Sketchbook: Solution 9:Sketchbook

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Solution 9:Sketchbook

Greeting, all. Wow, this place is a mindtrip, it's on such a higher level than everywhere else I've been. In fact, I'm really nervous putting my stuff up here next to the fantastic works of everyone else here. But, I came here to grow, and growing means leaving your comfort zone, so, here I am, uncomfortable as hell. I hope to get to know all of you, so that I can be excited for your growth and you can be excited for mine. I'll post from older to newer; I feel more comfortable that way. Feel free to critique my ass off; I came here to grow, not to be given empty praise (though I don't mind empty praise ^^). Well, here goes, my first wave....

Oh, I do strictly anime, I hope you guys consider it art, there are many who do not. It's bullshit, but screw them, I'm proud of what I do.

This is all older, some a few years, and others last summer or so.

These are all more recent, and leading up to just yesterday.

That's it for now, I'll post new stuff as I make it. I hope it's all worthy of being here

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    my personal opinion is that this anime thing is overdone way too much... but keep drawing nonetheless. try drawing with ur own eyes though, not copying another "style"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My personal opinion is that you clearly don't like anime enough to watch them or to read manga, or else you'd know that it's not all the same thing. You're the type I was afraid I'd find here. Thank you for that punch in the face.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow. Bad start dude! Get used to getting a punch in the face sometimes or dont post...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I don't mind if I'm criticized for my skills, but when I'm told my biggest flaw is that I'm unoriginal, that pisses me off. It has nothing to do with my skill, and I work very hard to be original within my field. How would you feel if I said "the whole fantasy thing is overdone." That's just a dumb statement to make.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Domt really wanna get into this, but maybe you should ask yourself what you want here...Saying stuff like "That's just a dumb statement to make" is gonna make people here feel like helping you grow? "Feel free to critique my ass off" only goes for you skills and not the style then? If you are so down to this one type of style, dude expect some comments on that! And if you are so proud of it it, you should feel relaxed enough to suck it in and try and explain the difference!
    I dont not much about this style, so I really cant say if you are original or not, but it seems like you got some skills nad your line work is pretty strong. There the typical anatomy problems of course - I just had that one myself and it made me happy - but hey anatomy is the queenbitch in this forum trying to fuck us all!
    My advice to you is chill dude, work hard the way you want to and defend your stuff in a way that would make people wanna hear what you have to say.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey dude, welcome.

stuff's not bad, like fellah said you have good line control and stuff. and yes, anatomy is the most important thing to work on...just keeping an eye on your proportions when you are drawing (sometimes your upper arms are a little long or forearms are a little short) and stuff...right now your poses seem a little stiff...no matter what style you choose to draw in, try to get some good life observation in as to what makes a pose seem natural. try to reflect that in your drawings. also, aside from Rock Lee and the tongue-wrestling and the ninja turtle dude, just about all your characters are standing in a similar pose (front to 3/4 view, both feet on the ground)...try varying up the poses a little. even in anime, people dont just stand around all day making victory signs to the "camera". work on telling more of a story with your character's pose, bringing out some emotion or conveying some feeling to the "reader". i hope these things help you if you decide to try them.

besides that, yeah realize that not everyone will share the same view you do, but youll find that anywhere. just make sure that you present yourself in a way that doesnt reflect badly on you. and be smart enough to know what crits are valuable and which really won't help. after all, its YOUR art, and no one's gonna improve for you. anyway, thats my 2 yen, plus green tea ice cream. take care, dude, post more!

-A

more than (but i'm getting there)

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos
    Boston Sketchgroup <= Info in post 570
    Monday Nighters: Jushra|Vorp|PartialArtist

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    my fault, i'll retract what i said earlier then.. but keep drawing and observing anyway

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ur a good drawer. um, can you draw me a frog with a joint in its mouth saying 'i'm sooooooooOOOOOOOOOooOOOOOOOOOOoooooooo000000000ooo ooo fuct up!!!!!!' ?

cuz that would be neat. my big brother made me one one time. i laughed for hours!

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Eh, I did fly off the handle there a bit, and I'm truly sorry for that. It's just that It's so incredibly difficult to find validation in the art community sometimes, because with anime everything is clear cut; no grey area. I will say that it's not always as hard to render something this way versus absolute realism, but rather than tell me my ideas are recycled or overdone, say nothing, because telling me I am unoriginal solely because I do anime is not a fair judgement. Again, I'm genuinely sorry for jumping down your throat like that, Jca, it won't happen again, to you, or to anyone else. That's my piece, hopefully we can all forget this little bitty so I'm not blacklisted from the beginning. That certainly would not help me. Thank you.

Purb - That was exactly the type of thing I was looking for, thank you. I understand that my poses are stiff, that's my biggest obstacle right now, overcoming it will be a great goal for me. A few of them up there, the Rock Lee one and the other with the guy holding his arms out, are my first attempts to step away from the simple "standing around" poses, hopefully more will follow. And like Fellah said, anatomy is the prime evil for most artists, so I have my work cut out for me there as well. Thanks for the crit!

Bizarre - Yo, I'll get right on that. Animal training is something else I need to get to as well, and a frog would be a great opener. And I promise, he'll be high as a kite

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    start with the bare minimum, sketches and such. but, like... jumping in with this anime stuff really doesn't help us any.

this ain't deviantart.com. everyone's here to learn. if you go all IRelyOnYourPity on us, we'll leave you for the birds, i swear!

anyway, observe more than you draw.

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haha, understood, cap'n. I'm not really so unstable, I swear. I'm just not used to being surrounded by intellectuals. When you're around a bunch of kids, if something can be interpreted as a personal shot, chances are it is. And I hear you on observation, I actually didn't come here thinking that, but it makes perfect sense. Now the REAL growth starts. Thanks man.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I am a huge anime fan and I must say I used to draw lot's of anime..but meh it really is such a limited style of art....There are subtle differences between shows and Manga, but for the most part all anime does look the same (but so do most realism pictures ) The thing I think of it is, is that you really do not put much detail into an anime pic and the main focuses are the eyes, the hair, the face shape and the "outline" of the rest of the body...there is very little to no inner detail...

So as far as your drawing go they are looking pretty good, but I would check out some anime tut's on anime proportions and anatomy...You've probably already checked out www.polykarbon.com he has great tut's and the forum community there is geared towards japanese animation. I think you're pics would really benefit from some varied line width, which would make them a little more 3D, as they are kinda flat now...that or add another shade of whatever colour your using, or more highlights...just something to make them stand out more...

buuuut I'd say if you REALLY want to further yourself as an artist you gotta start drawing realism, this is what I realised....once you have a complete understanding and super firm grip on realistic anatomy and proportions will you then be able to distort those to your liking and come up will all sorts of cartoony styles...because that one pic you drew to combat the attacker at the begining of this thread actually has some good character too it, and it looks like you really could take "realistic" type pictures far...

Anyways my fingers hurt, keep it up dude, and remember we are all imaginary beings floating in a sea of electrons, so really don't take us too seriously

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.