C.O.W. - #009: Cute But Deadly - VOTING!!! - Page 2

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Vote for your fav! Regarding the topic!

Voters
120. You may not vote on this poll
  • rick_hershey

0 0%
  • LegacyPunk

1 0.83%
  • vaughany_boy

0 0%
  • Prometheus

3 2.50%
  • Bennett

0 0%
  • Prehistoric

0 0%
  • Uziel

0 0%
  • Helzon

0 0%
  • MIKECORRIERO

0 0%
  • charge

2 1.67%
  • salaryman

5 4.17%
  • Matt Dixon

7 5.83%
  • leckronium

1 0.83%
  • Bretton

3 2.50%
  • Stokes

2 1.67%
  • Fozzybar

7 5.83%
  • strych9ine

0 0%
  • GomenNasai

3 2.50%
  • JeffZNY

1 0.83%
  • Xpose

0 0%
  • BlkCelebration

0 0%
  • Sinix

4 3.33%
  • Shamagim

0 0%
  • JoBeSu

1 0.83%
  • 0kelvin

0 0%
  • redehlert

3 2.50%
  • Negrotuerto

52 43.33%
  • young_paddy1

0 0%
  • Gloklund

0 0%
  • Sapphire

0 0%
  • lukavi

0 0%
  • al-x

1 0.83%
  • Craig Houghton

0 0%
  • xia

20 16.67%
  • Aberrant

1 0.83%
  • dogfood

3 2.50%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Thanks
    redehlert: Returning the favor, bud! I love your creature, and it was in fact one of my favorite concepts. The pattern reminds me of a moth with the soft-focus false eyespots, and the rendering of them makes me want to pet the thing, until I see what's below. The only thing conceptually that put me off is that a lot of people seemed to go for the gas thing, which sort of hearkens back to the venemous creature COW. The details are great, but there seems to be a fairly similar level of saturation and value across the creature, except for the mouth and the eyes. As far as the physical shape, I like how I can see a lot of your inspirations... it looks like a mixture between a catterpillar and a lamprey (that mouth!) or leech. I'm not sure how it would move, though... the legs look like they're in a horizontal line, while the end we're seeing (back end, I assume, since it's the gassy end) hasn't got any leglike structures. Even catterpillars tend to have little leglets on their back end, so they can grip. It's just an observation though, and would probably be easily solved if you showed me a little thumbnail animation sketch of it walking or crawling.

0kelvin: Oh wow... I am almost disgusted at the level of watery cuteness. In that regard it definitely does the job, and I think "Winky" or "Dobby" from Harry Potter when I see it.

Couple of technical things. I can see you did this in a cartoonish style, especially the eyes and the distortion of the body size, so obviously you could take some liberties with that, but I don't at all get the feeling that the dog has fur. It looks almost like it's made of clay, with a uniform, digital texture and a single tone of yellow across the whole body. If you added some different tones and made at least some indication of fur (unless it's like those Chinese Crested dogs that don't have much) that would help your piece a lot. Also, the tears don't really give the sense that they're falling (and they seem very opaque, also lending to the claylike quality of the piece)... if they diminished in size and came close to the level of body or feet, that would increase the sense of depth. I think because of their opacity it makes them look like they're not even falling out of the eyeball itself, but are just sitting on the dog's cheek... some gloss or shine could fix that really fast. The hands could be developed more too, if you felt like it.
    I like the way your tried a new perspective, and how you can see the reflection in the floor!

I'm going to try and comment on some more of these pieces each time I visit this thread and will add on to the list slowly.

rick_hershey: Since you were the first to submit one of the lure-approach-death creatures this time around, I won't bug you for that, but concept should be just as, important as the actual drawing itself, so always try to push your imagination to new limits.
    I'm a sucker for cool water creatures, and I like some of the ideas you have with the head shape. The style of this drawing seems a bit inconsistent, though. I see you tried to simulate the effects of water on the creature and beneath the sea, but the rendering still feels flat because of the dark lines, and lack of atmospheric perspective. If you softened some of those tones and added more blue-greens and grays between us and the monster, it would help with that. Also, the highlights on the tentacles don't seem to make sense, especially since there aren't highlights anywhere else. Try to work on figuring out the lightsource (working on this problem, myself), and use photo references for objects underwater.

Last edited by Sapphire; April 13th, 2005 at 05:09 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    redehlert- thanks for the comments, man. i wasn't sure if anyone got my reference to "the wheedle on the needle", but i guess that's just for my peeps who grew up in seattle. dynamic poses are definitely on my list of things to improve.

and now, in the spirit of "you get what you give", here are some more crits.

