Thanks

Karol Josef Wojtyla [aka the pope] just died.

Karol Josef Wojtyla [aka the pope] just died.
    I saw on TV that the pope just died.
    I think its cruel that the media are making that big a deal out of it. I mean, he IS the pope but only a human being.

anyway, what do you guys think aboot this? did you suffer or feel pity for the pope?

debate!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 408 Posts
    Im an agnostic, so i dont feel any way or another. But i know he meant a great deal to very many people. My symphaty and condolances to those who lost a religious leader, and maybe even a source of inspiration or comfort.

Thanks
    Yeah man, just saw the breaking news...

As a non-practicing Catholic, I am a little sad - he suffered before his death, and still had to take Mass at Easter whilst breathing thru a tube, kinda cruel to make him do this in his failing health, but he did commit to the Priest hood, he accepted it, so it was his duty.

The media will make a big hoohaa, cos well, he IS the Pope. I mean, come on, how could they not? Its a big event....
    (btw, when Mother Teresa died, no-one batted an eye-lid over here, not a twitch; they were all still torn by Lady Dianas death a few DAYS earlier...tsk tsk )

John Paul II will be remembered and replaced. In the end, he is just a priest. His life commitment to the 'hood is one of many....

Mollyx

Thanks
    i wonder how many lives he could have saved if he had encouraged the use of condoms and stuff

Thanks
    I think that he gave much for all the needed people in the world. He gave hope. He was a very good guy until his end.

rest in peace...
    Freelancer Artist

Thanks
    I'm not religious or anything, but it makes me sad. He was probably one of the most 'modern' Christian rulers, he tried to change the church so it is more tolerant and that is something I deeply respect.

Oh, and it was pretty terrible how much he suffered in the end.

Thanks
    D.V.D - it's a huge tragedy for many people around the world for us Poles especially, so why don't you wonder with your mouth shut ? because now is not the right time to say such incredibly stupid stuff. There's no obligation to respond on every thread so if you have nothing meaningfull or wise to say - don't say anything.
    Sketchbook
    Sketch(up)book
    Blog
    Twitter
    ------------------------------------------------------
    TEAM CHOW - Nasty Sausages
    CURRENTLY LISTENING TO:
    The Ocean Collective

Thanks
    I'm amazed at how one death can cause so much sadness and grief. Whatever titles, he was one man. Then again, I never got on with Catholicism.

For those who feel hurt - my condolences.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight
    I'm amazed at how one death can cause so much sadness and grief. Whatever titles, he was one man. Then again, I never got on with Catholicism.

For those who feel hurt - my condolences.
    There are a lot of times when that one man is the difference. Gandhi, Martin Luther King, John F. Kennedy, Joshua of Nazareth, etc....

I don't believe in God but I was raised Catholic and I do know that Pope John Paul was revolutionary in a lot of regards to Catholocism. He was the first Pope to acknowledge and issue an apology on behalf of the Catholic Church for the atrocities commited by the Nazi's during WWII.

Regardless of people's personal beliefs Pope John Paul was a human being and the passing of a human being should almost always be treated with respect.

May he rest in peace.
    Last edited by Ssenkrah Semaj; April 2nd, 2005 at 05:22 PM.
    -Call me Semaj for short.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by thirdeye
    D.V.D - it's a huge tragedy for many people around the world for us Poles especially, so why don't you wonder with your mouth shut ? because now is not the right time to say such incredibly stupid stuff. There's no obligation to respond on every thread so if you have nothing meaningfull or wise to say - don't say anything.
    When did dieing of old age become a tragedy?

Thanks
    Since the person dying has such spiritual and historical meaning for the whole nation. Maybe "tragedy" was too strong word and I know that it may be hard to understand for some people but the Pope was one of the most - if not the most - important people our country ever had. He was like symbol. Very meaningful to our country in the times of the communism. I don't know to what fact in American history can i compare this so you can understand what's going on in Poland now. So let me just say that the last 2-3 days reminded me a lot about the Sept 11. Now , just like then there's no usual programme on the TV but news all the time - on every channel. People were not doing their usual stuff for the last few days , but listening to the news waiting for THE information. Now that we know that he died there are thousands of people on the streets praying for him. Some of them are crying for the loss some feel reliefed that he is no longer in pain.
    Sketchbook
    Sketch(up)book
    Blog
    Twitter
    TEAM CHOW - Nasty Sausages
    CURRENTLY LISTENING TO:
    The Ocean Collective

Thanks
    May Karol Jˇzef Wojtyła rest in peace. I have not been alive so long to so any Popes before him, yet I think of him as being one of the greatest. He did many things other Popes didn't, and I hope he will be happy in Heaven.

