Thanks

Get rich or DIE trying....

Here's a question full of moral conflict: Do the job you love for 1/4 the pay of the job you could pursue that you care for very little.
    I'm serious here. I plan on attending Full Sail to focus on computer animation, but I could pursue a law degree that would cost me nothing. Hey, be honest here, is money worth happiness? Honest now...
    He who asks is a fool for five minutes,
    but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Starting over.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,309 Times in 389 Posts
    IMO, anything that is turned into a job gets boring automatically.
    Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.

Thanks
    If you plan on going to Full Sail, make sure you do a good amount of research on it first. Dont just jump into that place like I did. Personally, I feel like I could've saved myself a load of money by just buying all of the gnomon and alias dvd's for a small fraction of the cost of tuition and living.
    Cave House Studios - creative animation and video
    What the Sketchbook

Thanks
    i think money matters to some degree. if you'll be happy poor and doing what you love, then go for it.

if you admit to some materialistic needs and go for that, then that's fine too. as long as you're happy.

either way, i wouldn't be a lawyer
    Hey dog. . . . did you see the size of that chicken?!

Thanks
    Get the law degree. Its free, and IIRC your family may need the money and your career options are more varied when you graduate....ie...nothing stopping you from being an artist with a law degree...but you have that option.

No stopping you from learning and drawing either. Anyway, nothing is easy...it gets harder when you do something you like coz you want to beat yourself time and time again.
    There are 3 sides to every story. Yours, mine and THE TRUTH.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by darth massacre
    Get the law degree. Its free, and IIRC your family may need the money and your career options are more varied when you graduate....ie...nothing stopping you from being an artist with a law degree...but you have that option.

No stopping you from learning and drawing either. Anyway, nothing is easy...it gets harder when you do something you like coz you want to beat yourself time and time again.
    /sigh
    My family is an issue for another day, lol.

Starting over.

Thanks
    That's a hard one.

I'm new around here, but I can tell you I gave up a very solid academic major in order to persue art, and while I may not be the most amazing artist on the planet I am a much happier person.

Part of me says if the law degree is free- go for it. If you have the degree, it's always something to fall back on. You can do art in your spare time (do lawyers have spare time?...) and you could always opt for a career change later.

I will say this though- don't give up your art, you'll regret it. There's a reason you love it- and no offense, but I can't imagine ANYONE honestly loving our country's judicial system.

Thanks
    You only get one life, and I'll be fucked if I'd waste it being a well-paid suitlicker. Be happy- do what you love! Money ain't shit by comparison.

Thanks
    you could be sitting on a rock with no posessions but still be happy.

Thanks
    >>>>>>you could be sitting on a rock with no posessions but still be happy.

i just been abroad for GFX and almost tried to EAT a rock
    if you have to work for food and cannot even pay for that
    let alone things like being able to get medical help or a dentist

the concept of happiness can really change not talking about being materialistic here but REALISTIC

i have a steady job and nice freelance work here at home and being warm sure helps in the GFX field............

btw with your current talent and all.. you can sit on that rock with a degree
    and do GFX and be happy too you know..

Thanks
    It takes a lot of motivation to be successful in several different fields. Law is one of them. If you want to work with law (there are a lot of ways to do so, this being a nation built on law), get a law degree and keep learning about art, as well. If you are just doing it for the money, you will not be happy or successful (unless you are a prodigy, then all bets are off, cause you could drop a turd on your boss's desk and he'd shine it and mount in front of the picture of his kids). I was able to go off to another field, but I love it and it now gives me time to start drawing again (though I am not used to the time and waste a lot of it as you can tell here).

The most important thing is to gauge all of the input, then register why you made the decision you did. Then, later in life, when things get tough (as they always do, life being life), you can look back with a clear head and know why you made the decision. It is in this way that you can live without regret. Be conscious of your decisions and why you make them. Your future self is going to question the hell out of your present self... malicious bastard.

Thanks
    Always do what YOU want to do. A job you don't care about, might seem interesting for a few years once you get into it... but work in the field for a while and you are likely to become so bored with it you'd wish you could go back in time and bitchslap some sense into yourself.

I used to be a programmer, making programmer salary. The kind when you go online and buy a few gadgets every week and still plenty of money to fund your investment account. But when i went to work i spent my mind on stuff that was so incredibly boring... all i would do is sit and think about what i would paint when i go home. Years of this will make you VERY unhappy. Especially with mentally demanding jobs... law is one of them. Once you get home and pick up a brush, you are litereally mentally spent to the bone.

