C.O.W. - #010: Sirens

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cow C.O.W. - #010: Sirens

Round #010

Topic:
    Sirens

Deadline:

- for any questions or help go here:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=37512

note: The deadline won't be EXACTLY after a week...it can last up to 24 hours more, i am human and have to work also, you know

Post your creature for this week!

Last edited by Fozzybar; April 11th, 2005 at 07:38 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sirens are known from the greek mythology, basically they are defined as creatures with an appearance resulted from a mix between woman and bird. They infatuate passing seamen with their melodies...

That means feel free to make a creature, which fulfills the description above...and don't worry about the "non-humanoid" rule that hard this time *sigh*

If you have any questions regarding the topic post them here (i am sure there will be some)...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

question

Si·ren Audio pronunciation of "sirens" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (srn)
    n.

1. Greek Mythology. One of a group of sea nymphs who by their sweet singing lured mariners to destruction on the rocks surrounding their island.
    2. siren A woman regarded as seductive and beautiful.

Isn't this the proper definition? I'm just curious. When you mentioned woman and bird I thought of a Harpie. I don't know maybe in some other country there are different interpretations. Not trying to be too nerdy here just trying to clarify.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This should clear up any confusion...

http://www.bartleby.com/65/si/Siren.html
    http://www.tiscali.co.uk/reference/e.../m0005268.html
    http://www.in2greece.com/english/his...mes/sirens.htm
    http://www.factmonster.com/ce6/ent/A0845391.html
    http://www.pantheon.org/articles/s/sirens.html

This might be relevant:

" The Sirens were also beaten by the Muses in a singing competition, and their feathers therefore symbolized the muses in art."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanx Aberrant!

Btw i want to mention, that an entry with a classic siren look would be very stupid...please be creative!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Sirens

Which, I asssume by creative, you mean go hog wild and make relaly cool sirens with a unique twist and a creative artistic slant that makes them truly your own?

Cool, I might be able to come back on this one and get to work.

-Eric

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Doesn't rule number one says in the C.O.W. bible, page 8, first paragraph, line 4 states it "not human-like please!" Well I'm just curious that's all, cause i got some ideas for my siren, which might have some human body parts, if not i'll just make a different form altogether.

"If you only heard one side of the story, then you must be deaf in the other ear." - Sok N. Wett

Sok's Sketchbook Thread Last Updated November 25

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Fozzybar
    That means feel free to make a creature, which fulfills the description above...and don't worry about the "non-humanoid" rule that hard this time *sigh*
    if Foz says it's OK, it's enough to me

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    LOL sorry Foz, my ass didn't read the whole post....dumb am I

"If you only heard one side of the story, then you must be deaf in the other ear." - Sok N. Wett

Sok's Sketchbook Thread Last Updated November 25

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sometimes I think no one ever reads the rules or anything else on this forum

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Had to do mine this lunchtime or I'd have missed my first COW, so time and inspiration limited for this. Sorry for the boring interpretation, Fozzy.

edit ( again ): Heh. Most edited post in a COW thread ever! I took this down because it was such an obvious take on the topic, but I might put her back if lots of other fishy things show up here. ( ) If you're interested, you can find her here.

Last edited by Matt Dixon; April 12th, 2005 at 06:42 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Fozzybar
    Sometimes I think no one ever reads the rules or anything else on this forum

Thanks
    Thanked 2,063 Times in 830 Posts
    Follows
    Following

woohoo i'm the first then!

The Siren
    One vicious creature that lures sailors and any kind of boat-lover into its home,mostly consisting of sharp cliffs. it does so by pumping air into it's "breast" and then emmiting strange and wonderful melodies through the "nipples". generally this is pleasant to hear,but not at all pleasant to see,as those "breast" shrink and wrinkle towards the end of the song. though when one of them is finished, the others continue the hum. after having brought their victim to crash,they fly down from their nest and starts feeding on the corpses. noone knows where these creatures came frome,but certain scientists believe it's the result of animal love gone too far(those damn duck lovers). others believe it's their dead grandmothers coming from heaven to haunt them,which has brought the creature the nickname "granny horror".

---
    ouch.my hand needs rest.hope it's not too big and the description not too long winded.i'm eagerly waiting what will follow.

Sketchbook

Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]

Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Carnifex
    it does so by pumping air into it's "breast" and then emmiting strange and wonderful melodies through the "nipples". generally this is pleasant to hear,but not at all pleasant to see,as those "breast" shrink and wrinkle towards the end of the song. though when one of them is finished, the others continue the hum. after having brought their victim to crash,they fly down from their nest and starts feeding on the corpses.
    Haha, so would those be considered any relation to bagpipes? Breastpipes perhaps?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yup,that was the idea infact.

Sketchbook

Always think about:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The Undead Flummox Siren

The species of the Undead Flummox Siren evolved from the classical Sirens of greek mythology. Like every Sirens they sing infatuating melodies to lure passing seamen...with time the danger of sirens were known amongst seamen and they protected themselves from the sirens deadly melodies by pluging wax in their ears - just like Odysseus did...now the Undead Flummox Siren tricks their victim with another phenomen...

