Sketchbook: STILL Pootling along

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

STILL Pootling along

REVIVAL (See last page)

STILL Pootling along

Hi all. Have been lurking for a little while to get the feel of the place. The standard of some of the work on here is awe inspiring..... so duly inspired here's my sketchbook.

I'll be updating regularly (yes they all say that!) and I'm in this for the long haul, so don't expect fireworks in 5 minutes.

I'd love to receive constructive/specific crits. I plan to work through the CA academy assignments (as well as other random stuff as uni work allows), so I'll try and link to them where appropriate, as suggested on the Academy discussion.

I'll start with some horses:
    This is from my photo of a statue in Paris. I plan to do it justice one day (hmmm wistful...). I was intriuged by the
    view point. There's something about statues, I think it goes something like; if the horse has only 2 legs on the ground then the rider died in the battle commemorated by the statue, 3 legs and they died of their wounds, all 4 legs and they died in a later battle or of natural causes. Then again that might be rubbish. Anyone?
    STILL Pootling along

This is from wherever this stuff comes from in your head:
    STILL Pootling along

Net ref. from image of statue. One day I'll draw this and you will (!) be able to tell whether its real or bronze.STILL Pootling along

Link to academy first assignment (hopefully)STILL Pootling along

Last edited by Pootle; October 26th, 2008 at 07:34 AM. Reason: Update - revival + thumbnail
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

love ur horses very nice linework n hatching O_O
    the first one is really cool

the scnd one -> This is from wherever this stuff comes from in your head: <- haha.. what u think where its coming from ? i have my own theorys
    horse is nice ... like the view and the horses pose

third one : cool ² .. isnt bronze real ?

keep u p ! and pose more ! >_<

psss ::: emotions are the source ! they know what we want ( to draw to eat to see to smell to) ........ (sweet reflections inside my heart )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A couple of rock climbing sequences:
    STILL Pootling along
    STILL Pootling along

Sideshowbob - I'll get back to you on <where it's coming from> interesting question; thinking about it, it's not 'inside your head' at all and I think the 'where' is misleading too...do you want to elaborate on your theories?

Um... oops, yeah bronze is 'real' I meant alive...think you got that anyway;-)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Uu I like those climbing pics. The second with more figures looks better to me of those two.
    Very nice horses also. The first one and the red agressive hatching really shows the strength of a horse.. eh

Heh, "where it comes from" sounds good. Keep on, I'll leave this discussion about neuropsychological philosophy for you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Neuro what?
    Some thoughts/hypotheses/questions:
    Everything came from 'out there' to start with; it's what happened after that where its get interesting (subconscious processing/analysis)?

Drawing something changes not only how you look (more carefully, analytically etc.) but something else kind of kinaesthetic, could be like training for sports, the muscles 'remember'?

Oh yeah, some drawings of varying time periods.
    The view from the window of my old house:
    STILL Pootling along
    Sketch for refurb. (US trans. remodelling?) of my current house. (Changed my mind anyway!)
    STILL Pootling along
    Likewise the living room
    STILL Pootling along

Coming soon:
    Academy assignment 1 (the first one not the starting out one).
    Some Bridgman studies (Finding these quite hard and so quite slow, watch this space...)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

minor breakthrough

This was based on one of the academy assignments, it has turned out to be pretty crucial breakthrough for me as I 've been trying to find a/some major error/s I consistently make in my portrait drawings, so here it is; my drawing and the ref I was trying to accurately copy with my drawing overlaid, I'm sure you'll spot it (and more) immediately but I'm still at the 'how to look properly' stage!
    STILL Pootling alongSTILL Pootling along
    And some Bridgeman studies, haven't done anything like this before....'ss hard!

STILL Pootling along STILL Pootling along
    STILL Pootling along
    Ta Da

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice studies and interesting variety of work. Luv the horses...you really capture their spirit and movement. Keep it up =)

That there is one damn fine coat you're wearing....

my CA sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great start. keep at those studies they will pay off in the long run. i like the interior of the house stuff, i really need to do more stuff like that.

post more

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    maknien: thanks, yeah I agree on the climbers, the second one looks like the limbs belong to different people! I do them as kind of loosening up exercises sometimes when I feel the need.

pls angel: thanks, I plan to, more (and hopefully better)horses soon.

oven g love: yeah, I'm learning a lot from them already. Thanks. On the interiors I want to develop them a bit more, shadows and more depth and textures.

Heres a few more bits, random sketching and some further line and shading exercises, something funny with the back of head/neck area in this first one, having trouble figuring out what.
    STILL Pootling along
    this one continues from the line drawing of the previous post.
    STILL Pootling along
    STILL Pootling along
    STILL Pootling along
    STILL Pootling along
    STILL Pootling along

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    horsies!!! I love them, they're really good!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Dellie. I hope to do some more horses soon, they're fun.

