Anyone heard know about the various Art Institutes: Miami, Ft Lauderdale, Atlanta...

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Anyone heard know about the various Art Institutes: Miami, Ft Lauderdale, Atlanta...

what goes on,

im new to this forum but i've seen a lot of the work done here and its impressive. im currently in a publice university studying art, but im not quite happy with the way its been goin, been in school two years and i've only take two art classes. i wanted to know if anyone goes to or has heard about the various art institutes out there, AI of Ft Lauderdale, Miami, Atlanta, Tampa..theres a bunch of them. right now im thinking of dropping out of college and going to art school and im doing research to see which school would fit best with what i wanna do. im interested in Illustration if that helps in focusing your replies. any help that you guys can give would be a great help

yea

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Don't have any personal knowledge of the Art Institutes you mentioned. I attend one in Seattle but my major is in Animation.

Best advice that I can give is to visit the school for yourself and look at their curriculum and projects. You may find that they don't offer as much illustration type courses as you think. Depends on the department you get into. We have a lot of illustrators in the animation program because the graphic design program is not geared towards illustration. I know it doesn't make any sense, but AI schools cater to what the local job market is looking for, so if there is no demand for illustrators, they drop the illustration classes from the curriculum. Sad really because no one can predict what the job market is looking for in the long run. We still teach traditional animation and yet the market for it is pretty much dead to all but the top 1%. Here's a case where the student interest in that area keeps the classes going even though the job market doesn't support such courses. Comes down to the bottom dollar.

How many art-related classes have you taken? And what kind? And what type of illustration are you looking to do? There's a wide variety of avenues that illustration takes, architectural, transportation and/or product design, fine art... you have to find the right program that fits your needs. Illustration is a catch all term, you need to be a little more specific as to what you want to illustrate and in what medium(s).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i have never step foot into one of them but people keep telling me they are bootleg. dont know how true that is.

cool beans to you...my friend.
    sKeTcHbOoK update page3 (scroll to the bottom of page)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for the replies theyve helped to start to point me in what i hope is the right direction.

pmiles - since ive been in college ive taken one design class and drawing one, which is basically drawing a bunch of still lifes: wooden blocks, soda bottles, and other misc. crap. i hate doing still lifes and the teacher was...sub par at best, she had a degree in film production or something, and she wasnt really teaching us anything. the design class was good though, i had a good prof who had passion and knew what he was talkin about, so that was good.

personally my interest have always been in creating characters, and worlds to place them in, a lot of times i do this in my imaginatinon or i create short stories, but after looking at FENG's site i realized that concept design, or being a concept artist is something that i would enjoy doing.

personally i like working in ballpoint pen, or any pen really, and i like working with photoshop, i wanna try painter but i havnt gotten my hands on a copy yet. these are just the mediums i use at home when im havin fun, but im all about learnin and recently ive seen some stuff done in prisma markers that blew me away so im gonna go and get a set and try them out to see what happens. i consider myself a versatile kid and im willin to create with whatever i have.

any other pieces of advice you can give would be great

paulganguly - i read the thread, it was very informative. my brothers actually gonna be attending the AI in Ft Lauderdale next year and i dont know what he plans on majoring in, but i think this might be helpful in preparing him for the experience. thanks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Before you sell yourself on being a concept artist... consider the level that you must be at to be able to find work doing it. It's not an entry level position and it is not a job that results in long-term full-time employment... as in, you will either have to learn another skill to justify their keeping you employed when they move into the production phase or get used to the idea that you will have to keep moving around.

Still life is beginning drawing. There are some skills that you need to learn while drawing still lifes... since nothing is in motion, it is a good way to practice short of drawing from photos. As for being taught how to draw... that is really something that can't be taught as easily as say learning how to do math. Most people discover how to draw through practice, not by following some step by step guide. Consider this, the masters all learned this way... they started out by replicating everything to exacting detail then switched to conveying their ideas in their own unique style. You really can't skip this step as your work will show it. You'd be amazed out how many people can render alien creatures but when faced with the human form, crumble. Their life's work has been about drawing things that don't have any obvious reference to the real world, thus there are no right or wrong answers... but when faced with the task of drawing something people know innately, their work shows a lack of understanding of human form and balance. This is not to say fantasy worlds and whatnot aren't a good form of practice, you just have to know that you aren't avoiding certain subjects because you can't draw them. A good artist will challenge themselves to draw what is difficult so that they learn how to master it. They don't have to draw it all the time, but knowing that they can draw it as opposed to knowing that they can't makes selling your skills to a potential employer that much easier.

BTW, I am no artist. My stick figures vaguely resemble sticks. I spent a whole quarter drawing nothing but the human figure in open life drawing (12 hours per week outside of class) and I have 3 sketchbooks documenting my struggle with it. I no more have a handle on how to draw the human form now then I did when I started... people would suggest otherwise but I know I am still grasping for the answer. When I can sit down and know that I can draw the human form consistently and quickly, then I will know how to draw. I respect the work of those who can sit down and painlessly execute a nice figure in mere seconds... but then they didn't just start drawing yesterday... they've been drawing for years.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.