Thanks

Aircraft Industry

Hello, I am currently doing an Aircraft Structural Repair course, and one of my instructors pulled a trick on me and was sending me all over the building and through the hangar asking people for some prop wash..at the time I didn't know the actual definition of prop wash, but I am on the search now for actual Prop wash or prop cleaner of some sort just to say I found it for a laugh really. I would like to know if there is such thing as a prop cleaner or solvent. If anybody has any knowledge of this please post a reply, I have been looking but I came up empty...I really hope there is some prop wash out there lol. ttyl
    Last edited by Snowball; April 15th, 2005 at 02:58 PM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    sounds like someone's pulling your "prop-chain".
    Hey dog. . . . did you see the size of that chicken?!

Thanks
    I may not have been clear enough, but I do realize that at the time there was no prop wash and I do realize now what he actually mean by "prop-wash" but I am just interested to know if there is an actual prop wash mean for cleaning props, if so I would love to get my hands on it just to show my instructor and give him some real prop wash. lol

Thanks
    I'll need to send you off to find a left-handed smoke shifter. Chances are the prop wash will be next to it on the shelf.

BTW, if you have any graphic design skills, you should be able to design a pretty convincing prop wash product label, print it out on your color inkjet and slap it onto a bottle of some kind of industrial cleaning fluid.
    Mark Hannon
    Art Direction & Design
    Online Portfolio

Thanks
    Before he asks you to go get some, there's no such thing as Flight Line. Welcome to the aviation community, let the hazing begin
    -Mike V

Thanks
    Dont forget to bring get the keys to the fighter jet, or some electric powder

Thanks
    One of my favorites is still the Straight of Gibraltor Monkey Watch, with all of the guys walking around the deck with helmets and broom sticks. Man, if you let one of those Gibrator Monkeys on the ship, it'll throw feces everywhere!

The mail bouy watch, ship-board flight simulator, oh the memories...

Thanks
    hazing eh, just curious, is there anybody here involved with the Aircraft Industry in this ar community? Currently in school now, so g2g before the instructor gets here, be home Friday woo tt ya'll later lol.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowball
    is there anybody here involved with the Aircraft Industry
    What would you like to know?

Thanks
    I build 'em if that counts?

Thanks

Thanks
    well thats what I meant, like I am doing a course Aircraft Structural Repair, and hopeing to find work once I am done June 15th. Any other structural people here or maintenance?

Thanks
    I'm an AE (aviation electricians mate) in the Navy. I'm not the guy to go to for info on the civilian end however, I can tell you what it's like being an active duty (Intermediate) level maintainer. I guess you could do the same thing in the civilian world and actually get paid good money for it, but if you want a guaranteed job for 4 years and a chance to see the world I'd suggest enlisting. Or you can go to Boeing's job search site and see what they have to offer. Most of thier positions require degrees or equivalent experience. Good luck.
    -MV

Thanks
    Three years maintaining F-16's.
    Fuel, hydrolics, A/C, landing gear, engine installation/removal, and a bit more i/r

Unlikely I'll ever do that again

Thanks
    cool cool, ya I have been thinking of the Army, but thats only an option yet, our school has also been offered a few opportunities, so I'll have to see what comes of those first. Currently in school we are doing a course on Acrylic windows, windsheilds, temporary repairs, window removal and installation. Pretty interesting, the temp repairs have to be done following the AC-43 13-1B. Sound familiar. Would like to know the major differences in Military and Civillian Aircraft industry concerning repairs and manuels and guidelines that you follow.

Edited Title of thread because I figured it was no longer about "Prop wash", and I may continue to post my schooling updates or any questions I may have about the aircraft industry in general..cool
    Last edited by Snowball; April 15th, 2005 at 02:59 PM.

Thanks
    Since I've worked on both military and commercial aircraft, I'd say the main difference is usually time and airworthyness. The commecial aircraft would usually have to have a full engineering and customer assessed and covered repair, these take ages and are a pain in the arse whereas depending upon situation a military aircraft could have a quick fix just to get it back in the air.

Anybody any idea of something good to get Thiokol off with, best thing I've found so far is a rotary scraper, but it loves taking chunks out of fingers too.

Thanks
    ok sounds cool, ya we also went over slightly the whole scenerio of having to aquire a repair scheme by way of a DAR or DARO, and having to do up a Sketch of the Damage...thats one thing that kept confusing me and is still hazy, when they say "Sketch" of Damage do they actually mean pick up the pencil and draw what you see or is the word sketch referring to the measuring of and locating of the damage on the aircraft?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamsta
    Three years maintaining F-16's.
    Fuel, hydrolics, A/C, landing gear, engine installation/removal, and a bit more i/r

Unlikely I'll ever do that again
    really? what block were you working on?

Thanks
    A/B's
    don't remember block numbers, but these were some old fellows, some were USAF refugees

Thanks
    Im not in the aviation industry :/ Ive just been interested in aircraft since I was a kid and...since some of you guys are/have worked in the aircraft industry I was wondering if you would have any interesting reference images? And if its not too rude of me, would any of you please mind sharing some of them with me?

red

Thanks
    I've never worked on prop aircraft, heavy jet aircraft only. Last I knew we used alkaline solvents to clean the aircraft down, mainly the bottom. This isn't hazing, aircraft maintenance is boring as all hell, they're just having fun, get used to it. If they ask you for all sorts of stupid stuff, so stay frosty.

Thanks
    ha, righton, thanks for the heads up. Well I'm heading back to the school after dinner today, maybe next Friday I'll have some questions or updates on what we're at out there. so whoevers interested can post. Hope I'm not boring you all lol. ttyl