Art: A picture by Saga
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: A picture by Saga

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

A picture by Saga

This is a painting of a D&D character I did for a friend as a favor. It is the first piece of my work that I have ever put up, and is not tweaked digitally (its only watercolor and pen). The character is a tiger-human warrior. I would value some comment!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think that main problem here is that knight is too little captured. I think that you are added him at the end to fill the composition. Well, composition is good but u need to think first about that question.
    Anyway I like arm, and dark key for colours. I like also that u using traditional materials

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    While the motion is pretty nice (as diagonals are famous for), the pose is just a little awkward with that twisted knee. The big thing for me, though is the lack of a solid value plan. Right now, there are very few values, especailly around the main figure, which tends to flatten it and create large areas of ambiguity. Subtlety is super, one of my favorite things, but it shouldn't be sacrificed for clarity (and it doesn't have to be). I'm not saying you should not use hidden edges (which I love), but there are places for them. In this image, there are value shifts which do not explain the forms, nor reveal much about the lighting (dappled ligthing through the trees can be cool, but it doesn't look like you were going for that). Value deifines form.

I laud your use of natural media, but there are even more requirements to get a good plan together prior to application.

I do agree with Danilo that the compostion, while not bad for the most part, is almost wrecked by the addition of the little knight in the corner. It kind of forces the eye down there and traps it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, that makes sense to me. The knight is cut out a bit from the image you see now, however it is a distraction from the main focal point. I could kick myself for forgetting basic design principles!
    I did have trouble with the right leg, but thats the best position I came up with at the time.
    More composition time is what I need. I think I was having too much fun with this picture.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.