Sketchbook: Pan's Sketchbook

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Pan's Sketchbook

Ok, here I go. This is going to be my daily sketchbook thread, but since I'm just starting out, I'll post some things from the last month or so (a few of these are from about January or so, but nothing older than that).

I'm really envious of the artists I see who seem so motivated that they draw tirelessly everyday with enthusiam. I seem to have lost some of my own enthusiam along the way (college and work and so on), so starting now, I'm going to work to get my drive back.

Pan's Sketchbook

Pan's Sketchbook

Pan's Sketchbook

Pan's Sketchbook

Pan's Sketchbook

Pan's Sketchbook

Pan's Sketchbook

Pan's Sketchbook

Pan's Sketchbook

Pan's Sketchbook

Last edited by Pan; May 16th, 2005 at 12:05 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really nice work. The feeling of the moment(or of your mind) seems captured in your work, wich is (to what i learned till now) the most important thing. My favorites are on color paper with white highlights. I wish I could draw caracters and anatomy like those!

We started our sketchbook thread at the sametime, that's stupid but that's the reason why i'll follow it with interest

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this stuff is nice. nice lines, nice costumes, nice poses... nice.nice nice.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, you've got some great stuff going on here man, where'd you go to school (I assume an art school)? Kinda tough to crit, but if I were to suggest something it would be to push your values a bit more. Also the one guy you have seems a little rushed in comparison to the rest. Your females are all well done and those hand studies are spot-on. Keep posting man.

Also on the enthusiasm, I also tend to lack that real energy when I first start, kinda have to drag myself to the art desk. But once I build up a little momentum, I'm usually able to get it going. The right tunes help a bit too. Good Luck.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice. I really like the way you draw females. You have good creativity, too. As with just about everyone, more life studies will make improvement. Sorry I don't anything else to add, good work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dude, I love your sketches, some really fantastic stuff.

But you've forgotton something! TODAY'S SKETCH!

Our group gotta rock it, and it comes down to posting, come on now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The pics are looking good i understand what it feels like to get cought up in a busy life and not get a chance to draw.

If i shoot the J then its "Good"

please hit up the SKETCHBOOK

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah man, post already!
    But anyways, I really dig the sketches so far. I'll try to force some crits outta me... On the very first sketch, I think you portray her face to be much too triangular/wedge-shaped. HER left eye wouldn't be that squashed, as well as her right eye not being so far to her right. Remember that there is usually one eye-space inbetween the two eyes. As you turn the head more towards a profile view, that space becomes smaller and smaller. Try and remember that.
    Keep up the good work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Odds, HugeHarHar - Haha, great job you guys. Thanks for the prodding. It's just before midnight where I am but I'll try to post earlier.

SeraphSword- Tunes are essential; I have my iTunes on almost nonstop As for school, I went to Moore College of Art in Philadelphia. I majored in Illustration but I've been slacking off in the years that I graduated, so time to step it up. Thanks for the crits and for iniating the Sketch Support groups.

So thanks for the comments everyone. I really want to step up my game here, so every little bit helps. Here are my sketches for today.

A self portrait (about an hour) and some quick figure sketches from reference.

Pan's Sketchbook

Pan's Sketchbook

Last edited by Pan; May 16th, 2005 at 12:06 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whoa, those figure studies flow well. I would keep an eye on a slight drop in confidence in the groin area, as those ares seem to be the sketchiest. The self-portrait, basically, it a bit wonky about where the bottom of the nose meets the rest of the face. Too flat in the edge it makes, which makes the mouth and all of the area below the nose look like it's too far into the face.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice stuff. what brush do you use in painter?

cool beans to you...my friend.
    sKeTcHbOoK update page3 (scroll to the bottom of page)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    whoa. impressive, and you look beautiful in that sp..
    the ONLY thing i have to crit on this post is the width of the woman's waist in the top-middle drawing. even if it is the realistic proportion, i think that you could've pushed the waist/buttox a little further. keep it up, and we'll keep critting.
    BTW; sorry for referring to you as "man" in my previous post. never again, never again...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very cool, like those figure drawings, and that SP looks pretty good. Looks like you've got a chip on your shoulder about somethin' (If it was those "man" comments I apologize, just another chauvinist pig here ).

I agree on the iTunes. iTunes on my comp, iPod when I'm at the drawing board, I'm useless without music.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hah, so I must join in and apologize, though the word Dude is a very general word...hm...

Anyways, for what they were done for, they accomplished it quite nicely.
    The self portrait has form, nice rendering, and you made a wonderful image of yourself.

I'm glad I got thrown into your sketch group.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Sketchbook Support Group

SHANES 3 POINT CRITIQUE:

• First thing that I see when I open your book is that you have a good groove going on. Your lines are clean and your figures are in proportion. You've got a handle on what you are doing.
    • I like the creativity vibe you have in the last couple of pieces. I would be interested in seeing more of that. Also, just to balance things out, I'd personally like to see more males.
    • Your self portrait is fantastic. I think it would be good for you to do either more of them, or bring some of your sketches to the same level of completion.

IN CONCLUSION: Wow. Almost didn't know what to say here. You're book is tight, and shows a lot of control in almost all areas. Thumbs up.

