Art: Leap of Faith

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Leap of Faith

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Leap of Faith

I recently quit my full time job to pursue a freelance career. This piece is symbolic of that decision. Photshop, Painter, Wacom @12hrs...
    Feedback always encouraged.

Leap of Faith

Visit my gallery...http://vegasmike.deviantart.com/gallery/

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Damn, this piece is tense! Love what u've done with the composition (good/ evil, light/ dark), very dramatc... really nice how it takes you into the heart of the action. Nice details on the dragons head... those claws look real menacing!

That horse must be thinking "what the f**k have you got me into" lol!

You should have posted this in M I C H A E L C O R R I E R O's Dragon thread... all those guys would get a real kick out of this... its just a suggestion.

1 crit... the clouds look a little too close to the ground plane... maybe its mist or the perspective but it just doesn't feel/ look right.

Awesome work... hope everything works out with the freelance career.

Later

Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 286 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    with art like this im sure youll get plenty of commissions one thing i would like to see is for you to crisp things up a little in the image, there are areas where it is off focus when they really need to be sharp. youve given great definition to the areas that really need it, but then there are places (such as the dragons torso, the horses hoofs, etc) where it leaves something to be desired. i realise this is intentional, but even so i would prefer you showcase your ability to bring depth and movement to a piece without a blur brush, ya no? im sure your totally capable of doing this

also, im a little confused as to why the horse has an orange light being cast on its face. this is nice and all, but there is little or no indication as to where the source of the orange light is.. i mean theres no fire, theres no volcanos, no sunset.. and it doesnt look like any of its wargear.

ok now that i look at it more and more i find a few niggling things. please dont take this the wrong way, i really would like to see you strive for your best, and im sure youd appreciate a little help . notice that if you follow the line of the lance, it would hit around the dragons armpit. that, and the angle that we see the knight leaning over the horses head is a little off, because it would seem that both he and the horses head are sticking straight forward, focussed on their target. the horses head needs to be a little more obviously to the side, so either move it more or have a more definitive sense that the knight is leaning over it. dunno if that just made sense haha. i know what i mean at least

Warground Zer0 hit it on the head, the clouds look as if i could reach up and touch them if i were standing on the ground. the background also needs the definition. use shades and lighting to push things forward and pull things back, not blur. it detracts from the piece and seems a half-hearted job.

nonetheless this is an amazing work (especially for 12 hours!). hope some of what i said helped. am really looking forward to seeing more from you! take care and keep at it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is great i love the movement. I wish i could see what happens next haha

If i shoot the J then its "Good"

please hit up the SKETCHBOOK

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice! I like the action!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you've really put a good sense of suspense into this. the midaction, the warped angle, and the mix of focus and blur draw me into the moment and makes me feel the intensity of it.

for 'stoph's comments, im not sure if the focus/blur happens in the wrong places, but i don't notice it enough to bother me on a first look. and i believe the orange on the horse's face is not lighting, but probably some kind of fabric, as it happnes only between those red strap sections. perhaps it doesn't feel enough like a separate piece of something laying on top of the head to read like anything other than a change of light. by the way the gold trim on the sheet over the horse's body turns into the same orange color, im just assuming that that's supposed to be it's color when in shadow

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the feedback!

Warground Zer0...Thanks man, I was going for high tension and drama with this. Im glad it came through...The clouds should be pushed up some, I think the cast shadows are key to this which I should have spent more time on.

'stoph...Great feedback! I appreciate you taking the time...As for the blurs, I added that at the very end so I did render the scene normally. If I could take some of them back I would sharpen up the dragon's torso. I think the blur may have pushed it back from the tip of the lance too far, thus the armpit impact point. The front of the horses head is covered with the cloth...I thought it would be good to get a back lit highlite on there for separation. I could have made it more convincing...

Thanks everyone!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.