Salaryman - i really dig this. out of all of them, i think this is the most believable as an actual creature. the rendering is great. i would love to have one of these little buggers as a pet. the human-like hands are definitely creepy, but like a lot of other entries here, i only really see the "deadly" aspect in the description.

Dixon - i think this is sub-par for you. the three elements of the critter don't seem to have anything to do with each other. it looks more genetically manufactured, an experimental by-product, kind of thrown together.

Mike Corriero - i think i liked your first try better. this one doesn't really seem all that cute to me. and i really don't get the lightbulb on the head. good rendering, and great painterly textures. the face reminds me too much of the navigators from the David Lynch "Dune" movie.

Xia - good rendering. i like the colors. it's cute, but too much like that disney character (as mentioned by others already, i know).

Al-x - i love the facial expression. totally looks like the thing just let one go, and is slightly embarassed, but more pleased with itself. makes me laugh. i think more attention could be paid to the hands and feet though.

Fozzybar - this is awesome. definitely a cute little bugger. i really like the mutated, half-retarded, inbred look to this guy. i think he could use a bit of drool.

Xpose - gotta say it. sorry, but i think this is pretty weak. a pink pony with a bloody mouth? i just don't get it. to me it's neither cute nor deadly. we're supposed to be creating something that doesn't exist. if i saw one of these i would think someone had just spray painted a pony and punched it in the mouth. sounds like a bad fraternity prank. more effort next time.

Prometheus - funny as hell! makes me laugh like none other. but without a description, it just feels kind of half-assed. don't rest on your laurels. give me a knock-out punch.

Sinix - very cool creature. i think the handprints look more like bloody handprints on the outside though. i'd like to see them stretch the balloon more, so they look like they're coming from something trapped on the inside.

Redehlert - this thing's cool. i'd like to see the underside glisten more, and maybe leave some sort of slime trail. i'd also like to see more of the creature. maybe if you had a side shot too, we could see some of the things you describe in the concept (i.e. - the noisemaking tail).

thanks everyone for participating. sorry i couldn't get to you all. please feel free to drop more crits on me. i really need it.

Hey dog. . . . did you see the size of that chicken?!

Thanks
    These are the crits for the Seattle people....representing. These crits are some of my own opinion so please don't take them too personal, take it with a grain of salt.

Prehistoric - They are diffenately cute, The story is pretty cool too, only thing that bothers me is the deadly part, they are more like wookies with spears, if you added maybe like a side effects that they have, maybe poisonous gas, or when they mate they create that type of gas...i dunno, but overall it's good to see some pencil rendering in the contest, I mean you can have so much finished digital paints, but i appreciate that you went for the pencil, cause you know that's my favorite medium.

Stokes - I have to agree on Redehlert about this one, he does looks like he belongs in the MIB movies, maybe if you made her a lil girl with that crazy blob creature inside her, and if anyone pick her up, her body would expose her creepy side and showing her maybe devouring the human would showecase how deadly she is. Or maybe a shell of a dog, something like that, since we are trying to stay away from the human like aspect. Overal i like the idea, and your coloring is always on my list of favorites.

Xia - I'm always glad to see your stuff mang, It's cute, and deadly, bad part is the concept is too much like Kekai's concept from the last COW, that's the only thing that troubles me, but I like it regardless.

Redehlert - That thing is too ugly for me to approach...lol, Cool idea, and great coloring, the eyes look like they are more painted on to the hair, so it's like he really has no eyes, just like a butterfly design on his head.

Sapphire - The picture is great, but the story makes it seem like it was more tamed, and their back story pretty much describes a deer. It's only deadly when the driver tries to avoid the hit, but what about the drivers that don't avoid it. It can be deadly in maybe if they gathered like wild animals and start attacking random people on the streets maybe, just like rabid dogs. I hope you will enter in the next COW, or every other one, cause it's great fun.

and now for Random crits to some.

Okelvin - Cute none the less, he's more like the Taco Bell mascot, and looks like a cartoon dog. Good way to come up with creatures is to kinda mix and match some peices of the bear and fox, and show that he has those furs combine, or maye kinda give him a grizzly face with a fox body, something like that you know, but keep it up, hope your getting into the COW 10.

leckronium - Great coloring and great lightning effect, love the fur texture, but it looks just like a dog with many tails. It was the first thing I notice about the design. The story is quite nice and well explained, but the picture lacks that creativity it needs to feed off of.

