schools in Pennsylvania
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

schools in Pennsylvania

Looking for schools in pennsylvania. I have looked at out of state schools just wondering if there is anything note worthy in pennsylvania.
    How are the Art Institutes chain school thing in Pennsylvania? My art teacher seems to think they're great, saying that they are good in pennsylvania because they started here.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    maybe check these out to start

www.temple.edu/tyler <<you'll find me here
    www.uarts.edu
    www.pafa.org << very atelier style; first art school in the country, degrees through UPenn
    www.moore.edu (all female)

also check out
    penn state main's art department,
    arcadia university
    carnegie mellon university
    kutztown university of pennsylvania

good luck!

if you have any questions about temple/ tyler feel free to ask

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for help.

Anyone have any other information on Uarts?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Their site is pretty good at explaining most everything. The layout hides a bit =) Suffice it to say they deserve more credit than they get. University of Michigan is pretty much as Ivy League as you can get without being in the Ivy League; well, Uarts is as strong as you can get before you hit the top-tier world-class places. I used to live near Philadelphia and was aiming for them before moving to Florida. I even got a chance to meet one of their honors graduates...Like any place, if you work your arse off the good things will flow...but all that hard work might pay off a bit more at a place like Uarts...

As an aside my art teacher in high school went to Kutztown...I don't know if it's his talent, the school, or a combo, but he didn't have any complaints and can paint circles around most anyone I know (so to speak haha)...

Oh and Carnegie Mellon has excellent graduate programs...

And I do know a recent Pixar hiree came from Tyler...he used to share an apartment with a friend of mine...He was good enough to get in, but he said he felt no school could prepare him for the amount of work he had to face...Might just be his personality...

None of this is scientific evidence, just sharing my tidbits for however they might be useful...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "And I do know a recent Pixar hiree came from Tyler..."

that's awesome, do you know what he majored in, what year he graduated??

Tyler has a weird "i know somebody who knows somebody" relationship with cg...
    Richard Cramer, prof. I had before he retired, has family that runs bluesky and my figure painting teacher Chuck Schmidt has a son who does vfx for Sony...

Last edited by H.Evans; April 13th, 2005 at 10:28 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Hillary, I got into Tyler and will be starting in the fall.

D

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    fall 2005? cool see ya then! the 2005-2006 year will be my senior year. Do you live in the philadelphia area? we need sketchjams!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I will ask next time I see the apartment-owner friend. He hasn't spoken with him in a while because I think they were more acquaintances because he was a tenant rather than because they really cared for each other, but he should know that info more than likely...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you're interested in conceptual art (not like the kind on this site, I mean socio-political commentary conveyed by "found objects" and installation art), Carnegie Mellon University is the place for you.

If you're interested in developing strong technical skills, learning traditional painting, or--god forbid--study illustration, CMU is NOT the place for you. I spent two and a half years learning this the hard way. There, "illustration" is a dirty, dirty word. I'm serious.

The sculpture facilities (for ceramics, wood, and metal) are pretty good, but drawing is seen as merely seen as a means to an end: a conceptual end. They'll give you some training, but not a whole damn lot.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Depending on your intended major - UARTS can be a good, or extremely sketchy pick for school. They have excellent Industrial Design and graphic Design departments (GD is founded on the Swiss school of design or somesuch). Illustration can be iffy. Some of the traditional illustrators at the school are quite excellent, and I've seen some great work out of te student body. However, the school is totally backwards in regards to teaching digital art. I'm nearing the end of my sophomore year and currently know more than any of my teachers about photoshop - which is pretty iffy.

The school's also overly expensive, tuition is high and for no great reason. If your looking at it, let me know, otherwise I'd check out PAFA, Tyler is quite strong as well, from what I hear.

"You're not going crazy, Arthur! You're going sane in a crazy world!" - The Tick

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    haha tyler's good for some technical skills, has some good resources, but even more iffy in illustration, as there is ONE professor. Who is a great guy, good teacher, but is like an older veteran from new york and only wants to teach editorial type stuff. i kind of wish for more instructors t o get more than one persepective, but at this time tyler is what i can afford.

Computer wise, mostly the adobe and macromedia suites are used, the CAD classes are for jewelry only and they use rhino3d. There are older versions of maya, 3dsmax, xsi, autocad, ou name it on the computers from what i remember. ...So i built myself a good painting computer that can do CAD and games and i'm teaching myself xsi, maya ple etc on my own.

Tyler's painting and drawing profs are great. There are a couple exeptionally strong figure professors.

Until the move downtown in a few years (well after i graduate) I think school might remain a bit old fashioned. There is emphasis on career advancement for the GD students, maybe also photo and printmaking students, but no so much for the PDS/ fine arts section. Overall the school is not commercially minded, rather it is or tries to be scholarly in nature. Thats why it is not concerend with being strong in ID or Illustration. **its kind of a shame the school doesnt do ID b/c the sculpture shops are huge and well equipped**

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.