Sketchbook: Lost in a sea of creativity (NSFW/56k) - - updated Aug 10 2009 - Page 10

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys, sorry for the late and very small update here. Ive got an entire 11x14 ish sized sketchbook full of drawings that im just frankly too lazy to scan. But maybe ill scan the painted cover. These are from a smaller 8x11 sketchbook, and I scanned more but most of them were corrupted thanks to my shitty ass fucking USB key.

Anyways,

Chiko: Thank you! If any more news comes around on that comic stuff, itll most likely be on my blog or here or www.th3rdworld.com ! so check those! As far as pencil tests, look for some character animation early next year, as ill have some uploaded by then.

Artmessiah: Good for you man, its a tough fucking road ill tell you that, but if you can do it, then have a beer! or just draw more.

Chrishly: Thanks man, glad to hear im getting better

Taj: Yes, im jealous, that is fucking sick though.

SirGreensock: You have, and this is the result

Sirio_Brozzi: Thanks man! The sequential stuff was really fun, and I cant wait to do more. Ill try for udon again this summer, we will see what happens.
    You bet it is man! Thank you, Ill do what I can.

Attached Images Attached Images          
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A mix of old and new just for you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like the way you capture the expressions and gestures of people in your sketches...so much personality!

Great work.

\\_________//
    ..Sketchbook..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    5 stars mate!
    keep posting

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Huzzah! Victoly

Looking good dude, glad you got around to updating at last (my turn now? )
    As always your characters are badass, and your colours are definitely improving too.
    Im diggin the water drawings, was that from life or ref? Either way it looks good, mustve been damn hard to pull off.

Nikola Odic
    sketchbook
    site
    you got them purty lips, boy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bunch of life drawings and animals and costumes and hands frmo the past month and a half of school.

Grae: Thanks dude, thats something Ive been aiming for more and more when i sketch from life.

Bloodbrush: Thanks.

SirGreensock: Update you bitch! hahaha Thanks, the water drawings were from photos, hahahaha my water drawings from life are nowhere near as technically sound.

Edit: I apologize if I rape anyones H-Scroll.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh man!
    these are excellent!!!!!!! the figures are slightly cartooned but everything is there
    proportion weight and ballance

there is a life to these drawings.
    awesome work!

sketchbook

looking for work! pm me

blog!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Studies of other artists, studies of skeletons and lips and eyes, experiments with colours, and some life drawings.

Roidvoid: Thanks man.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Damnation, missed 2 updates. Alright then, lets do this the long way

Oct 10th update:

The hands look damn nice, got a good sense of structure, especially in the movement of the wrist, its one of those details im still strugglin with. Some of the digits are gettin kinda flimsy, but theyre fairly gestural so its forgivable. You are however, losing structure in the knuckles/where the fingers connect to palm, i think you need to look at some of the more subtle overlaps and where the fingers are really originating from, theyre looking pretty tacked unto the ends of the palms.
    You did a good job on the lemur, especially considerin how much the sucker was moving around. Theres not much body structure, but i remember that the bugger was so fuzzy that it was hard to see any to begin with, and the other animals show a lot more structure anyway so its fine. I real like the characterization you got outta the camel's head especially.

Your human gestures are good as always, youve got a good sense of mass and movement, which is what im guessing youre going for. My main crit probably has more to do with the model than with you and its that the figures are quite top heavy, you focused a lot on the upper body and gave minimal attention to the legs beyond the movement of them, so the model is carrying a lot of weight but isnt well grounded. Your 1 minute gestures dont have that problem at all, but they still have the issue i think i told you about before and that is that for me at least youre losing some of the sense of movement in exchange for mass in these studies, and thats mainly cause youre using those thick darks to indicate mass and tension, but youre not thinking about what this does to the overall readability of the figure. I think the darks should be fairly consistent and work as a until to focus the mass and tension into what the pose is doing; for example the gesture of the muscular male model (whose name i forget) is much stronger in this sense sinse your darks are more consistent and actually aid the feeling of movement as well as weight (which of course is a easier to do on this model than on the more subtle female models), but that one and the one of debbie above it are definitely the strongest ones for me at least in the 1 minute poses.
    haha i like how you were so bored with that model taht you drew the lamp. I remember i usually end up drawing his hands and feet too, along with the hands and feet of those around me, if i decide to stay at all, he sucks ass.
    The pirate is pretty good, but i cant get over how orange he is, but you couldnt do much about it. Watch the legs though, i can tell his pants werent too form fitting or anything, but with the fairly straight pants and bent legs it makes his entire body look quite rubbery. The one of the girl is much stronger though i cant tell what shes doing with her right hand.
    The last batch of life drawins there are pretty strong, they got a better balance of darks, though your standing gestures arent as grounded as they should be i think. I dont know what it is about the girl on the ground there at the end, but even with all the curves i feel like her spine is really rigid, and i THINK it may be that her right hand is barely touching the ground but is so high up in her shoulder, it almost looks like she was supporting her weight with that arm but you didnt indicate it strongly enough.

