No way! a landscape painting?

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question No way! a landscape painting?

I don't usually do landscapes... but I thought I would practice. A little over 5 hours so far in Photoshop. It's pretty close to where I want it, but I am thinking it needs just a little something more. Any suggestions?

Don't forget to visit my sketchbook and see what's new at www.neil.melville.ws
    I'll sting you real bad with my stingery thing if you forget, and then you will be so sad!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Overall the composition you have is quite nice, it looks like it took alot of time. Perhaps you could add more depth to it, but moreso in darkening the darks...only a few key areas, not all of them. I'd avoid any pure black but would pick a darker version of the color your using as if you added the complimentary color to it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 286 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    not so sure about the structure of the mountains in relation to the forest. theres very little gradiation, so the surfaces are stark and dont mesh. look at real mountains - often they grow from flat plains to smaller foothills to larger hills to mountains. that, or they have vegetation like chin stubble at the base before it gets too steep/high for plants to grow. also, the clouds are a little too close to the tip of the mountain in the bg, which removes a lot of depth from the piece. push it back behind it, dont make it so obvious that its a cloud, or make it a little more whispy, and it should be more convincing. good on you for taking the initiative tho

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is cool, I like the colors and the hazy horizon. I think what it is missing is foreground, middleground and background distinction. Right now it seems all background. Maybe if you pushed the contrast and darkened the value in that first rock formation, added a darker value and more saturated green to the forest area closest to the viewer, it would really give it the depth you are looking for.

Cool piece!

sketches and progressions

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey thanks for the suggestions... I think I will put a little more time into this, try to get more contrast and saturation for depth, and better details in the forest to mountain transition...

I'll sting you real bad with my stingery thing if you forget, and then you will be so sad!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My only real critique is that the mountains in the very back are too dark. They are pretty far away and should probably be lighter and closer to the color of the sky as more atmosphere is between them and the viewer.

I'd just make a second layer and try lightening the mountains. That way you can just adjust the opacity on the second layer to adjust how light the mountains should be.

Michael W.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Buy a french easel and some tubes of oil and head outdoors, cause nature it the best teacher when it comes to landscapes. That been said your skech looks nice.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the input. I do have a terrible habit of not using reference... Just dive in and see what happens. Well, I went back to it for a little bit and came up with this:

I'm not sure that this one is going to get much better, I think I'll just start again... I can always use the practice.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Even mountains are lot "random" form, u could use some perspective lines in.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.