Art: Medusa
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Medusa

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Medusa

Hey there! It's been a while since my last posting. This is a portrait of Medusa done in Painter in Photoshop. I tried staying fairly loose which isn't really my style. Comments and critiques welcomed.

Thanks!

Ryan

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "I just pulled my hair out of the snake pit and I can't do a thing with it."

This is really nice. The composition, pose, and look on her face are excellent. It does not, however, really pop. The values between the figure and background are so close that the image is really flat. While I can accept that she's a titan, and not human, the skin tones aren't necessarily human, but something more alive might jump out at us more and show a bigger contrast between hotty and monster. There also appears to be only one color in the skin, which tends to deaden it, as well.

From a nitpicky point of view, the figure looks a little too rough, when taking the texture of the wall into account. There also seems to be something wonky with the hips, specifically the right one. With the amount of hip swing, it seems to be jutting out quite a bit (comparing it with the left one).

Very nice.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Medusa was supposed to be hideous, not hot

Aidan

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by SaIiLdVaEnR

Aidan
    from http://www.loggia.com/myth/medusa.html

Medusa was a terrible monster who had laid waste to the country. She was once a beautiful maiden whose hair was her chief glory, but as she dared to vie in beauty with Athena, the goddess deprived her of her charms and changed her beautiful ringlets into hissing serpents. She became a cruel monster of so frightening an aspect that no living thing could behold her without being turned into stone. All around the cavern where she dwelt might be seen the stony figures of men and animals which had chanced to catch a glimpse of her and had been petrified with the sight. Perseus, favored by Athena and Hermes, the former of whom lent him her shield and the latter his winged shoes, approached Medusa while she slept, and taking care not to look directly at her, but guided by her image reflected in the bright shield which he bore, he cut off her head and gave it to Athena, who fixed it in the middle of her Aegis.

from Bulfinch's Mythology

Many later images of Medusa thwart our expectations of what she should look like. From the previous story, we are led to believe that she was a creature so hideous in appearance that her very glance could petrify the viewer. However, in works such as the Medusa Rondanini, Medusa has the face of a beautiful woman. It is only her expression of deep sorrow - and the intertwined snakes around her head - that hint that this is a representation of the monster of myth and legend. This manner of depiction reveals that Medusa was originally a lovely woman - it was her tragedy that she was foolish enough to compare herself to a goddess.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by SaIiLdVaEnR

Aidan
    My goal was to just paint a beautiful woman and only on second glance would one realize that her hair were snakes. I wanted to do the opposite of Harryhausen.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My wife is very attractive, but can give a look that immobilizes me... (eating the last cookie, flatulence, that kind of thing)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think that there is one main problem with this drawing. The hips aren't wide enough. Other smaller problems are that the right side of her back is too long, her legs are just a tad too thin and her bum needs to swivel otherwise she;s gonna have some real back problems.

All in all I liked this when i saw it. What will be the purpose of this drawing, if any?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i think the upper half of the pic is really great- composition figure and colors, i likee her face. The lower half has its problems- when i look at the pic my eyes start to move from her head down her back, then to her buttom , then legs and out of it. i dont know but maybe the lower half could use something more, that attracts the eye to use the space efficiently, so im not so fast out of the picture. Hope this makes sense . - maybe its just an anatomy problem with her buttom.

good work!

- Miau

<<<sketchbook >>>
    <<<gallery >>>>>>

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.