Sheridan - Illustration Programe

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question Sheridan - Illustration Programe

Hi, wicked stuff everyone. Anyways, I have been looking into taking Illustration at Sheridan and I was wondering if anyone here is currently taking it, or has any 'insider' info on it. Thanks.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've heard varying things about Sheridans illustration program. Some says its brutal, some say it's weak, others say it's fantastic. I've found alot of Sheridan students and former students frequent both the http://go-gaia.com forum and the http://ocad.syste.ms forum. I suggest if you get no responses here, you try there and ask around.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the reply goldenavatar. I'll check those forums out. What other schools are known more for there illustration programes? I was only lookin into Sheridan because I have heard alot of good things about the school, but nothing really specific about individual courses. More help?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I live in NYC and from what everyone tells me aside for Cali it's the best place to learn the arts. Be it writing, music, or drawing, painting, and the like. I kinda really SUCK at drawing right now so I spend alot of my time learning what my better at art friends teach me and practice it repeatedly.

In searching for schools and whatnot, I found a few sites that have been great helps. Embark.com for academic and trade schools, and awn.com for just about anyplace that teaches animation in general. They used to have web based listings, but youcan download a pdf file which is just as good.

I was in Denver a year or two back and used the info to research schools wherever my job sent me at the time. Which is what brought me to the realization I'm just not ready for the curriculums many of the schools have. I must train, TRAIN HARDER! But I hope the little bit of help I can offer helps you out.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So where can I find more info on this cali place? I'm a little worried about a school in the states cause im from canada, and the dollar here isnt exactly strong right now compared to the us dollar. I can afford most places here, but the cost will almost double if I go to the states.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cali, short for California, USA.

I couldn't tell you jack squat about how to pay for Schooling in the states if you're canadian. But I'm sure you can find enough schools in your neck of the woods that teach illustration, so good luck on the hunt guy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've also been wondering the same thing.

I live in Ontario, and I don't want to go too far away if I don't have to...I took one semester of the animation program at Algonquin in Ottawa, but dropped it after discovering that animation isn't really what I want to do. Illustration appeals to me much more, but Sheriden is the only college in Ontario (that I've found) that offers an illustration program.

Three years of college is very expensive, and it's not something I want to jump into. O_O;

------------
    Kristy
    (home) (blog)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yah Kristy, I hear you on the "school is expensive", I have enought money to go for it in one shot. Other wise I will have to take out loans and what not. Which I really dont want to do.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm currently at Sheridan College for Art Fundamentals, and have gotten admission into Illustration for next year. It is the only college in Ontario (possibly in Canada) with a dedicated Illustration program. The college carries a very influential reputation for excellence, particularly for Animation which is most likely becoming a Bachelor's Degree come next year. The school draws students from all over the world, but is mostly filled with Canucks and Americans.

Anyways, the Illustration program is currently three years (though there's rumours that it might go to a four year degree program the same way Animation is going). The first semester is general courses to get everyone on the same page. After that you have the choice of entering Interpretive (book covers, magazine spot illustrations, editorial illustrations, things like that) or Technical and Scientific (technical/mechanical drawings, instruction manuals, industrial design, etc). Both programs are very diverse however, including education in Graphic Design, computer graphics (Photoshop, Painter, stuff like you'd find on here) and there's a great deal of overlap.

Some of the things I've seen come out of the Illustration wing are simply amazing. Watching those guys (and girls of course) do life drawing hurts my head sometimes.

Now, I'll warn you. It's not an easy course to get into - I probably wouldn't have gotten in if it wasn't for Direct Entry (admissions to other programs through the Art Fundamentals faculty based on marks and work submitted for that course). Unfortunately, this is the last year for Direct Entry meaning Art Fundamentals students will only get the chance to apply to the programs normally, with a portfolio submitted to the Illustration faculty.
    In addition, it might be going to a degree program meaning you'd need your OAC's.

I couldn't tell you how the programs are compared to other colleges, since obviously I've only attended one year of Fundies. But I've learned a lot and look forward to the challenge of Illustration in the years to come.

If there's anything more specific you'd like to know, just ask.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh yeah, one more thing. There are two major problems in applying to American schools if you're Canadian. First is the Academics - you'd have to take SAT's or some sort of equivilency tests. American colleges have a much higher standard for academics (College and University are pretty much synonymous for American schools from what I understand - whereas in Canada, Colleges are more skills/trade/hands-on based and Universities are more academic/booky-stuff).

Secondly is, of course, the cost. Not only is our dollar weak, but American schools are so much more expensive, plus you'll be paying double or more due to international student fees. A friend of mine from Vermont is going to Sheridan and is paying around $12,000 CAD for a year of schooling because he's International.

So yeah, staying in Canada is probably a good idea.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    JP! Fellow rydia.net member!

Thanks so much for the info!

Four years?! Good lord... do they even really need that much?

I'm still so torn between trying to get in there vs. teaching myself. Some illustrators don't go to school and teach themselves... and save thousands and thousands of dollars.