Though their appearance is absolutely repelling as measured by human beauty standards, their wings are magical. Everything behind the wings appear in a mostly beautiful way, so the victims see a banging sexy female body. The Undead Flummox Siren is flying next to the passing ships, just a few meters away from the numbed seamen - always with her back turned to the ship...This visual impression paired with the infatuating melodies are mystifying the seamen for a certain period - time enough to turn around quickly and grab one or two of this poor wayfarers and fly away to the nest, where other sirens are waiting for the feast...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    haha,this weeks c.o.w. is all about boobs and asses
    edit:foz,i think she'd need more tail to navigate.

Last edited by Carnifex; April 13th, 2005 at 02:36 PM.
    Sketchbook

Always think about:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    <greek riddle:From across the sea they come, to listen her lovely song...>
    This type of siren can take over a ship in no time.
    Once she is on board she will enchant all hens on deck with her wonderful sounds. When she's got everybody under her influence she starts breaking some necks by sweeping her strong tentacles around. Then she can easely pick out the sweetest piece of man to nibble on.

Last edited by Uziel; April 17th, 2005 at 06:10 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jannete "pirate eater " McUmphry

Like most Sirens, Jannete loves the taste of raw pirate flesh. Unfortunately for Jan its just harder and harder to find quality pirate meat these days. Her nonfunctioning gimped wings dont really help her get around either. She basically just sits on her rock all day and sings some of her favorite Billy RaY Sirus tunes. Now everybody knows pirates cant resist them sweet Billy Ray melodies. Once them swashbucklers get ear of the music they come sailing on over. "Oh whats this, a crazy bird lady with a nice set a tits." I think Ill go ivestigate. Arrrrrrrrr them be rocks ahead. Craasssssshhhhhh. Pirate chowder.

{edit: I added the foot and tweaked the lighting. Thanks for the feedback}

Last edited by Stokes; April 17th, 2005 at 09:13 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice one, Stokie! Great job on water, skin, texture...lookin good.

Quote Originally Posted by Dougbot

Dougbot, "Are you calling me fat? Really? How come?"
    xiataptara.com
    How to draw and paint *WARNING: You have been warned!*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OK. I'm going to throw this into the mix even though it's a pretty unoriginal concept.

Chromaticiae Mariahcareyum. Also known as the 'Pale Mariah', this mythical beast is famed for her ravenous appetite for seamen. Clearly, her appearance makes it difficult to attract all but the most drunken mariners into striking distance, so she lures them close with spellbinding renditions of pop tunes and hypnotic jiggling of her silvery-fleshed mammary glands that glitter in the moonlight like two C cup lighthouses.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    shit i'm so fucked now.
    small crit:everything is lit by the evening sun,except the creature.she does seem to have an independent spotlightsource.
    (stokes')

Sketchbook

Always think about:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    She is also missing a foot/claws...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My entry:

The rare Giant six eyed rocklemming, a k a Furry siren, Sailors fear or Wetass, use potent pheromones and multifrequency vails to numb the minds of seamen. Stupefied they get drawn in and loose their lives in the wide maw of the rocklemming.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    its one thing ruling out looser works, its another to refer to them as " sloppy sketches done in 5 minutes" even before it was updated it was over an hours work.

Asshat

Last edited by Kaoki; April 16th, 2005 at 11:17 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Sirenow

For centuries Sirenows have been looked over in legends and folklore. Simply because no one knows much about them. Their full-size cousins from Greek mythology have taken a lot of the heat for crashing ships and seducing mariners. These hummingbird-sized music boxes are ten times more enchanting and more dangerous when grouped in choirs. Not only will they enchant you and cause you to wreck your ship, but will fly aboard and take your food, jewelry, and any other shiny valuables completely undetected. This leaves many seamen stumped and wondering what happened when they come out of their hypnotic sleep. No one has actually seen one so it's hard to place blame on something that looks like an ordinary bird from a short distance. But the experience afterwards is not one to compare to the beauty of it's song. It's also not clear if both the Sirenows and their cousins worked together to amass their fortune hidden throughout the island. There have also been stories telling of seamen who traveled for days with nothing on their ship just to hear the captivating melodies that give them such wondrous dreams. Unfortunately, those men are never heard from again.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kaoki

Please work on your entry, as it is a very quick sketch as it seems...it won't make it to the poll at this stage...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mastigoteuthis Vocalis, Song Squid or Siren. Believed to be part of the cephalopod family, ability to mimic form of its prey: mainly sea birds, fish, crustaceans and occasionally the unwary fisherman. This lure is compounded by hypnotic low level sounds that act upon the preys’ lower brain resulting in trance-like 'euphoric' state.

Paris, 1894. Bonaparte Bon-Bon Baptiste, proprietor at the Red Cat seafood bistro was having a good summer. His clientele were braving his poorly prepared, overpriced dishes for one reason only: The Green lady.

Sitting in her tank of water normally reserved for fresh lobster this mysterious creature floated elegantly and beguiled the whole of Montmartre with her melancholic song.

But on a fateful night, one particular customer could withhold his ardour no longer: he approached the Lady's tank, her green glow reflecting in his glossy, mesmerized eyes. The lady, more accustomed to customer leftovers seized her chance and the hapless punter. In a flurry of tentacles and stagnant water she revealed her true self, and snip-snap, the customer lost his head.

This was The Green Lady's last performance. What happened to the creature we can not say, but on an interesting side note, The Red Cat had an abundance of calamari on the menu in the following week.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.