I had hoped to make a bit more progress with this anatomy stuff but....I'm going to do some work on proportion next - it looks like I need it!
    STILL Pootling along
    STILL Pootling along
    STILL Pootling along

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pootle, these are very nice. It's tough to do a comprehensive crit from the beginning, so I'll try to just give a feel, with some specific examples.

I agree that the assignment may have been a marked bend in the road (not certain where you're from, so I can't make country-specific road references), though perhaps not just in your reference work. In the earlier firgures, there were larger proportion irregularites, and perhaps a certain lack of "rhythm". In the more recent work, there are still proportion miscues (the ear on the face looking away is small and low), but they are much more subtle. I would characterize it is point blindness. You have a very good eye for what's going on, but after working for a while, your vision narrows and your hand gets away with mistakes you wouldn't have let it make five minutes earlier. Then it insidiously conspires with your vision center to make you overlook it. As an example, the latest Bridgman study (top single) seems to get smaller as you go down. One way to get around this is to mirror the piece every so often (I find this difficult unless I'm drawing on the computer) or perhaps map out where things will go prior to really laying down the harder pencil (light contruction lines strictly for flow and sizing). That watercolor piece has a lot of energy and the tension of him flowing out of the right side is actually balanced well with the complimentary conflict on the left side.

I love your interior pieces. They have a really clean energy, even with some residual sketchyness. A couple of the other environments seem a tad too restricted, however. For the one out your window, I was hoping for more direct observation, whereas now it appears more like an exercise in perspective (in the mid-ground wall, the bricks to the left of the gate are much larger than those on the right, and the tops, too, are different sizes). The bridge is very nice, but the right side seems a little wonky, as if it's not parallel. I really like the look, though.

I find drawing quick sketches of people really tough to make look right and I haven't cracked the code, yet, so I can't really comment on the folks on the barstools, other than to say I like the fact that they have life.

These are all coming along well and I'm looking forward to learning from each other (of course, if your profile were more complete, perhaps the experience would be enhanced for all involved).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ur studies are awesome like ur linework and teh perspective stuff (your rooms ? ) ... used ruler ?

i dunno if u understand u correctly ( ma poor english fault )

since we only have "1" reflexsive consciousness we only can percept things in our "head" thats the "where1" the real where of that thing u just percept in your head.. goes far far faaaaaaar beyond that spot where yu percept things.. its far beyond our refelxiv consciousness (thats why we are not aware of it - otherwise all ppl would do awesome art and evrybody would live their creativity) but.. somehow ur right.. the "where" is nothing u can reach or its no spot where u can "go" to - its real but its non-existant the only real existing thing of it is its "being" its the "existence" itselfs .. i think other cultures are familiar with the describing word called -> " Tao "

what you think ?

because of ma shity english i cant understand what say weith -> do you want to elaborate on your theories? <- can u explain pls ?

but.... iam still re-thinking all ma models and theories about this stuff.. and reconfiguring my brain modules to compute all this very complex and philosophical stuff otherwise i may just believ in my own imagination and i would think its real but its not ;D

keep up !

pss :: ..does it mean... u maybe want me do tell u some stuff about ma theories ?? here or maybe icq msn ?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was going to say the same thing.

(sideshowbob, your Location says you're in your body in cologne; are you sure you're still in your body? When was the last time you checked?)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow dogfood. Fantastic crit! Thanks.

Yeah, I agree about the 'rythmn', I think maybe I have focussed too much on the parts of the figure/drawing and lost the 'bigger picture'. I think this may be the source of some of my problems with the relative proportions. I think you are spot on about what happens after I have been working for a while, I suspect that drawing after a 15 hour working day (full time job + uni work) probably doesn't help! But hey, if I can draw then, I can draw anytime...

I'm gonna try a small mirror to to see if that helps, but I think mainly I need to be a lot stricter with myself, cos I often suspect that something is not quite right but don't know quite what, so don't fix it. I need to learn to trust my suspicions and fix stuff, I'm hoping this will help my eye too, so here's my attempted fix of the ever diminishing Bridgman study: STILL Pootling along
    I have tried to map out the extents of what I'm going to draw/number of heads high, but it never seems to work out right, from what you say it sounds like I need to do a lot more lines/spend more time on this before continuing with the drawing + this would help the rythmn.

Was pleased about what you thought of the w.col, I was focussing on the emotional content but it turned out a lot different to what I expected.

I hope to get some more feel into my perspectives and you're spot on about the exterior view. I did it as a kind of perspective from life exercise but it is way too wooden - I have to get the perspective working for me, not the other way around.