About the OAC thing... with the new high school curriculum, there are no more OACs, it's only four years of high school. So will the let in people from the new curriculum without the fifth year, but deny entrance to those who graduated the old curriculum without OACs?

My only option for school is to take out a massive loan for it... I don't want to do that if it's not necessary. -_-;

Is it a really intensive course? Like, no free time for weeks kind of intensive?

------------
    Kristy
    (home) (blog)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know how the collegiate system works up in canada for sure, but maybe you can goto a community college. You could do some studying there, take some art courses, and then transfer into the school of your choice like you can down here.

IF you DO end up deciding to do your art instruction independandly, or as low cost as possible, you can look and see if theirs an Art student league or something similar where you are. They might have some nice little low cost courses available.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow. Thanks for all the info people. It all helps alot. adm_soul.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey guys im new here.

sheridan just called me about the portfolio assessment appointment being due soon. i got everything set up tonight and my appointment is on the 7th of March.

i have a couple of concerns.

1)
    I didnt even realize it was a requirement and im kinda freaking out about the time limit i have which is a month. Im just worried i wont be able to create strong pieces and organize my presentation.

2)
    I also dont know the level of talent the program requires and the level of talent i should expect from other candidates. Basing my performance here on high school, I was strong in my class but im not foolish to think that that would necessarily translate for this course. i know its hard to measure but i want to know if i have the skills to handle the program because i dont want to waste my money or time just to find out im not ready for this course.

3)
    im also getting the notion that people are advising or have taken first art fundamentals - which i have applied for thankfully - then take illustration after. I am considering that but i need to know what you guys think. My art teacher was preparing us for post secondary giving really relevant advices on what to expecting applying for programs and even doing a portfolio presentation for our culminating(which she had even more advices for).

Here are some relevant information about me that may help with your take on my situation:

- i was able to create 3 pieces in 3 consecutive days to create a stronger portfolio.
    - my main media is pencil crayon since its convenient.
    - im strong with pastel, i hate painting and perspective drawing
    - my main subjects are women(long skinny ones mostly)
    - i won the visual arts award for elementary(not much but its recognition)
    - i was an editor for an annual school arts magazine

I really appreciate any feedback and your time reading my worries.

Last edited by emailme; February 5th, 2009 at 11:09 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For better feedback it's best if you post the images (scans or digipics) to this forum.

There's already a portfolio thread, but you could also start a sketchbook thread in that section of the forum and take longer term advantage of the feedback and advice available here.

~Richard

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm surprised you were not aware there was a portfolio assessment. My accepted portfolio is in either page 1 or 2 of my sketchbook thread on here.. but, I'm quite certain that the standards are rising every year. A few bits of advice - use as many different media as you can get your hands on, they don't want you to be perfect at everything.. they want to know you're not scared to try new things; you also need to vary your subject matter, vary compositions, sketchbook is huge. Basically, variety.. and make sure you do some stuff observed from life.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Anyone else applying for illustration this fall?

I'll be sending my portfolio on Friday....almost done =)

Any ideas when will the results be ready?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kristy, Sheridan is not the only school in Ontario offering an illustration program. OCAD and Max the Mutt both offer programs! Check them out.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A few things, Maxine; it's a good idea to read when a message was written -- you're responding to a message from March, 2003 and it was the last message Kristy ever posted on this forum, and you're not offering anything that could be considered a traditional illustration program.

The amount of illustration content in the Illustration for Sequential Art program actually undermines its ability to properly prepare the students for comics when what they need is more constructive drawing education.

This is the second time you suggested MtM offers an illustration program when it doesn't. Please stop misrepresenting your school here.

~Richard

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey guys i really need experienced artist's criticism so i made a blog for you guys to see my pieces:

BLOG LINK : Art Bus

I took in the advice of doing more life drawings so there are some there included and i have more on the way. Please let me know what you think and what i should include.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,196 Times in 870 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristy View Post
    I've also been wondering the same thing.

I live in Ontario, and I don't want to go too far away if I don't have to...I took one semester of the animation program at Algonquin in Ottawa, but dropped it after discovering that animation isn't really what I want to do. Illustration appeals to me much more, but Sheriden is the only college in Ontario (that I've found) that offers an illustration program.

Three years of college is very expensive, and it's not something I want to jump into. O_O;
    I know I'm answering a really old post, but in case someone comes across this thread it could be useful.

Algonquin College in Ottawa is now offering a Professional Illustration program, and I've been told they're looking at adding a Concept Art program within the next year or two. Just so folks know.

The Nezumi Works Sketchbook - Now in progress

My online portfolio

Bloggity blog

"Skill is the result of trying again and again, applying our ability and proving our knowledge as we gain it. Let us get used to throwing away the unsuccessful effort and doing the job over. Let us consider obstacles as something to be expected in any endeavor; then they won't seem quite so insurmountable or so defeating." - Andrew Loomis

Members who have read this thread: 1