Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your drawings are so cool

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice drawings! cool quickies!! i give u 5 stars!

My Sketchbook

Life is a long lesson in humility.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your concepts have come a long way. Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    tuchten: thankyou muchly!
    stalsby: Thanks very much and cheers for the stars!
    sabe2003: thanks, i feel like i am making progress, there are just so many fronts to improve on!!

updates:
    3 apeedies all 20 mins in photoshop
    a staight in photoshop no ref lady
    & lord Ganesha!

Attached Images Attached Images          

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ahoy hoy! great color palette for these sketches - really works well with the lively characters and strokes! always an inspiration - you keep my mustache whiskers pointed in excitement!

ps-someday...that teal doctor sketch will be my avatar(please!)!!

timmy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    Bloody nice experiments as of late dude.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    mrgrumble: a pleasure to have a man of your abilities around these parts: you have one of the freshest styles of anyone i have seen for a long time. love it! feel free to plunder any of my humble doodles for any purpose you see fit: i would be honoured

idiotapathy: thansk for popping by: you are inspiration in terms of being experimental: love the range of stuff that you accomplish. you might like this next one: i dont often spend time on pieces but i buckled down on this: me and the lads set ourselves a project of 1950s pinnup this wekk and here is my effort:

other updates: pencils for pinup, a few lunchtime speedies and some early thumbs for another little activity.

hope you all enjoy!

Last edited by cakeypigdog; February 1st, 2007 at 11:25 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am very inspired by your work. Wow. I really love your spreads of little black and white thumbnails of different characters and creatures. Very nice. I'm definitely hitting the subscribe on this one.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awww yeah, nice classic pin-up! You use ref? Super impressive if not, really impressive if ya did . I do think the exterior edges could use some lovin, they all seem to be really sharp, leaves it with a bit of a disconnect with the background. Not sure if you said you were finished or not, but you're missing some fingernails!

Loving this guy too,
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1169834440
    Weapon is a bit odd but I like what the shape does for the composition.

Cheers dude!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great job on the pin up, Jake. You managed to mix hard and soft edges very well and the tones are very Elvgren. The enviro speedy is very nice as well. You should do more of those.

Keep it up, mang!

Ta, Nick.

The scrawny white sketchbook ring
    OISHIINIKU CAKEYPIGDOG MYA RES D-BAKER ASHAB
    DAVISON

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that pinups really nice- like the lighting/skintones on thighs especially.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    eXplosiveLimes: thankyou very, very much glad you like it!

Idiot Apathy: That one was reffed, i dont often but i thought i ought to for this one i was amaing to get close to gill elvgren (bob hope) and he used pretty exact reference for his stuff. Was fun to do: way out of my comfort zone. I agree entirely about the outline (and the finger - duh) and will fix her soon! thanks for your crits mate very useful as usual wish there were more like you on this site!

oishiiniku: heh ho mr carver, thank you muchly. ps. you rock :p

newman: cheers benjamin, much appreciated! looking forward to your wedding mate, should be fun!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You are more than welcome. I would really like to know, where do you get your inspiration from? Also, is this Photoshop I'm seeing, or do you use Painter for the most part?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    explosive limes: hmmm. Inspiration comes from lots of different places for me. I am very lucky as my job is absolutley wicked! I work with a very talented team of character artists and each of them is very motivated to experiment abd develop artistically. It is a very inspirational atmosphere to be in.

In terms of the thumbnailing: i really recomend the book by design studio press: 'the skillful hunstman' it is about the development side of the design process and it contains some wonderful work.

In doing the thumbnails i am very concious of hitting new shapes and forms. I work very zoomed out so they are small on the screen. Use quite a big brush and just gesture forms with just a few strokes for each thumb. I fill the page with lots of these very small, very loose thumbs. just go with your gut feeling. the main trick is to keep loose and open but at the same time try and see things in the abstract shapes you have made. Once i have laid down the overall shapes i work back into them to refine them slightly and add bits of detail.

I would also say that reference is very useful. I do not usually work dutectly from reference but i am always looking in reference books and trying to absorb things. The more you absorb the visual world around you the more it will feed back into your work. I would also say that i am no expert and am really at the begining of this process. Its only the last 2 years that i have been pushing myself properly with my art. The more you put in the more you get out.

I use 99% photoshop. I do love painter but, for me, its frustrating to use. Go to M@'s exclusive sketchbook and download his amazing photoshop brushes. They really changed photoshop for me: some wonderful textural brushes in there. Also play with making textured brushes too. In pshop you can add texture to any of your brushes. I still use painter sometimes: on that pinup i used it to blend my tones: its blenders are great. It also has a better feel with most of the tools compared to pshop too.

Well its not often i bother writing like that in my sb, you caught me in the mood i guess! hope it helps! feel free to ask more if i havent quite answered you right thanks again for your interest!

Last edited by cakeypigdog; January 30th, 2007 at 03:10 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The Doctor Is Checking Your Chart...

Powerful work here <> expressive, creative and consistent <> saw you dropped by my thread just checking out what you have been up to.

Dropped a well deserved 5 stars on you....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, thanks for the very detailed response. I do try to look at a lot of things like work by artists that I find inspiring, sculptures, comics, movies, video games, even fashion design.

I have played around with the customizable brushes in photoshop a bit, but not enough. I have an older version of painter, and I always loved the way the blending tools felt as compared to Photoshop, but I too find it a little frustrating. I think I need to give it more of a chance though.

One more question then I promise I'll leave you alone, uh, at least for a little while. Where do you work, and how did you get into that line of work? I went through the Graphic Design and Photography studies at college and enjoyed every bit of it, but I really want to get into illustration as my career. I'm finding it pretty hard getting into illustration as a career and any tips would be very welcome.