October 13th
    The sketches at the mall look good to me, this kinda of work is hard for me to critique, youve definitely captured character in the studies which is what im sure you were going for. If anything im kinda bugged by the light wispy line not suting some of the characters you were capturing.
    The open space drawing is nice, the one thing you might wanna think about if youre doing a minimal rendering like this is giving more unity to your darks to make it easier to read (same as your lifedrawings), right now there are a couple big and small patches of very strong darks, but theyre interspersed which actually makes it more confusing rather than easier to read.
    The eyes and lips are kickass, youve reminded me that i gotta start doing those more, both from life and ref. You captured them well, not much to critique here other than maybe you should find some more variety in your references
    Your watercolour/gouache work is improving, but is still pretty muddy. You gotta push your darks more and gotta try and get brighter with your colour at least in select areas. I was surprised to see that those flowers were a nathan fowkes study cause they were so grey, i had to go to his blog and dig it up to compare, and as you can obviously tell he pushed his colours waaay farther than you did. It might help to do what he does and lay in a strong bright colour (yellow in this case) to serve as a backdrop for the green and a contrast for the violets. Youre probably using too much water cause your colours are all quite washed out, which is what usually comes out of watering down the pigment too much, also remember that watercolours dry lighter in colour and value than what you lay down, so you gotta hit it harder than what you may think is right at first. Its easier to dull down than to brighten up, though you cannot lihten once you go too dark or muddy.
    The armadillo is great, the ink really brings it together, when you got to the watercolours you mightve wanted to play with the value a bit more to get the fullness and depth of that ribcage going, but really its a quite strong study.
    Your friend was right, your marker life drawins are a kajillion times stronger than your regular work, its quite bold, its got movement, value, mass, grounding and is very well simplified. Youve got a great pattern of the light and dark marks that your conte and pencil work is sorely lacking, i would really really really urge to try and incorporate at least some of that thought process into your thought process with the other mediums, these have a really strong and beautiful brush and ink feel to them which makes them quite exciting. Nothing but asspats for those ones, please do more!

Nikola Odic
    sketchbook
    site

11. The Following User Says Thank You to SirGreenSock For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow incredible life drawings, i want your skills

Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 766 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    you rocked the fuck outta me with that last update man. Kick ass stuff man. Please keep updating.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hah! Cool Castro design! It's interesting to see your quick process for that - the very simple designs at the top. Nice to see how that kind of stuff works.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some painting assignment stuff lately.

Trying to experiment with colour and brush techniques.

EDIT: should mention im going for the offset UPA cartoon look in the mountain one. Didnt work too well though. ALSO i forgot to mention I DID NOT DRAW or DESIGN THESE LAYOUTS, the assignment was for us to paintover top of our professors old work, as if we were painting on top of a layout artists work on a tv show or something. Was pretty cool to do actually.

SirGreensock: Dude, BIG BIG BIG thanks for the critiques, helped out in life drawing today, i did some of my best work yet with nupastel on newsp rint.

Howie: Thanks, you cant have them though, they are mine

Bhanu: HAHA sweeeeeeeeeet bro! thanks man! Ill try to keep updating on a regular basis.

Molotov_billy: Actually there was like 4 pages of simpler and IMO uglier designs before those that i didnt bother to scan. Glad you dig though man!

Last edited by Amazing Action Ape; October 17th, 2007 at 03:07 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Mr Action Ape

I've spent time picking through this sketchbook. I reckon that your expressive line work is absolutely great! I really hope that these sketches are going towards a kick ass graphic novel. I reckon you could get some proper excellent results from keeping any final story that you do as loose as a lot of these studies. They're that fluid and dynamic that they'd totally help accommodate your action. Keep 'em coming, and thanks for sharing these. Much appreciated.

2nd Layer of Hell, where the lustful blow to and fro
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh man! These updates are amazing, I love the new pen and watercolor pictures.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very inpsirring.I enjoy the 30 sec fig drawing. Im going to have to give that a try.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    very nice. must draw now.......

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    just incredible. you got it all.

just went through your whole book again, you've reminded me that drawing is supose to be fun! thanks for the inspiration

Last edited by jim b; October 18th, 2007 at 01:26 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heres a little something that was inspired by 30 days of night. SOOO FUCKING PUMPED TO SEE THAT! was a quick sketch mainly just to get the idea down. I may rework this to a finished level some day when I'm bored, but I doubt it. Trying to break out and experiment with colour and mood more often.

