Ccad

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Ccad

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Ccad

Was looking through here and didnt see any ccad thread so...
    Welcome to the Collumbus College of Art and Design thread
    post any information on ccad.
    -cost
    -requirments
    -pro's
    -con's
    anything.

personally ive heard that their illustration program is top notch, one of the best. Also it falls more in the choices I may have for colleges i wish to go to.
    so if anyone knows anything about ccad please dont hesitate to post

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    haha crazy, i though this was the one near my house, that being the Cleveland College of Art and Design which is in the UK, 1 of only 4 art colleges actually, and im applying to go do a 1 year foundation course there later this year... anyway, good look with your studies

'Are we afraid of failure, or other peoples success?"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeh, im not talking about clevland lol. Thanks anyhow, and good luck too you. Aparently either no ones ever heard of ccad or theres too many shy blokes out there 8)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I applied to four colleges, so far CCAD has given me over $50k in scholarships/grants, and it's startin' to look like I'll probably end up there, unless my other schools come through with more money. I don't really know that much about it, (It was sort of my safety, I haven't even been there or anything).

I applied because they have an industrial design program, which only a handful of schools really offer, and I've heard some good things about it on here and on the core77 boards, and yea, I have heard good things about their illus. prog. so, yeah. I do know it's a hell of a lot less expensive than most ($18k versus what seems to be about the average for most private art schools, around $25k and up) and so far they've been really friendly and helpful.

So, who knows.

Anyone here been there, have anything to say? Come on, I know someone has.

Last edited by Moccomouse; April 8th, 2005 at 01:55 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    mkay.. i go there now so

cost 18K but thats without oncampus housing so bump that up to 25. coming in as a freshman you will initially spend about a grand in your first week just on supplies and books, and yes, supplies will run out.

pros - personally i like the fact that theclasses arent super huge and the teachers are easy to talk to. not that many liberal arts classes. as far as the illustration dept goes, a few of the teachers are still wroking in the fieldso the know the trends, they still have connections. one is in spectrum. te head of the dept is C.F. Payne if ya dont know, google his name.

cons- no studio space, the teachers dont crit hard enough unless you catch them outside of class, or after most people have left. a good amount of the students are just copy artist, or just plain suck. the freshman dorm rooms are small as hell, dont bring a lot of stuff.

time management is key, or your freshman year you will not see more than 4 hours of sleep at a time, and you will slice yourself with an exacto knife because of sleep deprivation. bloody projects get a lowered grade.

if you want to do concept art some classes will annoy the hell out of you. some will be grea because they let you explore your creativity. this is my first year here, i'm a transfer so i bypassed a few foundation classes. but foundation classes will kick your ass. atleast that what it looks like.

anymore questions feel free to ask.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the reply Majesty. A lot of what you said sounds like what I hear about a lot of colleges (it's sucky to live in a dorm, sleep is hard to come by, etc.). As far as total amounts, yeah, I know it's about $25k, but versus a school who's tuition is already $25k or $30k, plus housing + food etc comes to alot, and there still seems to be a big difference versus what a lot of other schools are like (total wise).

So what are you majoring in? Any advice about what classes/teachers to take, or which to avoid like the plague? What's the city like? What are the facilities like? Where did you transfer from, and why did you decide to apply to this school?

It's startin' to get to the time where I'm gonna have to make a decision, and I'm freakin' out a teensy bit since I know a lot less about CCAD than the other two I got into (CCA and SCAD). But money wise, at least, Columbus is starting to look really good (The scholarships I got from the other two are so-so) but I'm still freaking out. So any advice is humungously appreciated.

Last edited by Moccomouse; April 8th, 2005 at 03:49 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    *cracks knuckles*

i'm a illus major, who really wants to get into conceept design. as far as teachers your first year everyone from what i've heard for the most part is cool EXCEPT about 2-3 teachers. if ya wind up comin here, i'll PM you names lol.

personally i like the city a lot, the weather is better here than where i'm originally from (cleveland) and if you have some time to do something (you rarely will) there's lots to do, is a college city, Ohio State Uni is up the street they always have parties. shit people that go here party on the weekends a good amount.

they are in the process of tryin to get more funding for certain majors, ID just got a some money, and the illus dept is workin on doin some renovating of their building. the fineart building is hella old, so it gets sweaty when it gets warm. they just built a new student center, which will be used by ID and maybe illustration. the dorms are ok, at least there is constant warm water and the freshman dorms have hi speed internet. the computer labs are being upgraded with g5 macs. i wish they had 6x8 wacoms but they all have 4x5 graphires.

i transfered from cleveland state university, i'm old and i was a graphic design major there. i pretty much came here based on student work, talking to people who graduated from here, cost, and the school has a pretty good rep. here it seems like you have to find you niche and as with everywhere else find motivation to not be cliche and to do work outside of class work. like the illus dept is geared more towards "spot illustration", but you can take classes that are more geared towards say concept art or sequential art. i personally wanna be concept design so my electives are gonna be ID classes with an animation class here and there.

hope that helped a bit, any other questions i'll answer inbetween strangling of the tubes of acrylic paint and bangin my head upagainst this comp screen swearin at painter. peace

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow, thanks majestix. Oodles of help. ccad is looking more and more interesting every day. Cost wise it looks like the best bet. Of course i wouldnt mind going to artcenter but who wouldnt i guess. also ohio is fairly close to wisconsin(where i live) which is nice.
    thanks again majestix

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thats cool there is a thread for CCAD! ...i am starting this fall there for illustration! i got a 44grand scholarship to go so... but i had to turn down going to Ringling for animation! but $$money$$ decide$ alot i gue$$... so people PM me and let me know what i'm getting into... i heard the illustration department is really good so thats Awsome!

Thats cool to know that some good artist came from this school yeah thats incouraging!

"we are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit"
    -Aristotle

my OLD sketchs urban Exploration SITE!
    my BLOG

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, it's final, I'm goin' to Columbus. Thanks everybody here for your help and thoughtful replies, it was most appreciated.

Anybody here goin' to the orientation in June?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Moccomouse
    Anybody here goin' to the orientation in June?
    represent! going the 2nd date

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Denart
    represent! going the 2nd date
    Really? It says on your website (which is kickass, btw) that your goin' to MIAD.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    heheh.
    long story, long story...

that as an old post on my site. I'm going to CCAD now!
    I found out that MIAD focuses a lot on the abstract and modernism art...whatever!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool. What do you think your gonna major in?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh, definitely illustration! its what that school is known for man!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, I've heard good things about the illus prog. I still think I'm gonna take the I.D. route, but who knows, I may change my mind.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah i don't even know what orientation iam going to at all... are they supposed to tell me... I have a feeling that there gunna out me up for june!... oh well we'll see!

"we are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit"
    -Aristotle

my OLD sketchs urban Exploration SITE!
    my BLOG

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.