Thanks

Another conceptart.org redesign suggestion.....

I have noticed that there are many great tutorials that get written on this page, which is really awesome for those of us that come here to learn, and very commendable to those creating them as a way to give back to the community, but something I often notice is these tuts eventually die. The posters weblinks change, and suddenly the tutorial is a slew of red X's with some text. Marko has what looks like must have been a really awesome tutorial up right now in the finished section that I would love to check out, but can't

I think the best tutorials should be archived, to ensure their immortality on the site. I know Prom has some great ones on here, but I would really hate to see them die.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks

Thanks
    yeah and maybe (dunno if this is possible) sb could make a subforum like the best of ca forums, where you could view all those GREAT tutorials, maybe even with a little description underneath of them. anyway, a little bit of tidying up wouldnt be bad on the site because lots of those tutorials dont work anymore or didnt get a sticky.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lim
    yeah and maybe (dunno if this is possible) sb could make a subforum like the best of ca forums, where you could view all those GREAT tutorials, maybe even with a little description underneath of them. anyway, a little bit of tidying up wouldnt be bad on the site because lots of those tutorials dont work anymore or didnt get a sticky.

or copy and paste em into a normal webpage, you can get linked to from the front page
    Sketch Book
    rook-art.com
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfood
    Sarcasm sometimes grips me like an octopus helmet.

Thanks
    what we need (to get rid of the missing images problem) is a way to copy images in a thread to the ca server, and at the same time change the links. now, this isn't very hard to do in theory - I would say that the biggest problem is the GUI part - where do we put these controls for the moderators/admins so that they can easily copy images?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pontemonti
    what we need (to get rid of the missing images problem) is a way to copy images in a thread to the ca server, and at the same time change the links. now, this isn't very hard to do in theory - I would say that the biggest problem is the GUI part - where do we put these controls for the moderators/admins so that they can easily copy images?
    They can enable post attachment features for tutorial posts, it's a build-in functions for most forum templates. =P

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by look
    They can enable post attachment features for tutorial posts, it's a build-in functions for most forum templates. =P
    Yeah, and then everyone abuses it by saying their post is a tutorial so they can post attachments. Somehow I doubt that's gonna happen.
    "Every generation sees the past though the lens of its own time." - Thom Hartmann

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pontemonti
    with 30+ admins/mods there should be ways to get that done even if every url has to be changed manually

Thanks
    Should work if they only enable that feature for the admins. And I'm sure they can trust the admins not to abuse it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fukifino
    Yeah, and then everyone abuses it by saying their post is a tutorial so they can post attachments. Somehow I doubt that's gonna happen.
    exactly. as much as I would love to be able to turn the attachment feature on for everyone in all forums, I just can't see it happen. Unless someone is willing to pay for the file storage and bandwidth, that is.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan.v.D.
    with 30+ admins/mods there should be ways to get that done even if every url has to be changed manually
    we are all lazy bastards, and the manual procedure is tedious. save images on hard drive, upload to ftp server, change links. I bet it would take me at least 10 minutes for me to modify a thread, compared to 10 seconds with a good image copy feature. Not to mention that I would die of boredom if I did it manually. And half of the links would stop working because I made some mistake.

edit: I'm either blind or I can't spell properly. probably a combination of those...
    Last edited by Pontemonti; April 20th, 2005 at 06:41 PM.

Thanks
    10 mins for like 6 imgs?!?

lazy bastards...