JPW: Thanks man! Well I've got several ideas for graphic novels but have school to hold me back from really going gung ho on them. Im dropping out after this year though, and from there things should hopefully start rolling a bit faster. Love your stuff man, Its different, and yet nicely done.

Chiko: Thank you

kolqow65: Thank you, You should. 30 second gestures can be very helpful.

Gerbil Fetus: DRAW!

Jim B: Hey man, I feel like that sometimes too, when that happens I just make damn well sure I take a break, and draw something I love to draw. Glad to hear youve been reminded about why you started in the first place

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okes1DjLumo

Link to my latest Animation assignment.

Check it out and tell me what you guys think?!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    awesome man!
    im in my second year of animation now.
    i was going through your lifemodel drawings and was already wondering if you did something with animation. Great stuff, i envy your skills to capture movement.

I think the left hand doing a fast grab at the ball isnt too properly animated, altho i see what your trying to do there (drawing numerous arms in 1 frame to cause motion), but it can definately be more refined.

Check you later

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love the animation Braden, got a lot of subtle fluid motions and great weight distribution throughout. Its really not something i have experience critiquing, but this looks really strong to me. THe motion of the hands, legs and the twisting and weight distribution of the torso really get the feeling of motion and the heavyness of the ball, and then the strenght of the toss.
    30 days of night sketch looks good, nice atmosphere with the minimal work to it. Is that done in painter?

Nikola Odic
    sketchbook
    site

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heres some stuff from today's latest sketchadventure! Subway drawing in toronto with a couple buddies. I apologize for the lack of anything really fucking cool in this sketchbook, I just really enjoy drawing from life. Hopefully this preliminary layout design from school satisfies any of those cravings.

Lewis: Thanks man, your right about that left hand, it was a little poorly thought out.

Sirgreensock: Thanks man! Glad ya dig it. Yes, sketch is in painter X.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    woo love those layouts, cant wait to see em finished!
    I hope you didnt go to Toronto to only subway sketch (that gets 'spensive )

They look quite good, as usual you did a great job in getting some real personality in em. My crit was going to be that i wish you had slightly finished up some of em, or at the very least made them less choppy and more readable, but you got there by the end, so my crit is null and void. Maybe a slighty variation in style to suit each personality more wouldve helped a bit, the style you used is pretty harsh, which didnt work for more subtle characters like some of the womens.

Nikola Odic
    sketchbook
    site

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man this SB is awesome! I love your loose lines and your watercolors, looking at the latter makes me realize how much I still have to learn about them o_O
    I really like the different moods you create with the different palettes.
    Truly inspiring!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Holy shit are you ever prolific! I gotta get my ass in gear! killer life drawings man. Very gestural. You've got lots of cafe drawings and they look good but the only thing I can really say is PUSH THEM!!! Really caricature them and go extreme with head shapes and facial expressions!

Keep it up man for sure!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man...you can do so much with one line. Those gestures rock. I got to go do some gestures!...All of them...just have so much personality.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your stuff is awesome...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some stuff from the past week or so.

SirGreensock: you bet I just went to toronto to subway sketch. Never done it before so i figured the first time was worth the price LLOL. Your right about that, Its still hard to cartoonify woman, and yet have them retain their personality and appearance.

Entdroid: Thank you, but I highly doubt anything I do with watercolours could teach you anything. Im mainly a goauche sort of guy anyways, I prefer it for some reason.

Garrett Hanna: Hey man, thanks for the crits, Ive tried pushing my caricatures a bit more in this latest batch, still though, Ive got a long way to go until they are solid and amazing LOL.

Nyx702: Thank you, Im a big fan of line economy, although sometimes it takes me a few tries to hit a line, nobody can always be perfect.

PredatrHuntr: Thanks man.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey!

I apologize for not stopping by and commenting on your wonderful progress sooner! I just skimmed the first page of your SB, before I looked back at all of your newer work- such a difference! You always had the power (and by power, I mean earned skill) of gesture and character in your work, but your pages of studies- especially the life drawing work (which, by the way, is gorgeous... such simple curves that convey so much form and feeling)- has really pushed you forward in terms of both aforementioned qualities.

I can't stop ogling your numbered, ink life drawings, and your newest character sheet- the shape of the skull, the character in the facial expressions (especially the lipseseses), and the fluid curvature of the lines makes for a wonderful animated entity. Almost makes me miss animation... almost. ;}

Dude, I'm totally up for oCing sometime (soon). I'm interested to see how our styles will mix if we collab.

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.