Bretton - I'm not sure how much time you had to work on this, but it would have been great if you could have colored it, but it still lacks design value, in that it still looks like a whale, maybe if you added some elements to it, like some spots, or stripes or something to give it some personality it would have gave it more of a zing.

Xpose - A pink horse....cute, would be great if you added some stuff to the horse, a third eye, maybe horns, something that would make him stick out a bit, rather than it being identified as a horse, try to make the creature design your own rather, give it something visually on the outside some personality.

My vote goes to Negrotuerto, I love the cute little creature, it's something I would approach and it would have been my own fault that I did. It's believable and great coloring and original in his designs, even the unfinished texture on the rock looks great. A+++++

2nd would have gone to salaryman, sad part is that the creature had to be cute up to be considered deadly, but great idea on the design

"If you only heard one side of the story, then you must be deaf in the other ear." - Sok N. Wett

Sok's Sketchbook Thread Last Updated November 25

Thanks
    Thanks, Sok! Seattle folks stickin' together!

Your comments are really appreciated. As far as the tame factor, that was my approach to "cute but deadly"... I didn't want to divide cute and deadly, but have it be because of their cuteness that the deadly factor comes in, and nothing more.

Thanks
    I voted for redehlert, I gave him a jab a couple rounds back about his work and damned if he didn't knock me out this time around. Great job!

Thanks
    Hey Gloklund - thanks! For real, that rocks hoss.

All crits for me - you're all bang on! I'll see if I can find time to do an edit of this creature and will post it in my sketch red sketch thread in the future.

FYI - COW 10 - I'm gonna do it all traditional - no digi for me this go around. Kickin' it old school. Who's down widdat?

Peace and chicken grease!
    D

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "I" in pie. And there's an "i" in meat pie. Meat is the anagram of team...~Shaun "Shaun of the Dead"
    http://www.cognitionstudio.com

Thanks
    I voted for Matt Dixon because the topic being cute but deadly i voted towards the one i found both really cute and well done.

Thank you very much to all the people who take the time to give everyone comments and crits. I wish I knew enough about art to do this and i really appreciate it. This is really the only place on ca where i can consistantly get crits. I realize I am pretty uncreative a lot of times, I will try to work on it. I love you conceptart.org, I love you. Because my art teacher doesn't give me crits, my mom doesn't, my girlfriend doesn't, my friends don't, but the members of ca.org do. I am very thankful.

Thanks
    Thanks for all the crits in return! They're all pretty much accurate (some I was aware of, some I wasn't). I wasn't planning on him looking quite so much like a dog, but everytime I changed something to make him cuter, he got more dog-like.

redehlert: Sorry for the confusion, when I said "them" and "those" I was referring to these types of pictures, where it was well done enough that there were no obvious crits to give, but it wasn't quite as interesting as some of the others. They're the hardest to comment on. As for what the attention grabber could be, well, just something unique that makes people sit up and say, "Holy COW!"

0kelvin

www.WhereIsMyEyeball.com My portfolio! Go check it out!
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    i voted for GomenNasai, cute critter that is truly deadly in and unto itself. concept just works for me.

Thanks
    I voted for Xia, I'm digging the cute side of the creature (dog lover here)....the deadly side looks insane. I thought the way you showed how he morphed into its deadly form was a nice touch.

Thanks to those that took the time to comment on mine.

Thanks
    OKelvin - thanks hoss - I appreciate the clarification and will definitely keep that in my hat for the future COWs.

Peace!
    D

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "I" in pie. And there's an "i" in meat pie. Meat is the anagram of team...~Shaun "Shaun of the Dead"
    http://www.cognitionstudio.com

Thanks
    Negrotuerto - Design is very original. I appreciate the before/after rather than a text-based explanation. Thankyou for showing, rather than writing out what it is supposed to be. A very entertaining picture.

[insert clever thing]

-Halis

Thanks

Negrotuerto

Muy bueno eso!!!

Ya somos varios los paisanos en este foro!

(Joan si estas leyendo publicaaa!!!)

Saludos desde capital, muy zarpado el post!

Thanks
    Great job everyone!

It was tough to decided 'cuz everyone's entry just got better and better.
    It was a tide between Jobesu and Negrotuerto...in my head.

My vote went to Negrotuerto (the mysterious man)
    Kick@$$ work man! Woot.

BTW: You should show us your WIP (Step by Step), I'd love to know your process. It will be a great education for me and everyone.

Last edited by xia; April 18th, 2005 at 01:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougbot

Dougbot, "Are you calling me fat? Really? How come?"
    xiataptara.com
    How to draw and paint *WARNING: You have been warned!*

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 2