Seeking Art Education Resources in the NYC Metro Area

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Seeking Art Education Resources in the NYC Metro Area

Hi Everybody,

I'm fairly new to the forum. I only found it this week and decided to register after looking around at the various postings and whatnot. I take it a good healthy number of you guys are art students, semi-professionals, or really adept art enthusiasts so I figure I'd be more then welcome. Anyway, for the last few years I've been hanging out with friends which, I've gotta be honest are awe inspiringly good artists, who've inspired me to seriously invest in myself to become a better artist myself either by exampe or just with a few token words of encouragement.

As such I've spent the last three years seriously drawing, building up my fundamental understanding of life drawing, as it's been emphasized as an essential if I seriously desire to become better. So far everyone I know says though I'm still a relative beginner I'm getting better, but I feel I could do better faster as my human anatomy is still garbage. As such I've been on a standard hunt for art schools or at least locations that have reliable art instruction. For a while I had taken some Life Drawing classes at my college, but due to income constraints I had to drop out and work to support myself. I plan to return to drawing classes, but it's going to have to wait until next year when, hopefully, I'll have successfully enlisted into the Air force reserves.

Anyway, here's my question for those of you who live in the NYC metro area, aside for SVA, Parsons, and FIT, are there other locations I could get some serious art instruction that doesn't require me to deal with college applications and the like. I'd like to avoid that thing called a transcript for a while as it'd would screw up some of my game plans to have an art. I've already gotten information on the Art Student League in Manhattan, found out about some of the art courses offered at the Bronx Botanical Garden, but I know there's gotta be more I'm not seeing. I don't neccesarily want to go pro anytime soon, but I want to get good enough that I could at least humor the thought of applying to some good schools say 4 years down the line or something like that if I felt so inclined.

By the way, if anyone's had or knows about the "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" courses taught in the NYC area, I'd be more then eager to get some positive/negative info on them as I've heard mainly GOOD about taking them given I have a serious interest in taking one sometime soon. I already use an older copy of one of the course books by Betty Edwards, but I'm thinking taking one of the classes would do me some serious good.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Would it help if I list the resources I've found on my own aside for the art students league and the bronx botanical gardens incase others are doing the same thing in my city?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    do you have bad grades? most of the application is based on how much they like your art? prolly wont help cus im sure u already considered this but goto copper union :o)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I expect my choice to become an Air Force Reservist to hinder my ability to commit to a College/University art school without seriously developing my foundation knowledge of art before hand. I don't want to spend any of the money I'd have available for education through to find a few weeks before the semesters ended I have to pull out because I've got to train, or god forbid we have a war going on.

I'm sure colleges are really forgiving on military members, but I'd rather not do it if I can avoid it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    from my experience, if you're going to bother going into any art class, just to draw a live model, it's better to go to the Art Student's League. the teacher (life-drawing) comes in twice a week and can pay attention to you if you need it. Depending on your style of drawing, the two anatomy teachers to consider are Vavagiakis or Peter Cox. Peter Cox (I took a class last summer) teaches proportion and deep anatomy lessons. Vavagiakis teaches shading, form, and simpler ways to look at the model (kinda in the manner of Bridgman). if you are interested, I know an artist who teaches on Saturdays at his home. I don't know if you've heard of Wade Schuman. I've heard that he teaches at some art college in Manhattan. He charges $40 for three hours on Sat. and Wed. you (along with other students) sit and draw still lifes (usually whatever is in his studio, and believe me has has weird things in his studio like taxidermy stuff). he looks at your work. he gives you an honest evaulation. you can ask him specific questions if you'd like. he's really laid back and a great teacher. (you'd never feel inhibited around him, unlike with most college art teachers) I've learned more stuff from him in three months than I did in three years at an art hs school. he's a master painter, btw. you can email me for the phone number.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Almodovar: Thanks for helping me make some choices here. Feel free to PM me the info to get in touch with Wade Shuman as well, I'm sure it would be a great boon to have it. Again, thanks for the info.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You can find life drawing classes at the Society of Illustrators. Sessions are $5.00

i'm very interested in taking classes with Shuman, how can I find contact information?

Thank you

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have GOT to be retarded for reviving a thread that's 2 years dead, best suggestion I can give is note the folks who replied here for more info.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you for your "thoughtful" reply.
    I'm new to this forum, I quickly glanced at the month and assumed it was posted this year.

Members who have read this thread: 1