Art Schools / Game Art Schools in Toronto?

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Art Schools / Game Art Schools in Toronto?

Last edited by aerez; August 19th, 2006 at 09:34 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i'm not really too sure since i'm still in high school

but why did you leave OCAD?
    sorry, but i'm deciding between OCAD and Sheridan right now

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

well

art attack

Last edited by aerez; August 19th, 2006 at 09:41 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Internation Academy of Design same where im going

Internation Academy of Design is where i plan on attending later after high-school.But thats not for awhile .But i seen some commercials advertising it,it looks pretty darn cool.I'm going to the game design program , not sure wut u are going into but all in all i think its a great school. check this out

http://www.iadt.ca/#

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am in Sheridan now though. Well not literally (its the holidays).

I believe that illustration/animation (any school) would give more leverage to getting into the games industry rather than a "game design" diploma/degree. I'm not dissing the talents that come out of such programs. But I've seen many schools bend over backwards to cater to the needs and wants of the students touting it to be a "requirement" for the industry.

Simply put. How many of today's concept design/game design folks went through a game design programme? Some things in game development can only be learned in the industry and not in school. School is where we pick up our core skills like drawing, animation, methods for developing ideas.... I've worked in games, animation, TV and film before going back into school to brush up on core skills.

I've seen some of the syllabuses being taught....most of them don't cover half of the tricks you learn on the job....and quite often, game companies are very small and are looking for people who are strong in all aspects, from character design to set/level/location design....and you can't just do design all the time....you gotta move into other aspects of the production and its very rare someone is strong in all aspects of it.

Its really up to what you want. And be sure to scrutinize carefully what they teach. Coz education in Canada isn't cheap (as I experienced) and if I want to dump my money, I think its wise to dump it in the right places.

There are 3 sides to every story. Yours, mine and THE TRUTH.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by aerez
    Sheridan's animation programs is very good for character design, but it is very traditional Disney type, and one style oriented.

ehh... not really.

The program changed alot, we only have one class that's still classical (you need that in order to do good with other techniques..you wont build a car without a frame). We now work with Maya, After Effects, Illustrator, Premiere, etc..

And in the last year graduate (which are the 3rd years from last year, they were still in the "classical" program which is over now). Someone made his entire final short film in claymation. And let me tell you that it was awesome, better than Wallace and Grommit in any aspect. So think of when our program is gonna reach our last year, it's pretty much all for youself to make whatever you feel like 3D or 2D. I mean yeah ok the first year you get here it kinda sucks as it's utterly technical but hey..anywhere you go it's gonna be the same.

During those 4 years you get to work with background painting, life drawing and character design (like you mentioned), storyboarding (my favorite class..but the teacher retired, he was my fav, im sad).. layout other awesome course. Like as if youre saying that this isnt for gaming. Like at least 50% of people in our program are aiming at the game industry when they graduate.. heck even i wouldn't mind that, and im sure i could if i wanted to.

So i mean, in the end it desn't really matter. Even if you go to a fine art school you could end up doing concept art for any game company, or you could spend 4 years in a strict game graphic oriented school and never get a job. It - all - about how much you push youself into making your own art. Challenge every aspect of it..

Anyhow, good luck in your search.

alex

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What about Seneca and Centennial College programs? I am planning to take one of 3d animation program of Seneca which lasts 28 weeks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I go to the art institute of pittsburgh and just to let you know the game art degree is an illustration/animation program more so than a game design one.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    my roomates brother is a professor at SMU, in Texas

http://guildhall.smu.edu/welcome.php

I have never been there personally, but it sounds like they really have a lot of good stuff going on in the way of games. Even their own mocap studio. could be worth checking out.

Members who have read this thread: 1