Thanks

e-Bay seller charging $ for Loomis pdfs

Just stumbled on this while browsing and have half a mind to turn this guy in. All he's doing is burning the online Loomis books to CDs and charging anywhere from $7 -$10. Is this even legal? I checked his history and he's been doing it for a while now.

click

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I don't imagine it's illegal. The books aren't under copyright afterall. Unethical would be the worst word we could use, I think. Anybody who buys them ought to have looked around a bit more!
    Art is long and time is fleeting

Sketchbook
    Website

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tully
    The books aren't under copyright afterall.
    Yes they are.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Actually, I believe the books are under copyright, since the copyright usually lasts 70 years after the death of the author, or 95 years after date of last publication. Loomis died in '59 so that would mean the copyrights good at least through 2029. The reason they are put on the web is because they aren't being reprinted and the only available copies go for hundreds on ebay and elsewhere. Technically illegal I think, but lots of technically illegal things going around the internet.

Thanks
    Hmm.. colour me incorrect then! Who would be the proper individual to pay for their use, I wonder. His heirs?
    Art is long and time is fleeting

Sketchbook
    Website

Thanks
    Thanked 1,309 Times in 389 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wikipedia
    While governments had previously granted monopoly rights to publishers to sell printed works, the modern concept of copyright originated in 1710 with the British Statute of Anne. This statute first accorded exclusive rights to authors rather than publishers, and it included protections for consumers of printed work ensuring that publishers could not control their use after sale. It also limited the duration of such exclusive rights to 28 years, after which all works would pass into the public domain.
    This is pretty far from the current copyright laws where the publisher can own the copyright for almost 200 years and also dictate how the consumer may and may not use stuff. We live in a world where companies camp products just so no one else can use them, like kids in a sandbox.
    Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.

Thanks
    Just so no one else can use them? Isn't that the point? They sell those things. If people are allowed to duplicate and distribute these things for free, and that's legal, then the authors--and the artists--get majorly shafted and have even less of a chance of being able to put food on the table by being authors and artists. Does this mean that I didn't download Loomis? Absolutely not. I even printed out Figure Drawing for all it's Worth. Those books are out of print, so I stretch a point there, like most artists here do. But when you speak of monopolizing copyrighted works like it's some kind of crime, well, don't you like to monopolize your works so you can actually stand a chance at making some green with them?

Thanks
    The problem is when they hold onto a book with no intention of re-printing it, when someone else may be perfectly willing to do so. Think of the number of small publishers that would like Loomis's (or others) books to be public domain, so anyone could print them.

Thanks
    No, I sort of agree with you SJB.

I was more refering to patent 'squatters' and the likes. In recent events, we have the DoomIII incident:

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20040728-4048.html

How would you feel if some company squatted Loomis, ie. not printing any new copies and hunting 'pirates'? Should the law support such behaviour?

No, the law should be for the wellbeing of the people.

I think as soon as the law is made for just a group of people, we got fascism. The copyright laws were NOT made for the authors or publishers and investers. They were made so the people would get more products, since people could make a living producing these products.
    Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SJB
    well, don't you like to monopolize your works so you can actually stand a chance at making some green with them?
    No, I put shit up on my website for free. If I wasn't so lazy there'd be even more shit

And I don't like when other people make 'greens' with my art either, because I don't think greed should limit the availability of art or any other form of joy that can be distributed at no cost.

There is no connection between having money and being worthy of experiencing art.

It's a separate issue that people must be able to put food on the table.

Of course I'm a hypocrite because I do charge for doing art (not having already done it though). What can I say, I have to betray my morals to put food on the table. I hope that one day there will be a solution that frees me from that, like a lottery win or a food replicator.

Thanks
    speaking of loomis pdf's...does anyone have any? if so, pm me
    Da Vinci was a concept artist
    11/30/03-11/30/05. Thanks CA, for all the great inspiration. When will I update? I dont know...
    ' DSB!