I also think that it was good that he is finally able to rest, as he has suffered for years now. I was going to go see Sin City today, but one I heard he passed, I don't feel like it anymore.

W imię Ojca i Syna, i Ducha Swiętego. Amen.

Thanks
    Im pretty agnostic myself but I do respect him for trying to have a more tolerant church. He did try and he publically apologized for the child molestions unlike many groups, really do respect him for that. Rest in peace.
    "Do the best that you wanna do." -My personal quote.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=35829

Sketchbook Thread. Look at it, rate it, post and crit on it.

Thanks
    So whos the next pope?.. i say our arnold should go for it.

Face it, he IS gov. of California..

Thanks
    I believe that he, like many old religeous man of significant standing, was just used by the church to make money
    money money money...

The christians, the muslams, ye, the jews too
    Very few precentage of orthodocs of the 3 above are actually in it because of their holy faith and spiritual power.

So I say, good thing he passed away, at least he can't be used anymore.
    Honest love makes one's soul a reflection of the partner's mood.

No sleep - More draw!

Thanks
    ^<POV type="objective">In days gone by, and in The Godfather Part III, that may have been the case, but that was hten, and this is now. People are slightly less stupid these days. Not saying corruption isn't there, but these days you wouldn't go wrong in giving people the benefit of the doubt. </POV>

<POV type="Christian">I'm not Catholic, I'm non-denominational Protestant, but I do respect this guy and all he did for the Catholic Church. It saddens me to see him go, but when you get right down to it, he had served his time, and God wanted to take him home. May he rest in peace. </POV>

Thanks
    let the conclave begin!

Thanks
    Not sure how I feel about this.. I'm not a believer, but of all the overly powerful men in the world today, the pope was one of the few that I didn't want to crack the skull on.. If there is a heaven I'm sure the pope's right up there having a great time.

Thanks
    It saddens me. I remember when he became the Pope, remember when he was shot, got the Pope-mobile, etc. etc.

Though it saddens me, it was inevitable, and has been for some time. His health has been progressivly failing for a couple of years now, and I have nothing but respect for him for carrying out his duty to not just Catholics, but also to the world in the face of increasingly ill health. I respect him because, like Olsen said, he's one of the few world leaders that were true to his beliefs, and the ideals of peace.

So, I am saddened, but not surprised. I fear the next Pope will have some very large shoes to fill.

~Shane

Character of the Week :: A weekly character exploration activity.

Thanks
    I sure hope the Next Pope deals more harshly with those Rapist Priests. Or perhaps they have been and I missed that article...hope so.

I got a wwwild Idea ..Let Them Marry. The idea of them not being able to wed isn't something that started from the beginning. Let those fucking men be human and they won't be transformed into a Devilish Fucking Rapist.

Thanks
    Good man he was. Missed...he will be (by those who love him of course...not me). Care, I really don't. On the other side, we'll see you.

Yoda Speech, I apologise for.
    There are 3 sides to every story. Yours, mine and THE TRUTH.

Thanks
    Hahahah..

-JtJ

Thanks
    well, my polish friend was in tears, but me...i dunno, but i bet he was a cool person. R.I.P.
    Do you know the muffinman?

Originally Posted by creatix
    Once you understand what the word "stupid" means - age is no longer a valid excuse for being that way.

Thanks
    It was his time, I am glad for the Pope because he has finally reached the place where he spent his whole life trying to reach.

And I just wanted to say that people who judge the Pope based on his beliefs are just judging the Catholic Church, the Pope was simply upholding the apostolic tradition that has been passed down to him from the past Popes.

Thanks
    "When you kill one person it is a tragedy, when you kill one million it is a statistic." -Josif Stalin

Thousands upon thousands die every year and no one mourns and yet one person dies from complications of old age and it has to be a grievance for everyone.
    Yes, he can arguably be described as a historical figure, but seldom we forget that the institution that he represented was not candid and still is not.
    Same thought goes to the first-world guilt trip we were subjected as a whole when the tsunami occured last year.
    Why not be consistent and grieve everyday or not care altogether?
    Last edited by skullsquid; April 4th, 2005 at 08:24 PM.
    DON'T CLICK THIS

Thanks
    Well, he helped millions of people.

Thanks
    I've kind of been watching this from the sidelines - while I'm agnostic, I don't have much in the way of moral or spiritual connection to the Catholic faith or to the Pope.

While I do have to agree with evildisco (mostly) and D.V.D., (even if his comment was out of place), I will admit that it's rare to see such masses in mourning and it's almost beautiful at times to witness a collective sadness like that... as long as we don't linger on what has already come to pass.