Thanks again!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    mentler: honoured to have you here mate, love the deication you have in your book. thanks for the stars too

designboot: why thank you very much !

explosive limes: I work in the character department of free radical design (a games company) my daily job includes designing building, texturing and rigging characters for games. Most of the guys in my sketch book ring (all except res) are in my departmet here. The job is wicked (zbrush being the best bit- we have to make high resolution sculps of everything first and then bake the information down on to game meshes). Its great anatomy practice!

My sketchbook stuff is all from my spare time. one thing with 3d modeling all day is that it makes you want to loosen up a bit when you do your other bits of art!

I did a degree in fine art before i had this job (it was fun but that should really read contemporary art) - i did very little in the way of learning traditional skills whilst on that course. Once i graduated i spent a year back home living at my folks just learning the software and making a portfolio for the games industry. (it was poo)

I have been here 3 years now and it just gets better and better. The portfolio i got on with 3 years ago would not even get me interviewed now though, things have moved on so much technically that you really have to be of an excellent standard to succeed. I have been very busy trying to bring my skill level up to where it ought to be by my ripe old age!
    hope this helps!

sorry for posting without an update folks: wont do it again, promise!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow! Lots of work you got there! I love that Lion-O. As for the figure studies, you have a good eye for observation but, try to move thru the form when you're drawing. Like build up a "skeletal blueprint" and build up your muscles, fat, and organs from there. Be careful and watch where they join and where they end up, they can look almost lifelike when you do this. You have a lot of unique ideas.. flesh em out!

I'm looking for work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That is really awesome. So what would you suggest someone like me should work on if I wanted to get into the video game industry now as a concept artist. What should my portfolio contain? Do I need 3D experience? Are there jobs available for someone who works only in 2D? I hope you don't mind all these questions, but I have always wanted to get into concept art either for video games or the motion picture industry. Now that I have graduated with a degree in Graphic Design and Photography focusing heavily on Illustration in my spare time between classes, I don't really have much of an idea of what is needed to get into that line of work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great skills in computer and drawings, makes me want to start photoshop! You have many great different ideas, it would be cool if I had too. Your art is really really cool, love it.
    I read many of your explanations about photoshop and it helps to understand. thanks!

My sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Great Shapes Mate!

Hey man looks like your hitting some great shapes latley all v-sexy, big dude with axe has loads of menace excellent work!

I look foward to our next bIg art-meet up in town.

cheers

Last edited by D-BAKER; February 3rd, 2007 at 03:08 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whoa! Great stuff in here! Love those gray thumbnails. Very impressive!
    Keep up the fine work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi everyone!

shidoken: thanks for the critique. I went life drawing on thursday and tried to implement what you said. i had a real good time. will keep playing with it: i agree that a lot of my life stuff is a bit flat: more time observing than anylising...

eXplosiveLimes: hmm thats a tough one. Concept artist poitions are very very rare in the uk. My company employs 150 + people but no concept artists. The skill level is just so high for that kind of work. I get to do some concepting at work but i am mostly a modeller, texturer etc. Check out the massive black portfolio in finally finished: that is the level you need to achieve if you want to be a concept artist. Its a long term goal for me too but i imagine it will take me years of dedication to be good enough.

If you want to get a job as a games artist (modeling, texturing etc.) then you really need to learn the tools of the trade: mya, max, zbrush etc. as well as learining anatomy and draughstmanship). There are positions for people without these software skills but only if they are achieving a massively high standard of artwork in there 2d/ traditional. Dan baker (on my sketchbook ring) is an example of someone who had little experience of 3d but had the skills to make employing him and training him worthwhile, check his stuff out. Even then that was a luxury: normally people have to be able to do the job straight off the bat. I would say just work work work at your art. These forums are a great place to share what you are doing and get constructive criticism from your peers. keep on trucking!

spartiate: thanks very much! photoshop is fun!

D-BAKER: hi danielson. nice to see you round these parts, looking forward to the next little project too!

Flaskpost: a thankyou very much!!

updates:
    2 20 odd minute speedies
    a 40 minute-er
    and a little illustration for my nephew. He designed the characters a while back i and i made him a little poster - tshirt of them for his birthday. was great fun! something a bit cleaner than i normally do.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, I really like the crazed pink lady slashing all those suits. Nice! Thanks for your insight, I really appreciate it! I will continue to pop in on your sketch book quite often to see what you're up to. Thanks again for your help!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Excellent speedpaintos, I like artists who can lay down some confident strokes, such as yourself.

Maestro Andres is offline It's just a nickname, still too far from being one... Level 7 Gladiator: Samnite
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome sketchbook. I love your thumbnail studies, very inspiring, and the paintings are superb. Nice variety of styles. You just won one more fan

SKETCHBOOK SUPPORTGROUP #48
    Maestro Andres | CouchPotato | Mono2k5 | Sawa | 0shade0

"The aim of figure drawing is never to copy the model but to analyze it." - sfa

Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 781 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    This made me laugh! I love your little characters. Dang I will be starting this when I get home tonight! Woo!

You make art so fun! ;] Please don't stop updating, ever!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,429 Times in 152 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I am becoming a fan!! lots of awsome work! your character work is really solid! yay!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Inspiring! Lot's of diversity! It was nice to hear you talk about your process too. Thanks for sharing the info.

"absorb what is useful, discard what is useless, and keep what is essentially your own." - Bruce Lee

Bojee's Monkey Brain
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...=29869&page=54

Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.