Anyway, just my 2c. I think there are different kind of people in this world... some have stamina to do what they don't want to do their whole life, some dont - and will grow very depressed or rebellious if they are forced to.

Thanks
    What's the point of being wealthy if you aren't happy?

Unfortunate that I am neither.

I would love to be a struggling filmmaker than number 1 in my company.
    -Call me Semaj for short.

Thanks
    This is awesome, great feedback fom all y'all peeps. I's not so much about my situation as it is a general moral question.

Starting over.

Thanks
    Art or Law degree... how about you be one of those lawyers that draws on a chalk board while explaining your case! YES You'll HAVE IT ALL!!!

Now seriously... Art to me is freedom and Law degree is your nose in a book. Money makes life definitly easier but that will not bring you true happiness. You just need to figure out what makes you truly happy. Your family? Art? Money? all 3? if you're the last option then go with my suggestion at the top.

Thanks
    i am in the exact same situation.. well almost exactly..
    i plan on doing art (or something that is related to art) for a living, too.. yet i am still in school and final exams are coming up (it's called abitur here in germany) so i am in a struggle between doing HARD work for fucked up school or HARD work for art... i draw a lot at the moment but i waste far too much time in front of the pc playing counter-strike or surfing here.
    i guess if you really love doing art and drawing or painting or sculpting and get enuff of it you may consider doing it as your profession. most people including my family (and probably your family) generally dont take me fully serious because they cant imagine how i could live off it. i guess it takes a lot of guts and good luck to really earn enough to not starve to death while doing it.
    but on the other hand i COULD NEVER imagine becoming a lawyer and therefor representing my fucked up law system and all people that stay behind it. i couldn't imagine doing something most of my life that would make me happier than doing art.

good luck on YOUR way, buddy

Thanks
    stay away from full sail thats all youll be doing is giving them money.

+ there use to be a website dedicated to full sail www.fullsailsucks.com

i know going to any school as long as you put a lot of work into it wont really matter afterwards because youll be good for a job. But please make sure you get what you pay for.

*anyways thats MY oppinion* I went to their presentation there (like a friggen cult) what ive heard is students who already graduated there some get a job at full sail to teach there which means youll be getting them as your teacher. The only good jobs ive seen so far that your able to get is at the nearby EA. But, please make sure you do tons of research. The only reason why im mentioning this is to just make sure you really look at the schools around you. Anyways, what ive heard about the school gave me a bad taste in my mouth so i just didnt go.

maybe i should of kept my mouth shut on this one but believe me my intentions are good. And for anyone whos attending there, nothing against you.

look at ringling if you can as well, or IADT. Last time i checked around with fullsail their accredidation was not good at all *please correct me if im wrong* this was a while back maybe a year ago or so maybe they changed something.

You only get one life, and I'll be fucked if I'd waste it being a well-paid suitlicker. Be happy- do what you love! Money ain't shit by comparison.
    Last edited by Wisdom_Cube; March 31st, 2005 at 08:50 PM.
    "One needs a certain humility to learn, arrogance never does good." Chiseledrocks.com article

Thanks
    What about a mix? A lawyer who represents artist (mostly) aswell as being a artist.Lawyers are busy but i think you could work out something to go to art school after. It is a big decesion though,i myself would go to art school cause that is where my passion is but other situations would cause me to change that. For example if I had a family,or was a major contributor to my family. Good luck though,whatever you make make sure you will never regret it.

Thanks
    The past few years I've been dreaming about becoming an artist. Lately, I've been thinking more realistically. If you go to school, get an education in a profession that will provide you with a fulfilling income, then you are smart with your money and develop some wealth, then do you really have to work? No, you don't. Look around you, most wealthy captialists are not smart, and are lazy. No joke, the owner of the restaurant that I work at, he does nothing all day long. He drives to work once every 3 weeks, in his brand new porche, and he walks around and talks to people. Thats it. He has managers do the rest. My point is: If you come to a place in life where money isn't an issue, are you more free to persue your passions (such as art)? I'm starting to think you are.

The second idea of my plan is stability. Many art careers don't require a degree. So why get one? I've found that you don't need a teacher for most things. I actually do better when I teach myself, because I know how I learn best. I taught myself how to draw, and I'm teaching myself spanish. I've been teaching myself spanish for a week now, and I know more spanish then french (I've been taking french for 3 years now, and I don't retain any of it). Getting a BFA in art simpily seems like a waste because you don't need it. So why not get a degree for a career that pays well and has more stability. Then you can try an art career, if you trip and fall, then your degree with catch you.