Page 14 of 53 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Wow, thanks for the very detailed response. I do try to look at a lot of things like work by artists that I find inspiring, sculptures, comics, movies, video games, even fashion design.

I have played around with the customizable brushes in photoshop a bit, but not enough. I have an older version of painter, and I always loved the way the blending tools felt as compared to Photoshop, but I too find it a little frustrating. I think I need to give it more of a chance though.

One more question then I promise I'll leave you alone, uh, at least for a little while. Where do you work, and how did you get into that line of work? I went through the Graphic Design and Photography studies at college and enjoyed every bit of it, but I really want to get into illustration as my career. I'm finding it pretty hard getting into illustration as a career and any tips would be very welcome.

Thanks again!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks

Thanks
    mentler: honoured to have you here mate, love the deication you have in your book. thanks for the stars too

designboot: why thank you very much !

explosive limes: I work in the character department of free radical design (a games company) my daily job includes designing building, texturing and rigging characters for games. Most of the guys in my sketch book ring (all except res) are in my departmet here. The job is wicked (zbrush being the best bit- we have to make high resolution sculps of everything first and then bake the information down on to game meshes). Its great anatomy practice!

My sketchbook stuff is all from my spare time. one thing with 3d modeling all day is that it makes you want to loosen up a bit when you do your other bits of art!

I did a degree in fine art before i had this job (it was fun but that should really read contemporary art) - i did very little in the way of learning traditional skills whilst on that course. Once i graduated i spent a year back home living at my folks just learning the software and making a portfolio for the games industry. (it was poo)

I have been here 3 years now and it just gets better and better. The portfolio i got on with 3 years ago would not even get me interviewed now though, things have moved on so much technically that you really have to be of an excellent standard to succeed. I have been very busy trying to bring my skill level up to where it ought to be by my ripe old age!
    hope this helps!

sorry for posting without an update folks: wont do it again, promise!

Thanks
    Wow! Lots of work you got there! I love that Lion-O. As for the figure studies, you have a good eye for observation but, try to move thru the form when you're drawing. Like build up a "skeletal blueprint" and build up your muscles, fat, and organs from there. Be careful and watch where they join and where they end up, they can look almost lifelike when you do this. You have a lot of unique ideas.. flesh em out!
    I'm looking for work!

Thanks
    That is really awesome. So what would you suggest someone like me should work on if I wanted to get into the video game industry now as a concept artist. What should my portfolio contain? Do I need 3D experience? Are there jobs available for someone who works only in 2D? I hope you don't mind all these questions, but I have always wanted to get into concept art either for video games or the motion picture industry. Now that I have graduated with a degree in Graphic Design and Photography focusing heavily on Illustration in my spare time between classes, I don't really have much of an idea of what is needed to get into that line of work.

Thanks
    Great skills in computer and drawings, makes me want to start photoshop! You have many great different ideas, it would be cool if I had too. Your art is really really cool, love it.
    I read many of your explanations about photoshop and it helps to understand. thanks!

My sketchbook

Thanks

Great Shapes Mate!

Hey man looks like your hitting some great shapes latley all v-sexy, big dude with axe has loads of menace excellent work!

I look foward to our next bIg art-meet up in town.

cheers
    Last edited by D-BAKER; February 3rd, 2007 at 04:08 PM.

Thanks
    Whoa! Great stuff in here! Love those gray thumbnails. Very impressive!
    Keep up the fine work!

Thanks
    hi everyone!

shidoken: thanks for the critique. I went life drawing on thursday and tried to implement what you said. i had a real good time. will keep playing with it: i agree that a lot of my life stuff is a bit flat: more time observing than anylising...

eXplosiveLimes: hmm thats a tough one. Concept artist poitions are very very rare in the uk. My company employs 150 + people but no concept artists. The skill level is just so high for that kind of work. I get to do some concepting at work but i am mostly a modeller, texturer etc. Check out the massive black portfolio in finally finished: that is the level you need to achieve if you want to be a concept artist. Its a long term goal for me too but i imagine it will take me years of dedication to be good enough.

If you want to get a job as a games artist (modeling, texturing etc.) then you really need to learn the tools of the trade: mya, max, zbrush etc. as well as learining anatomy and draughstmanship). There are positions for people without these software skills but only if they are achieving a massively high standard of artwork in there 2d/ traditional. Dan baker (on my sketchbook ring) is an example of someone who had little experience of 3d but had the skills to make employing him and training him worthwhile, check his stuff out. Even then that was a luxury: normally people have to be able to do the job straight off the bat. I would say just work work work at your art. These forums are a great place to share what you are doing and get constructive criticism from your peers. keep on trucking!

spartiate: thanks very much! photoshop is fun!

D-BAKER: hi danielson. nice to see you round these parts, looking forward to the next little project too!

Flaskpost: a thankyou very much!!

updates:
    2 20 odd minute speedies
    a 40 minute-er
    and a little illustration for my nephew. He designed the characters a while back i and i made him a little poster - tshirt of them for his birthday. was great fun! something a bit cleaner than i normally do.

Thanks
    Hey, I really like the crazed pink lady slashing all those suits. Nice! Thanks for your insight, I really appreciate it! I will continue to pop in on your sketch book quite often to see what you're up to. Thanks again for your help!

Thanks
    Excellent speedpaintos, I like artists who can lay down some confident strokes, such as yourself.

Maestro Andres is offline It's just a nickname, still too far from being one...
    Thanks
    Awesome sketchbook. I love your thumbnail studies, very inspiring, and the paintings are superb. Nice variety of styles. You just won one more fan
    SKETCHBOOK SUPPORTGROUP #48
    Maestro Andres | CouchPotato | Mono2k5 | Sawa | 0shade0

"The aim of figure drawing is never to copy the model but to analyze it." - sfa

Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 781 Posts
    This made me laugh! I love your little characters. Dang I will be starting this when I get home tonight! Woo!

You make art so fun! ;] Please don't stop updating, ever!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,432 Times in 152 Posts
    I am becoming a fan!! lots of awsome work! your character work is really solid! yay!

Thanks
    Inspiring! Lot's of diversity! It was nice to hear you talk about your process too. Thanks for sharing the info.
    "absorb what is useful, discard what is useless, and keep what is essentially your own." - Bruce Lee

Bojee's Monkey Brain
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...=29869&page=54

Page 14 of 53 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast