IDM - #001: Think Tank
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: IDM - #001: Think Tank

davi is offline Administrator & Community Manager. Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,195 Times in 254 Posts
    Follows
    Following

IDM - #001: Think Tank

Project #001

Topic:
    Our first topic will be to design a "Think Tank", a common term for modern research organizations.
    But that's neither here or there. Our Think Tank is going to be a weapon of the future, and here our your Guide lines:
    • The tank must use tracks for movement
    • The tank harnesses(uses) brain power as it's main source of "ammo".
    • The tank must have a brain somewhere to draw power from.

Deadline:
    April 29th.

- for any questions or help go here:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=37512

Note: The winner of this project will be put in the IWD Intro for the coming projects.

Post your Designs for this month, and have fun!

Last edited by davi; April 8th, 2005 at 09:05 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i am curious as to the size of the tank, like a 2 or 3 man crew tank, such as the abrams, or can it be half a town colossal? size doesnt matter until your at the other end of the barrel.

No. No. Uh uh. No way. Ain't happening.

alright, gimme a sec.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very cool, I need all the practice I can get in the ID arena. Great idea...

davi is offline Administrator & Community Manager. Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,195 Times in 254 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    the size is up to you, if you think a good design would work if it was colossal, so be it. If you think it needs to be toy-sized, so be it. If the size of your design is realitive to the context of the design, be sure to show scale..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Where is SAMMY! he already gets my vote before having to see what he would produce

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yea, I'm quite happy this was started up so fast... instant results! Look forward to seeing your work undertow, you're strong with ID. Hope alot of people hop aboard.

Good luck everyone.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is a crazy topic to start on as my first "Community Activity"... Oh well, might as well give it a whirl. Have fun, all.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Let's Do This!

There are 3 sides to every story. Yours, mine and THE TRUTH.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oooo. . . .this is gonna be fun!

Hey dog. . . . did you see the size of that chicken?!

Fozzybar is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, ok, before another hundred people post their enthusiasm about this thread do it here:

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=41946

This thread here is actually the 1st round of the activity, that means you should post your THINK TANK entries over here...you can comment on the works anyway, but don't overcrowd the thread with "i'm so in!", "This is cool" or "Let's do it" posts...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    www.garagegames.com..... think tanks is a game already that has been made unforunatly...... they are tanks that you play as called think tanks...

other then that i love this idea nad i will be participating in it weekly!!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i dont know, but i hope some of us make some art better than the images of the "think tanks" in that game- besides, its a design competition, not a game idea, at least to my knowledge

No. No. Uh uh. No way. Ain't happening.

alright, gimme a sec.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    looking good, but i have some thoughts:

- the gun/barrel seems to be heavy stuff and is completely in front, so your tank is gunna tilt over
    - give the front of the barrel some colour instead of just black
    - your perspective seems off on some places:
    ° the track closest to screen looks like it's going more towards the screen then the rest of the tank
    ° the hole above the base of the barrel (air-supply?). the metal plate furthest away from screen is thicker then the part closest to screen
    - also remember that this entry has to fit (approximately) in that box that says "your artwork here" from the first post yours is quite long (it's about twice as long as preferred size)

PS: i think this thread is for entries only, you have to post your WIP's in the other thread. the link is a couple posts up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    From my understanding, it's cool to post WIPs, but to do so, you should just update the image in your initial post. The mods don't want you posting more than one image in this thread, and whichever is the latest version that you post when the thread closes will be the image that the mods take over for judging.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The Riga2 tank (made in Russia)
    Amplifying brainwaves provided by a human operator and some help of a Genu3 artificial brain this tank can fire a powerful beam of energy.
    Crewmembers: driver, communication/navigation nerd , singing gun operator, Genu3 A.B.
    Size: 14m long, 8m wide, 3.5m high.
    Range: vs heavy armour - 2.5km | vs light armour - 3.8km

Can't get the contrast,brightnes right. It totaly depends on which PC screen I use.

Last edited by Uziel; April 29th, 2005 at 05:25 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys, I uploaded a 'vanishing point' that I made often used to create my digital perspective grids --- just use it as an independent layer, transform it, and duplicate it as desired to create different vanishing points for a grid: vanishing point

Quote Originally Posted by teyekanik
    It's cool to post wips from what I understand of the rules....

This is a sketch and color I did today. I was hoping for some suggestions or crits. All the bubble looking things in the chassis are the heads of pilots that are wired to the tank. I plan on fleshing out the helmets and the detail of the gun and treads. Are we expected to put the tank into a setting or more of a worksheet? Ne way, lemme know, laters!
    nice and solid teyekanik --- your tank has a great sillouhette, and the colors are working.
    I'd keep the front transitioning into black like that -- it looks great, and you can use some simple, low contrast highlights later to brink out some details.

I'd do away with the dangly cords since they don't seem to functional, and part of the appeal of your design is how compact it is with no excess 'hanging off' --- your perspective is off in just a few areas, but nothing drastic -- plug in a grid with that file I put up, and it'll make things easy.

---- an amazing reference for vehicles like this are utitilarian construction vehicles, go check some out and apply the details as needed ---- treads can be hard, but find some good reference and clip it over your design -- go ahead and trace the ref to get a better idea of how you can make your linework reflect the detailing more realistically.

my website
    -- playing: "Pikmin 3" and "World of Tanks"
    -- reading: "Death of the Liberal Class" -Chris Hedges

O my soul, do not aspire to immortal life, but exhaust the limits of the possible. - Pindar

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ah, thanks alot sammy.. It's funny, I am working on this the exact moment I went and read your post.

