep up with. Anyway regarding my revision of the borg, has more to do with the lack of variety in the borg that appeared on the show...seems like they would have different setups for different roles. This guy was ment to be a heavier duty type.

peas
    James Ball

Last edited by Cthogua; May 1st, 2005 at 10:30 PM.
    Ia Ia Cthulhu Fthagn

The Sketchbook Lives AGAIN!

Darkergreen, My environment, and concept art portfolio

"Its all Fish-Men in the end anyway" -Sara, my wife

"Whenever one finds oneself inclined to bitterness, it is a sign of emotional failure."
    Bertrand Russell

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Last edited by SantaClaus; May 2nd, 2005 at 01:40 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

Santa Claus - I like your take on the borg, with its more organic look. I see alot of HPX influence in your painting. I think you should work on controlling your edges. Sharpen some and soften others and know why your doing so. I like the colors in the first one. The second seems like more of an afterthought.

JwSamsara - Again, something I see alot and try to avoid in my own work is soft edges over an entire piece. I see where you're going with this but I think more time could have been spent in the drawing phase. Even though is mixed and mashed anatomy some of it is off. Try flipping your canvas horizontaly and vertically to check that things are lining up correctly ( a habit I too am trying to adopt)

Cthogua -I like the idea of having different functions, much like ant colonies. I was inspired by ants in my design too. Some of his parts seem broken and hanging loosely off of him, is this intentional? I dont see much indication of a light source in this piece. You could improve it if you defined the light better.

GreenMamba - A nice sketch for this. I like how he seems more agile than the typical Borg. Overall the piece is very dark. Try putting in some higher key values to balance it out.

Mad Giraffe - Very thouroughly thought out concept here. He reminds me a bit of some of Mars-1s earlier pieces. Mars-1
    Check him out. He also seems a little too bulky to move around "efficiently". GJ though.

Hideyoshi - You can always be relied upon to make a great effort. I really like the color and textures here. The desing is nice too, though the face seems very wooden and flat. Some of the proportions are little off as well. Great paint though. No problems there.

Celcio - Traditionally if you submit to the DSG you should say something to accompany your work. Let us know a little about yourself and your skills and what your thought process was so that we can help you to improve. What are you struggling with? What's your weakest/strongest points while drawing?

xaviuzz - You've got some nice colors going here and some good edge definition. The anatomy is a bit off for him though. Maybe more of a lightsource/s defined in this.

Oregano - What more can I say? Masterpiece. you've really captured the rage and conflict of the Lego Vs. Borg epic.

Nightfend - Cool colors. Gj with that. I think maybe the head could use some improvement and correction in the position. Also some of the edges could be tightened up. Try adding some highlight (whitest whites) here and there. You've got the anger of him translating well. Keep it up.

Machzero - your anatomy is improving alot. I'd still like to see some trys at color though.

Vijil - pretty sweet dude. Looks very much a victim of his circumstance. Maybe some darker values would help this piece.

Yaso Kuuhl - nice draw. Some of the anatomy could use some tweaking. Maybe some quick color as well? gj

Lunarsis - I like the colors in this and the fact you have some strong dark to lights. I think some texture would help this out. Just more time on this I think and maybe some more color variation.

Ok, on to the next DSG if I have time. Keep working guys.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this dragged on for an hour or so - also turned out much more traditional borg than i planned. bugger. plus i dont like star trek anyway.

still perversely fun though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    peyekanik- you did a great job.very cool and very thought out character. I like the balance in colors. with the glow in his chest. the lazer coming out of his head kinda throughs your eye up and out of the page though. maybe think about working on keeping the veiwers focus where it needs to be. I am trying to work on that myself. thanks for your comments! great job on commenting on everyone. its exactly what this forum is for! keep it up.

Last edited by SantaClaus; May 2nd, 2005 at 08:59 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    very cool borg stuff everyone!

walla:i like this colorsheme and design at the hand, very nice!

santa: the one on the right is pure evilness,.. definetly a new borg design

chogua: this is 1 of my favs today love it how u mixed the metal n grey flesh together and all the structures

hide: really cool sketch n design, also like the colors but it looks a bit flat alltogether ; ) doesnt matter tho, well done!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

tainted

hey all!

nice topic, i must say that in the series the borg we're always pretty docile, just with gross colors n sum tubes. in st generations they were very creepy, but that may be due to the young age at which i saw it. anyways, there r some pretty cool ideas in this thread, but imo the overhauled borg should b, not so much a real machine or something, but more of a completely alienated half human, which looks so disgusting and revolting, but also very sad. i mean, there u r, enjoying ur life cruising thru space when all of a sudden u get stabbed in ur neck and BANG, no more free will, no more all human (or whatever species they took over this time). i mean, a manga influence should b really good here i say, not the style but the disgusting ideas they often have. like, limbs torn off, gaping holes, and of course sum freaky tech. they should look so maulded and tainted, but have this weird, vacant look in their eyes that u cant help but feel sorry for them for not feeling or caring for the fact that they r no longer what they used to be, u know. that would b my overhauled image of the borg. not that i am capable of drawing it or whatever, im not gonna try since itll ruin my image. oh well, ill try sum zombies later on anyway. btw, i thought of a nice topic: zombificated celebs. i tried making a new thread but i cant. can any1 make this? it would b cool. jibs on the jackson.

"D'oh!"
    "A dear."
    "A female dear."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    PS1.5hours, no ref.
    Nanobots colonizing human in a fractal pattern, eventually resulting in borg armor/shell.

i should be texturing right now.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.