Art: Creativity, how do we get it?

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Creativity, how do we get it?

I posted this at another art forum, but I'd love to hear all of your thoughts on this.

Someone IMed me the other day and asked me "how does someone get creative?" and for some reason the question stunned me. I was about to give him that "go look at things that inspire you" response, but I realized that (at least for me), it doesn't really spark my creativity. it just brings forth a desire to make something similar to whatever just inspired me. Thoughts?

P.S - sorry to make two threads at the same time, but I felt that both were good questions that need to be answered, and are of a very different nature, so they should get different threads.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Creativity can come in various ways...

I think being calm, focused, with an uncluttered mind, with the task at hand to be done inspires alot of creativity.

Or you hear something, see something, put it together with other thoughts, and something fun is born.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    1. Start by looking at some great art (don't restrict yourself to contemporary-big mistake to do that). Don't do this for longer than 30 minutes, absolute maximum, otherwise you'll just keep looking for ages and never do anything active.
    2. Copy something you find that you think looks good. Any medium..it doesn't matter, just get yourself doing something. It is good to copy good stuff (for practice of course), as long as you then take what you've learned rather than simply copying everything.
    3. Make sure you're drawing constantly. Don't try to do everything from your head, make sure you do lots of studies from life.
    4. Try drawing something from a book you enjoy, like a scene, character, object etc. Draw frames from films...do a few and then try doing some that have a similar feel to them, but aren't copied off the screen. This should get the imagination and creative juices going.
    5. Do art with other people. I've found this to be so much better than on your own. You can bounce ideas off each other and it can open your mind to new things.
    6. If you find yourself stuck doing the same thing, or doing nothing, try out a new medium. If you've never done oils, do oils. If you've never done charcoal do charcoal...ink...collage...sculpture...whatever. You may find it's not your thing but you may discover something new.
    7. Spill ink,paint or coffee or something onto some paper then try to find something in it and draw that into it. Don't be restricted by the exact shape of the spilled mark, but go with what you kinda see. I've found this has helped me come up with more interesting compositions particularly.

Those are my suggestions. It should flow, the more you do it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The clearing your mind concept might sound cliche or vague but it is really true. I get some of my best ideas in that hour while I'm trying to sleep, cuz I have nothing to in particular to think about, so my mind wanders. Also When Im jogging my mind wanders so i ussually get some ideas then too.

Also, the coffe stain technique that was mentioned actually has some psychological basis for it. I read about gestalt theory, where your mind tries to piece together imcomplete images/ideas. Therefore if a coffe stain has a peculiar shape it could spark something that leads to something original. The same idea is behind just making haphazard marks on a page. one mark isn't much, but you put another one down and another, and pretty soon your mind starts to see a ghost of something substantial there. So you fill in the rest.

In other words:

one mark spurs an imagined image, which leads to you putting another mark down which spurs you to enhance the idea of the image you "see" by adding more too it. And so it's perpetuated.

Sorry, that was kinda long winded, but I felt like I was on a roll.

Keep on Drawin'...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I wake up hungover, and REALLY motivated to draw, very bizarre, but it works for me lol!

Peace

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.