Illustration Activity - (New Activity-Month Long-join before Dec. 7th) - Page 9
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 9 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Thread: Illustration Activity - (New Activity-Month Long-join before Dec. 7th)

The darkest abyss, close, but actually Washington
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, Photobucket, screwed the shadows it was suppose to be a lot darker, but I agree, but I am an anime freak through and through, so if you can elborate on "More detail" I will gladly lend an ear.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The Mad Hatter, for example, is basically just a naked body in a hat and with a hook. No facial features besides the grin are apparent, no hint of a nose under the shadow (and if there was a light so strong as to give such a hard shadow, it would also largely affect the rest of the body, where there is no shading). That kind of stuff is what I meant.

Sketchbook: Aremah: Book One

Old stuff: Aremah's Irregular Sketchbook and Dump

Cold silence has a tendency to atrophy any sense of compassion.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aw, man, only one not mentioned in your crits, Aremah, I feel ashamed and neglected

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I did a Mad Hatter.

I'm not to keen on it.

I would keep at it, perhaps do another one building off of what I've started in this one, but I am lazy as hell and hardly draw anymore *sigh*, so don't expect much more.

Out.

Absolute Honesty

I Can't Stand People That Can't Spell.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Masmak - sorry about that, I missed your post somehow. I like the idea, but the shading is poo. Of course, it's hard to do anything with a touchpad (it's even hard a lot of the time with a mouse), so no point going on about the technique. I do feel you could've used a more uniform light-source (as it is, it's hard to pinpoint one).

Anyway, here's my entry. I thought I had more time, but something came up, so I had to go ahead and rush the shading. Went back to something I used to do a long time ago, and it was kinda fun, but yeah, it could use more attention. I'm very fond of the concepts I came up with, but that's about all I'm fond of in this picture. Anyway...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for that
    all things duly noted and agreed with. Have a mouse now, so I'll get to practise shading

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Too bad I didn't find this thread earlier, this is an assignment that would be really fun to work with.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Alice, Hatter and Hare

Hi All,

FirsThis is my first post on CA, I just couldn't resist the theme this week.

Cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I see u havent postet a new "mission" yet rick so ill post my version of alice.

btw this is real watercolor so it looks kinda odd on the computer.

And this is the scan without any contrast brightness fix.

Last edited by Anders89; June 18th, 2005 at 07:13 PM.
    Lazor

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First, I'd like to discuss some changes that will be made to the illustration activiy, and hopefully it can move up to the next level of usefulness.

Art Briefs- The briefs I give every week are going to be getting more detailed. They will explain things a lot more like a real AD does, and will also take different formats. Sometimes the description will be very limited, but resources will be given for you to research on your own. Other times a piece of writing might be presented and illustration will have to come from that, expect a wide variety as opposed the standard format I've been doing.

Rules- the rules are going to be more strictly enforced, if the description says full body and you turn in a bust, I will not be commenting on them. If it says color and you post a sketch, I will not comment. If a publisher/company wants a colored cover and you turn a sketch things will not go all happy sunshine.

Comments- comments are going to be shifting from "what could be better" to "what needs to be changed" all artists are welcome to carry out those changes and return and EDIT their original post with updated work with the changes. If you do so, you need to comment that you updated with the edit reason option, then if you pm me I will give you a private critique. I will also be listing out of the participants the one I would as an AD hire/purchase. This is not to praise those who are better, but rather to push those who enjoy this to work harder.

I hope to make this a more rewarding to those who participate, and hopefully make new people interested in illustration feel they are getting something out of it.

ok, on to the comments:

dCept- the image is a little dark, almost one tone. . .I think a lighter background would've really made this "pop", also I like the playing cards, but the mace/crown doesn't feel really like the queen to me.

tie- nice design and clean lines, I don't feel that the design is really readable as alice.

lightchaser- interesting concept, nice feel to it as a whole, maybe more apocalyptic would help. . .liked where the rabbit was going.

dan1989- generally I like it, but it loses the iconic feel of the alice characters.

masmak- More detail would help this, also I don't think it conveys the "white Rabbit" enough.

ruptured gastank- looks good, but what is special about alice? She doesn't look like a fighter to me. The madhatter was closer, but what reasons does he have for the meat hook.

machzero- nice work. . .needs to be more recognizable as alice.

zeb- unique, however I lose a lot in the sketch, not sure about his arms, or why his legs are short.

aremah- strong lines, anatomy really improving. rabbit feals less like the wonderland white rabbit. whose the guy with the sword/shield?

DaveJ- rabbit/madhatter feel closer to the characters from the story, really like the "drink me" with alice. . .if she looked more like alice it would be great.

anders89- cool action pose, but once again more alice "feel" would have helped.

Overall these worked fine, most of the failings of these images are not quality but rather substance. To pull off this project you needed to show the Wonderland characters as both fighters and post-apocalyptic. What most of you missed was the "iconic" image that these characters have and keeping that while transfering it over.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Assignment # 8 Creature illustration
    Type : black & white or greyscale (no sketches)
    Subject: full body creature design

Description: A small film company is looking to hire an artist to do an illustration of the main creature in their film in order to "pitch" to investors for a higher budget. So far they have no idea what the creature will look like, but the excited director and producer had this to say:
    "She's like the grandmother of all demons, like old and disgusting"
    "and she's fat"
    "yeah, she's old and fat, and has the body of a maggot, all covered with slime and stuff"
    "I think she probably has boles and open wounds. . .like rotting skin hanging in places"
    "sure, but not too much rotting skin, but like large large sagging tits all wrinkle like"
    "Wtf, wrinkled up tits, what the hells wrong with you?"
    "fine, but she has to have horns, giant twisted horns."
    "yeah, that would be so cool"

So, that's what they told you. . .good luck.

