Thanks

Do-it-yourself death ray

This won't fit very easily in a side holster but it's cool nonetheless: http://solardeathray.com/
    Mark Hannon
    Art Direction & Design
    Online Portfolio

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    i smell T-bones....fried with the power of 113 suns....hmmmmm

Very cool thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilaekae
    "Art is the physical result of your soul battling with your intellect to the death...with a sharp pencil..."
    THE AUSTRIAN SKETCHLORDS
    Baron Carnifex
    Duke Corky

Thanks
    I thought it was gonna be this crazy guy

http://www.elfis.net/phorum/read.php?f=7&i=36&t=36
    personally I think his bear proof suit is better

but this is way better

Thanks
    Oh man, I totally invented that solar death ray when I was a kid! I was working on a story and this race of aliens were living in secret in some mountains and they used a set up almost identical to that (only much bigger) to generate pwoer. All the mirrors were focused on a giant tank of liquid that somehow harnessed the heat and powered their city (it's a bit hazy, it was a long time ago). I even modelled it in 3DS Max (surely lost to the ravages of time). Good to know my science was for the most part accurate.

As for the young paddy's link, I would love to live in a world where the laws of physics are revolutionized by the guy from Project Grizzly. A world where the crazy guy they based an episode of the Simpsons on gets a Nobel Prize. That would be my kind of world.

0kelvin
    www.WhereIsMyEyeball.com My portfolio! Go check it out!
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    pff, i can do that with my mind. -------------

-Wisdom_boob
    "One needs a certain humility to learn, arrogance never does good." Chiseledrocks.com article

Thanks
    I remember an episode of MythBusters trying to do the same thing with a 20 some foot version of that thing. Didn't work tho. hoax ?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by egerie
    I remember an episode of MythBusters trying to do the same thing with a 20 some foot version of that thing. Didn't work tho. hoax ?
    Read the site:

What about that episode of MythBusters?
    MythBusters is a show on the Discovery Channel, where some talented people
    test various myths and urban legends. During episode 16, they tackled the
    question "Did the Greek scientist Archimedes set fire to a Roman fleet of ships
    using only mirrors and sunlight?" They built a very large but eerily similar cousin
    of the Solar Death Ray and tried to set a chunk of a recreated Roman boat on
    fire. Long story short: they couldn't get it to work. And yet my version does...
    Why? Well, for one thing, I'm trying to focus light on an object a few feet from the
    mirrors, and they were trying to focus on an object dozens of feet away. The
    farther away the target, the more precisely aligned your mirrors have to be. I know
    my mirrors have to be within about +- 0.5 degrees to properly focus light on the
    target, and so the MythBusters had to have mirrors much more precisely aligned. I
    don't know how they aligned their mirrors, but I suspect that was the problem. In
    addition, I would have used a concentrator design much different from both their
    version and the Solar Death Ray. Still, I agree with their conclusion: It would be
    very difficult, but not impossible, for Archimedes to have pulled this off, mainly
    because of the manufacturing tolerances involved. But if Archimedes had the
    resources...
    /fd
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does?"

Thanks
    I remember an episode of MythBusters trying to do the same thing with a 20 some foot version of that thing. Didn't work tho. hoax?
    As I remember, the myth on that particular episode of mythbusters was that Archimedes instructed the Roman soldiers to hold their shields at the proper angle to reflect the sun onto a concentrated point on the ship. Assuming that Archimedes actually made the attempt (remember, this is a myth) the soldiers would have had to polish their shields to a high mirror finish and hold still enough to keep the rays at the same spot long enough for the ship to catch fire. Additionally, they would have had to slightly adjust their angles to compensate for a moving target.

The difference here is that the target for the Solar Death Ray is held in a fixed position and the working idea behind the gadget is about the same as concentrating the sun's rays with a magnifying glass.
    Mark Hannon
    Art Direction & Design
    Online Portfolio