Yeah, I found some good reference of treads on google. And I agree about the cables dangling. The perspective will be fixed up on the next draw.. for this sketch I didnt even lay it out with VPs and horizon lines, etc.

Thanks for the vanishing point file too. Sammy Kicks ASS!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello, here's my try, really just for fun anyways

The brain shoots acid bits of hitself until it's empty and..well that's it and I guess someone would have to run behind the tank with kegs of fresh brain

Last edited by Otzi; April 29th, 2005 at 01:00 PM. Reason: change of pic url

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    otzy you probably got my vote man... that just cracks me up.. it's briliant, briliant!!!!! can i run behind it and pour my brain in... please I got loads of it... briliant! i am laughing by myself... this is great!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    TC-5 Synapse Assualt Vehicle

In 2034, the military finds a use for the brains of unusable human clones. Splicing the brains in half, they package them as a power source. When offset and wired into alternating power sources, the brain halves attempt to communicate with each other. Those electronic transmissions are tapped and amplified to produce mobile power and attack power. The disposable brain power cells are placed at the rear of the tank. When charged for a shot, the barrel draws and stores power, then explodes forth a devastating energy beam. (It blows stuff up with brain lasers.)

Last edited by jmascho; April 23rd, 2005 at 03:06 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jmascho great concept, I love the gun. But it feels like will flip backwards if it has to go uphill. The gun is too big for the tank.

Last edited by Uziel; April 26th, 2005 at 01:52 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi everyone,
    just a tank...I guess not a walking building
    The engine to fire is in the back and send the power to the front gun.

Last edited by winwinja; April 26th, 2005 at 05:28 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

This prototype self-governing traction engine features the latest Stalwart automatic canon and the amazing mutated brain power plant from Rekkenwyth Laboratories. This model was designed specifically for the Earl Of Denmark.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Tt-001

In the not-so-distant-future, mankind will be stripped of their freedom and forced to serve robots. Useful persons will keep their positions in a restricted society but those who do not contribute to the advance of technology will forfeit their lives and become what they once used or created. This new generation of technology was created by computers programmed to think on their own. The brains of humans are taken and placed in specifically designed mobile carriers called "Think Tanks" such as the TT 001 prototype shown here. This particular model runs on the brain power of unemployed artists and is equipped with an infra red sensor in the front, and a set of image sensors topped by a pencil cannon that shoots useless used and unused pencils once used by the human race.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

:: think tank - CETA ::

The “CETA” (cetacean = relating to dolphins and whales) gound/air tank unit
    makes use of Bottlenose dolphins’ brains having the highest encephalization quotient among non human brains along with an overly high convolution rate enabling it to unleash incredible brain power transformed into plasmatic beams. Making it a bio-mechanical organism this tank is eventually able to operate uncrewed leaving yet the possibility to be controlled by two operators if needed.
    The attached air unit can turn into an independent combat fighter propelled by 3 thrusters and equipped with a second weapon – a minigun mounted to the front.
    Additional features include sonar communication among several CETA tanks and thus developing hunting tactics similar to those wild dolphins demonstrate.
    Needless to say that the CETA Tank is also equipped with an impeccable echolocation system for advanced navigational capability.
    Another positive sideeffect results from the fact, that dolphin's brains are active permanently with only one brain half resting at a time.

--------------

too bad, I took notice of this IDM thread so late...didn't have enough time to flesh this out... :-P

(-)|dE

Last edited by Hideyoshi; April 28th, 2005 at 05:58 AM.
    --(-)|dE--

portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

-- win the battle win the war --

The future of war is fought in the office 9 – 5 every day of the week --- ammunition of choice: the handshake

The Apple thinkTANK is the fully-realized evolution of past PDA devices. Capable of any function necessary to help succeed in a harsh business climate --- including the *perfect* handshake…

Apple’s unique nano-scanline earbud design is capable of mapping out your mental motor-skills and optimizing the best handshake you’ve ever given --- the most intemidating handshake you've ever given...

Last edited by Sammy; April 28th, 2005 at 12:43 AM.

my website

O my soul, do not aspire to immortal life, but exhaust the limits of the possible. - Pindar

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good to get some Industrial Design work done
    we gotta keep this up every damn month --- speaking of, it was great for us to have a month to really think these ideas out and submit a nice sketch. I really enjoyed being able to spend some time to think about stuff, and throw in some size reference people (though they were heavily referenced from photo, obviously) ---- Next months gotta be a doozy! We gotta think up somethin' crazy!

Hideyoshi - Awesome layout and show of functionality
    BlindMan - HAHA, great idea and rendering!

some thumbnails I did over the weeks:

Last edited by Sammy; April 28th, 2005 at 12:47 AM.

my website

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good Gracious! Sammy!

Quote Originally Posted by Dougbot

Dougbot, "Are you calling me fat? Really? How come?"
    xiataptara.com
    How to draw and paint *WARNING: You have been warned!*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    definately one of the more well thought out designs sammy, very nice..nice to see something without a human brain attached to it somehwere lol

I like the walk cycle down the staircase..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sammy is my personal jesus christ of the month right now.

lol... I was actually considering participating for awhile... funny.
    great work all you guys.. *goes back to the shadows*

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3