Deadline : Saturday, June 25

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Angry Dammit!

i totally screwed myself on this assignment. i couldn't get my scans to keep the details i had in the originals so i just scrapped the whole thing.

oh well. on to the next thing i guess. this one looks like it could be good fun.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i quess ur right about the feel rick but if u look closer alice have got the same uniform she had in the movies.

but then there is the next task to focus on and im ready for some good time.

Btw its still allowed to post sketches before the deadline and edit with the finnished piece later or is it prefered to post in the sketches and wip on your own thread?

Lazor

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Rick, the thin dude was supposed to be a Mad Hatter (think perverted Texas Chainsaw Massacre version ). Yeah, I kinda lost the iconic feel because I was thinking Fallout way too much. Should've at least added a watch on the rabbit somewhere, and though of something else for the Hatter. Oh, well. I'm looking forward to the changes in the new activity

So is she supposed have the wrinkled tits or not? I mean, if this was an actual conversation, would the artist side with one of the speakers on this matter as he wished, or would he have to assume that they don't want them after all? And another stupid question: if it's a full body design, is it more of a concept thing, or do we have to make into a full blown illustration (i.e. complete background, props, whatnot)?

Last edited by Aremah; June 19th, 2005 at 08:39 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    it's my first post here at all. So welcome.
    It's my grandmother monster

update 3

Last edited by Pawlack; June 21st, 2005 at 03:39 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

i love the new rules (i love rules? what have i become? ), they are just what i thought it needed.

a question though; if the assignment is for a b/w character design or grayscale, can you post the preliminary concepts in sketch format as long as the finished article is presented as well? i have no experience in concept design as a profession, but i'd imagine you have to come up with several effective concepts and this might include showing evidence of previous concepts, blah blah blah i'm losing myself in my sentences. anyway. is that.. okay?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Aremah
    So is she supposed have the wrinkled tits or not? I mean, if this was an actual conversation, would the artist side with one of the speakers on this matter as he wished, or would he have to assume that they don't want them after all? And another stupid question: if it's a full body design, is it more of a concept thing, or do we have to make into a full blown illustration (i.e. complete background, props, whatnot)?
    oh, and i don't know if i'm really in a position to say so, but you can see from the fictional conversation that the guy proposing wrinkled tits agreed to there being no wrinkled tits, so i'd assume you draw.. no wrinkled tits. and fully body design probably means.. full BODY design, not full body and background illustration.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Agreed on first, just wanted to be sure.

About the second, though - this is an illustration activity. If you look back at the various assignments before, they were illustrations, with all that it entails. Now, the Re-design thread was locked down, and this is one of those things (also like the Alice assigment) that would have fit better there. Now, perhaps this thread has become a mix - which would be cool. But I don't know that and want to clear it up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is not a concept design activity. . .sort-of.

What is needed is a full body illustration. The illustration is for the company to get more money, and chances are since they didn't have designs before, concepts will probably be devoloped from your image. Think of it more like advertisement. This is sort of like a poster to get you to see the movie. It can either be black & white or greyscale. You can post sketches, but you have to update it with a final by editing the initial post, however I recomend that you just post finals and make a wip outside the activity and just add a link when you post the final. . .this way you get comments and help before presenting an image here. hope this helps, and you can always pm for a private critique, sort of like getting sketches approved for final.

Pawlack- although a nice start for the activity, you need to read the rules for this assignment closer, full body illustration. Also it is mentioned that she has the body of a maggot, the details are always important. If you want to participate, work a little more on your design, make the changes needed, and edit your post with a new image. Thanks, and welcome to the Illustration Activity.

The darkest abyss, close, but actually Washington
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks to Aremah and Rick for the crits, and Alice was to have magical powers and all the coool fireball throwing jazz, I guess I failed there, lol, The Hatter, I just thought he whould look meaner with a hay hook then a teapot, sure, you can clock someones face with a tea kettle, but can you carve off very fine slices of skin and organize them in a crosshatching pattern to cover your face when you go do it again? HA, I think not...

Anywho, this is a thought second assignment, will try to get that mashed out...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I laughed hard when I read the "conversation" between the producer and the director I'm SO down for this assignment!

d-C

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    gah! regrettably can't take part this week owing to school issues which are taking up a greater deal of time than anticipated. But back in the game next week, definitely!

Thanks for the crits on the last one, hershey, all duly noted!

Carnifex is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,061 Times in 830 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    preliminary sketch,gotta find better composition.

Sketchbook

Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]

Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    try turning the maggot body part like it was a snake doing a circle it would make the demon look more balanced.

Lazor

Carnifex is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,061 Times in 830 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    on search of creating a better pic,don't worry...this was just an idea-finding one.

Sketchbook

Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]

Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

lost any sort of inspiration for this halfway through. most likely going to restart and try to do something origional.

fasjd;...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Rick since it said newbie friendly I'll have a go too

I kept upper right corner free to give possibility to add text

Last edited by Mindflaw; June 23rd, 2005 at 08:42 PM. Reason: worked some more on it
    My sketchbook flawed to the max page 5
    Ps:Hope you understand my English.
    Remember my advices taste best with a grain of salt.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

here ya go...

OK, so here's mine. There's something wrong with how her former body is sitting on the maggot body and i know i still have to work on shadows and stuff. that's always been a stumbling block in my work.

In case you don't see the grandmother figure was actually taken over by a giant maggoty thing and you can kinda see where in entered her and what it's done to her since. i was going for something less cliche with the horns. instead of just devil or goat-like horns i made them look like stalagmites ripping through fer flesh to "establish" the new being. hope you like...

btw: there's actually a lighter grey that i used in there but it didn't scan well so there...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

why oh why?

WHY is it that every time I post something the activity dies??? Is anyone out there????

Page 9 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.