Thread: JJS Photos

Thanks

JJS Photos

This is going to be a thread to show, what I call, my "sketch" photos. I call them sketches because I went out to capture the look of the image, to give me a way to document my ideas quickly so I can think about them and then go back later with a tripod to compose better photos. So alot of these photos are blury, some on purpose, others not.

Please leave comments about what you like, don't like, ideas you have, comments on improvement and yada yada yada, you know the rest.

(PS. Please visit my website and check out my other work too.)

http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/jsoracco/index.html

JJS Photos

JJS Photos

JJS Photos

JJS Photos

JJS Photos

JJS Photos

JJS Photos

JJS Photos

JJS Photos

So what do you guys think?
    Last edited by JJS; August 10th, 2005 at 12:24 AM. Reason: took out some bad photos

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    i like the first two. the rest are rather out of focus... maybe try focusing on something specific

Thanks

Thanks

Thank you for you comments. Like I said, some of these (like the last one) I threw out of focus on purpose (I wanted to look it as a series of abstract colors, shapes and composition.) Others like the one with the table and chairs and the empty parking lot were ment to be in focus, but without a tripod I tried to capture it the best that I could so I could record my idea to come back to later (when I do I will post up my images). They are all slightly blury because I was outside at night without a tripod by the way.

I will also be posting up my black and white photos that I am in the middle of taking now. I am doing a serries in B&W film with deserted public spaces taken in the very early morning (with a tripod of course!). So far it is going good, I think I have at least one-three images already, but I will wait until the series are a little more developed before I post them.

Check back next Friday sometime to see the series, I will be shooting and printing them all week, I would love to get comments on it as I am working on it.

Thanks again for the comment! And please keep the comments coming, I would love to hear what everyone is thinking about my stuff, everything helps!
    Last edited by JJS; April 8th, 2005 at 05:43 PM.
    JJ Soracco
    Designer | Photographer | Artist
    My online portfolio
    Photo sketchbook Sketchbook

Thanks

Arrow Self Portrait

Here is a photo I just printed this morning, will try to go back and print more later on from this series and go out shooting again later tonight (all these photos taken very late at night, around 1 - 3 AM usually, I don't want people in the shots at all)

JJS Photos
    I think that fixed it

If the image doesn't load, click here
    My self portrait.

Ps. How do I change the name of the thread?
    Last edited by JJS; April 8th, 2005 at 05:12 PM.
    JJ Soracco
    My online portfolio

Thanks
    can't see the self portrait =/

are these digital or traditional?

either way i think a few minor adjustments in photoshop would help color and contrast issues with some of these

i really like your idea of "sketch" photos, i've though of doing that but i tend to only use traditional at the moment so i think it's be a waste of film at times(since i don't have the budget to always buy film )

the last pic on your first post strikes me in a gtood way, it's out of focus but the colors make it very interesting

keep it up man, i like your stuff a lot

Thanks
    Thanks Injection for your comment. The first post that I made was all digital stuff, so no film wasted (there is no way that I could afford to shoot that much film!) The idea is that I would take quick photos, and if I found something that I liked (for example image number 11 which is the chairs) I would go back and shoot it with film later.

The self portrait that you can't see is film that I shot earlier in the week, which is just one part of a series I am working on (I am going to print tonight and should have a couple more pictures up sortly). It is weird, I can see it on a Mac, but not a PC, anyone has a clue what is happing? I saved it as a .tif file, I am going to go back and try a .jpg instead.

If you would like to see it, you can try this link.
    http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/jsora...this_is_me.tif

Thanks again!
    JJ Soracco
    My online portfolio

Thanks
    wow cool portrait

only thing is that i'd really like to just see your shadow as the shadow of the tripod kind of bogs up the composition

i'm thinking maybe put in a stand in person in your place then line up the shot(possibly with a zoom lens to get the same effect) and put yourself in the place of the stand in when you want the shot taken, either take it with a timed sequence or ahve the person take it for you just a suggestion

i really like it though, keep it up man

Thanks

Wink Series so far...

Below is the images that I have so far in my series. The finished product will contain about 6 images, so this is everything that I have shot and printed for that series. The self portrait that I posted before is part of the series as well, I just didn't want to repost it again so soon since this post is going to be so long.

JJS Photos

JJS Photos

JJS Photos

JJS Photos

JJS Photos

JJS Photos

JJS Photos

JJS Photos

The image below is just me playing around in the dark room.

JJS Photos

Here is some other images that I printed earlier ( you can see snow in some pictures.)

JJS Photos

JJS Photos

JJS Photos

JJS Photos

JJS Photos

JJS Photos

Let me know what you guys think, the imput so far has be very helpful!

Thanks!
    JJS
    JJ Soracco
    My online portfolio

Thanks
    I really enjoyed looking at your pictures. Nice job!

Thanks

More shots... digital this time

Ok so I shot these next shots last Friday when I went over to a local botanical garden. These are a few of the best shots that I got from there. All of these ones are taken with my digital camera, a Canon EOS D30.

An update on my B&W series. The project is going good, shot a total of another 4 rolls for it over the weekend and developed them earlier today. I think I will be printing them later on in the week, so they should be up around the weekend. With so much that I shot, I think I will be trying to print and then post at least another 6 images.

Here are just a few shots of flowers.

JJS Photos

JJS Photos

JJS Photos

JJS Photos

JJS Photos

C&C welcomed as always.
    JJ Soracco
    My online portfolio

Thanks

Fresh out of the fixer

Here is another few images that I was able to print today. I have not been able to get into the darkroom recently. I was able to print all of these in under two hours, which is pretty good for me. I will be printing more out in the coming week or two.

C&C are welcome as always.

JJS Photos

JJS Photos

JJS Photos

JJS Photos

JJS Photos
    JJ Soracco
    My online portfolio