~Shane

Character of the Week :: A weekly character exploration activity.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good evening, Pan! Lookin' forward to tonight's sketches.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My update is kind of lame today. I have had the most craptacular day. I got a ticket (my first ever) on my way to my car inspection which I subsequently failed, so now I have a "REJECTED" sticker on my windshield, which pretty much sums up how I feel at the moment.

HugeHarHar and Odds - You know, I would have never thought twice about the "dude" comments, if you hadn't apologized for them. I got a chuckle out that I say "dude" a lot myself, so no worries.

SeraphSword - I'm normally in a fair mood, but I must look cranky on the outside because I'm told quite often that I look like that. Go figure.

Oregano - I definitely agree that I need to draw guys more often....I'm weak. I like drawing women. They're easier.

dadamafia - I use Digital Airbrush, usually tweaked the way I like it. I also use a few of my own brushes and Grainy Water with the paper contrast set very low.

Anyway, thanks for the comments. guys (?). I will try to post some more substantial stuff tommorow.

Pan's Sketchbook

Last edited by Pan; May 16th, 2005 at 12:08 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sorry about the bad day.

awesome sketch, though! the first thing i kind of wish you had done differently is light her a little more dynamically. the straight light on the face gets a bit boring for me. at least you did a nice job on the type of lighting you chose to pursue. great pose, though. diggin' the speedy feel to it, also. keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

S B S G

Oooooh very nice. I'm so happy you're a girl. I like the girl sketch.

Crit: The value on the girls nose is too dark and make her look like she's drunk. The right boobie looks like its a bit too far to the center of the chest. She seems not to have eyeballs, maybe add a glimmer to her eyes. It's nice ... better than my crappy sketch I did today lol.

Eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow we die.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sounds like when I got pulled over for one of my head lights being out, and I got two more tickets because the idiots I was driving around wouldn't put their seat belts on. I definitly wasn't rocking a happy vibe for a few days.

I really enjoy the last peice, the face is partically awesome. My only crit is that the breast on the left seems to be very close to the center, like it's to far right.

I really enjoy your style, and you have some awesome dress designs. The dresses seem almost natural.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, my ticket was for "obstructed view" for these beaded necklaces I had hanging from my rearview mirror At least it wasn't a moving violation. I live in New Jersey, my insurance sucks already. I'm afraid to drive at night now until I get my headlight fixed (it was the main thing I got failed for in my inspection). Ugh, here's to better times.

Just two bits for tonight. I wanted to do some creative stuff, but just no time. Hopefully this weekend, I'll be able to have some fun.

One quickie self portrait, about an hour
    Pan's Sketchbook

And an excerise that I did a few times when I was in school. I've slacked off on my life drawing for so long, so I thought it would be nice to get back to some basic stuff. I used Michelangelo's David for the ref.
    Pan's Sketchbook

Last edited by Pan; May 16th, 2005 at 12:10 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, the grayscale one, awesome. Just awesome. I would watch the straightness of the back, as either the front or the back would not be that straight.

About the skull study, I think the chin is pointing too far away from us, like too far to the left. That could be just a misplaced shadow or something similar, yeah, take a look at it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very cool update. The self portrait is awesome! Also, the figure studies are really tight. I wish I had that much confidence in my lines! Keep this up, I am really impressed by the past few updates

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

S B S G

Crit: The self-portrait is very good. I should do that more often myself. The other sketch is great too. I have no crit

Eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow we die.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Sbsg

good evening, pan.
    another great self-portrait
    although, i would be careful with the green tones you put in such a warm piece like this. i'm referring to the strokes near the bottom of the cheeks. also, the bottom lip reads as if it's chopped off on YOUR left side. this is because that highlight sort of blends with the rest of the skin around it. try to push the highlights a bit further. also, some specular light on the iris' would be fun, but i'm not saying the eyes are bad how they are. looks like an awesome study with the Michelangelo piece. keep up the good work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hehe, I always take my glasses off for SP's. Can't stand wearing them in the house, good thing I'm near-sighted. Looking good Pan.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the crits you guys. I'm running kind of late here tonight, so it's just the one sketch for now, and I'll do up some crits tomorrow afternoon.

Now that I look at it, this sketch is all sorts of whacked out, but it's all I have at the moment. I was trying to sketch a mariner. But, eh. I'll be back tomorrow.

Pan's Sketchbook

Last edited by Pan; May 16th, 2005 at 12:11 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

S B S G # 2

He may be all kinds of whacked out, but I like him

~Shane

Character of the Week :: A weekly character exploration activity.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Super-Saiyan Group

Ho-kay.

-Watch the feets, as one is smaller than the other, and even cartoony foreshortening doesn't do that. Additionally, the calf with the smaller foot is tapering much more than the other one.
    -Watch the waist crease on our left side, as usually a waistline that high indicates a female.
    -the diagonal crotch-line indicates an uneveness in the weight distrubution on the legs, yet the rest of the figure indicates none.

Last edited by SJ Bennighof; April 16th, 2005 at 02:13 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

S B S G

wow, you can do realism as well as stylized-cartoons?
    cool stuff here, the only thing i really need to say something about is the right arm (his left). it looks a little too straight and unnatural. nothing's wrong with the stylistic anatomy, i think it just looks funny. that's all from me! good night.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.