The piers on the bridge are really different heights - dunno why, but the perspective is shit anyway, the dwarf walls on the L and R should be the same height and I was sat way over to the right so I have no idea how I came up with a straight on p-o-v!

Drw from life...yeah umm can't do enough of that really. It's funny though after 2 or 3 lines I know if it's going to turn out ok or not.

Profile, yeah you've got me there; updated.

SSB: Ruler yes and no. Almost always on 2+ point but often just for the construction lines, rarely on 1pt or roughs, I think they suffer for it though. Not sure what's best in the long run.

hhm. language is a funny one, can spend sooo long and never reach the end of meaning. Philosophically it's hard to get past 'being' (interesting essay on this by Umberto Eco). You raise an interesting issue about precept/perception which maybe ties in to drawing what you see, not what you think. Was reading something the other day about how the eye/brain deals with depth, one particular item about distortions to perspective and how perception of depth is reduced in long corridor type spaces.
    Yeah, I'd like to hear your theories, I'm not on MSN though, so post, link, other... up to you :-)

drawing what I see; Bridgman, it's been a rough week so it's pretty thin, balance studies, no-one has fallen over yet, so I'm kind of clinging to that!
    STILL Pootling along
    STILL Pootling along

Last edited by Pootle; May 8th, 2005 at 05:32 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

horse scribbles

bad week
    horse scribbles and old stuff
    STILL Pootling along
    STILL Pootling along
    STILL Pootling along
    STILL Pootling along
    STILL Pootling along
    STILL Pootling along

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'll admit I'm not as certain on my horse anatomy, but most of them appear to have rather short legs. Really nice motion, though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dogfood:yeah now that you mention it... I think lots have feet/hooves missing entirely! ;-) Euphemistic cloud of dust, ermm. Damm, usually draw them too long! Thanks.

Here's a few more bits. Probably gonna be a bit thin for a while, uni etc.
    STILL Pootling along
    STILL Pootling along
    Some pretty dire (pre Bridgman studies) life drw. Still trying to find a class nearby.
    STILL Pootling along
    STILL Pootling along

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    STILL Pootling along
    another fountain
    STILL Pootling along
    @ REM concert
    STILL Pootling along

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    love your anatomy sketches...and the location right outside of your old window is very well rendered. glad to have you here at ca

-dan

Those who make religion their god will not have God for their religion.

Thomas Erskine

Crit for a Crit: My Online Sketchbook of Super Power Fun

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

oh god not more! (insert sarcasm smiley here?!)

ApolloNuevo; thanks man. I really should do view from new window, as it was ages since I moved, plus it's a kind of funky church.

Well, having not posted for ages, this is kind by way of (v. cliche'd) explanation.

STILL Pootling along
    STILL Pootling along

more, better, sooner (maybe grammar too!)

this too http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=52347

Last edited by Pootle; September 24th, 2005 at 06:37 PM. Reason: forgot about these

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow, some really great stuff.. i like your environments, becuase i hate doing them so much. the looseness is definately here, and i definately love loose.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

holiday sketch

adrianhaynes: hey thanks, I think it's more by accident than design!

Holidays; these are the church at Les Praz in the french Alps:
    STILL Pootling along
    STILL Pootling along

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

/eow entry!

STILL Pootling along

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice job so far man. the aquestrial sketches are nice, the figures are solid and your landscapes blossom with detail. kudos to you, and keep updating regularly. cheers.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    jtoons: thanks for the encouragement.

here's a couple of EOW attempts, I'm goint to try and do a bit more on these and try starting at the beginning with the digital painting thing, it's clear required (evidence below;--)
    STILL Pootling along

STILL Pootling along

......and the rest......

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pootling along quite nicely, I see! Good work on the anatomystudies!
    Good lookin' on the green EOW! But then I love thick atmospheres, so I would be biased

Keep 'em coming!

d-C

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks dCepT, I learnt loads doing those.

I finally found a taught life class so below is week 1, embarassing I know, but bear with me it WILL get better!

We did musical chairs with drawings (not posted) so we each had to draw on other peoples work, it was really interesting (not to mention quite intimidating); it put the emphasis much more on looking/evaluating than drawing.

STILL Pootling along
    STILL Pootling along
    STILL Pootling along

Some stuff from the Photoshop thread:
    STILL Pootling along
    STILL Pootling along

Last edited by Pootle; January 22nd, 2006 at 06:01 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, I hope this is going to work; more life drawing class. This week brush and stick (bit of bamboo from the garden). Power to the stick! it's bizarre...
    STILL Pootling along
    STILL Pootling along
    STILL Pootling along
    STILL Pootling along
    STILL Pootling along
    STILL Pootling along
    damn 6x....normal service will be resumed....when the IT dept. gets home.
    Ok, that should do it...

Last edited by Pootle; January 27th, 2006 at 02:24 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1