best school for illustration?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: best school for illustration?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

best school for illustration?

I'm currently a junior, I know some of you have probably seen me around here lately. I've been seriously considering Ringling-- for illustration, but now I'm hearing from a student at Ringling that it isn't worth it, over priced for anything outside of CA.

Can anyone tell me the best schools for illustration- excluding anything in california?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well if you discount Ringling, you might look at RISD, SVA, or Art Institute of Chicago (?). Also, did you check out the Ringling thread, might not be good to make decisions on one student's bad experiences (you'll hear a story or two from every school in the country).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really? Is RISD truly supportive of illustration?

I've found that many "prestigious" and "cutting-edge" art schools or liberal-arts-schools-with-art-programs frown upon illustration these days. This has been a severe disappointment to me in my time at Carnegie Mellon University and now that I'm looking at graduate schools I'm concerned that I'll never find a place that supports the study of illustration. It occurred to me to check out RISD and so far I have not found any indication on its website that it is pro-illustration.

Has anyone here had illustration experience at RISD, or know anyone who has?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    http://www.scad.edu/academic/majors/idus/index.html

Industrial design seems to be the big thing for entertainment illustration and concepts, games or movies.

If I lived back east, I'd probably go there

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just talked to someone today about the price of Ringling's illustration program. Whenever I talk about Ringling I talk about the student work they have on display that amazed me. She says that it's very good, but that it's still overpriced. So basically it isn't a waste at all but for what it is, it could be cheaper in her opinion.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've heard some really good things about the Illustration Academy, a summer program that used to travel, being hosted at different schools, though I believe its just made a permanent home at Ringling. More info: http://www.illustrationacademy.com/HomePage.htm.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    CCAD (columbus college of art and design)
    Head illustration instructor = the legendary C.F Payne, winner of the Hamilton King Award from the Society of Illustrators (only one winner a year!) and also an instructor at the Illustration Academy (as mentioned in the above post)

Very traditional classical school, focus on drawing/painting and design

any more info about CCAD's illustration programs you guys?!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i dunno. art center's a pretty good school also to learn all your painting and such.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been looking into CCAD (columbus college of art and design), it's looking really good-- anyone have more comments on it?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by razuel
    I've been looking into CCAD (columbus college of art and design), it's looking really good-- anyone have more comments on it?
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=45792

Jason Manley is offline Administrator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,555 Times in 2,164 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    every illustration program is going to be somewhat similar. ringling has the advantage that the Illustration Academy is there in the summer. I attended both and I was able to get what I needed between them. The only issue with any of these illustration programs is there is not enough foundation time spent in core areas.

the student who said it wasnt worth it would find the same thing at academy of art, art center, or anywhere else that costs six figures to attend when you count expenses.

Art school is only what you make of it. Find a school with some faculty you respect, good strong connections to the employers, and a good foundation program.

Best,

Jason

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops 25% off registration right now!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

When thinking Illustration...

There are probably several good Illustration schools. SVA in NY, Ringling is very good and they have done some cool things there recently with their program (I might be biased because I am a Ringling grad).

I haven't looked lately, but I thought SVA had a Master's program and perhaps Parsons as well. Syracuse University used to have some good stuff going on.

At Laguna, we focus on a great deal on core fundamentals, and have hybrid majors through Ilustrations (linking it to either Graphic Design, Animation, or our figurative based Fine Arts program).

You should also be looking at Art Center in Pasadena. If you are coming to visit one, might as well visit the other.

Illustration has gone through a transition for sure. As far as helping decide where you want to go, always, always, always, look at the work being generated by the students. For example, Art Center and Ringling may have long repuations, but style may be considerably different, as well as the culture. SVA and Laguna, trust me are going to be very different experiences (i.e. New York City and Laguna Beach, CA)

So, take a look at ALL of these schools to get a better feel. Never initially search for the ONE school. Cast a wider net, bring your catch "into the boat" so you can examine for carefully and then start sorting them out.

Good luck,

Michael

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.