Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Lightbulb Personal Projects???

Whom of you are developing your own personal projects? By yourself, with a buddy, comrade and so on?

I'm actually taking a break from writing my story for my Graphic Novels as I eat my BootLeg Red Baron Pizza. The thought just popped in my head "I wonder who else is doing something like this?"

We all can't always just slave away to the companies(even though we love them so much). Heh. There are many of you out there that have something to say and I hope those of you put your pencil to the paper and make something great! Beyond creating a good piece of art this is a way to take more control over your life rather than designing the next gun for the next meaningless First Person Shooter.

Obviously if you are starting with little means such as I am the best avenue is most likely a Comic Book or Graphic Novel. I started my project dreaming it could be Action Adventure TV cartoon. But, in reality Samurai Jack can't even beat down the increasing wall of BootLeg Anime Cartoons Flooding the Market.(btw I love Naruto) There just isn't room for American cartoons unless you are limited to the Payed Out Dexter Style. So my plan is to start with my Graphic Novels and build upon that base.

How bout you guys and gals???

-Joshua James

btw My Avatar is one of the 4 main characters in my book...

Last edited by JoshuaTheJames; March 28th, 2005 at 10:10 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah, i've slowly been developing my own story that i hope to turn into a graphic novel someday. possibly a comic, though i don't think i'd do well with the one issue per month setting. then again, if i can get my writing chops down, it might just turn into a novel with illustrations. but that's way into the future. don't really want to give anything away right now, but it sort of has to do with the breaking up of the supercontinent Pangea into the continents we now know.

the only other "project" i've got going now is a video game mod for Battlefield 2. we're calling it Battle for Earth. modding it out for the future, alien invasion style.

Hey dog. . . . did you see the size of that chicken?!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,309 Times in 389 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Personal projects are very very important to me. So important that my work stuff suffer. I would hate to throw away 2 years of my life on a project doing classified monotous art. I'd rather finish or work on 20 mini projects. It's more enjoyable with more projects since it never gets monotous.

I have like several hundreds of projects I work on. I mostly jump between them, spending days or a week or so on each. Finishing them isn't really important.

Unfortunately, one must work with something to afford to live. I've seriously considered taking a lever pulling job just to have some creativity over for my projects. I need to work less when doing art stuff though cuz it pays better.

Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I only have one good story and I hope to draw characters for it too. I havent been working on it for a while but now that I look at it it must be re-written again. I did submit another story to a contest but I lost... it was too much in the area of a little kids book..I knew it should have been a story with gore...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've always written stories but I have a good 3 stories that im retouching here and there while drawing characters for em. Great fun, I never seem to finish them much like Prometheus. Just never want em to end I suppose. My work pretty much consists of study and personal work. So I think Im taking for granted the amount of time i have. need to stop pussyfooting.

Personal projects are the shiznite.

"Do the best that you wanna do." -My personal quote.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=35829

Sketchbook Thread. Look at it, rate it, post and crit on it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been trying to do an online comic type thing but I've been distracted

My Sketchbook
    ^keep me going by visiting my sketchbook^

Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 307 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Well, it appears that I have an advantage... No game studios or art related jobs to eat up my creative energies.

Actually I have had my share of personal projects that seem to occupy me for brief periods of time where I think "this is gonna be so great! I can already imagine it." That's about as far as I get. Being a full-time student and part-time university events promotion assistant is what pulls me back to reality.

I see myself making a graphic novel too, as it's probably the only medium where you don't have 50 different people with their hands in it, telling you what you should do and which demographics you need to reach. I've had a great idea for the longest time too. Literally about 5 years. It's always changing and revising itself and I've had numerous false starts and redrafts under the idealist pretense that I can make it absolutely perfect if I invest enough time which I never seem to have. It's kind of an all or nothing deal.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Doing a comic series....already mapped out the story, no script...but having too much fun in the conceptual stages of the mechanical designs, armour and weapons. I don't believe I can move into the actual production at all

Also writing a game design plan with some friends.....hopefully one day we'll be able to make a working model and sell it off to the military. ITs a training software actually

There are 3 sides to every story. Yours, mine and THE TRUTH.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My webcomic (en sig) is about a week or to from being relaunched. I've got an extensive story worked out, and I'm daring to hope that possibly, when it kicks off, it might get enough hits to function as a semi-income through my first couple of years of college. Everything in there isn't very good, it's all pre-CA stuff, but I've been doing t3h Loomis and figuring out t3h Prismas in the months that I've been haitused from it, and the site's almost done. Doesn't look it, but it is. This graphic novel has been going through my head for quite some time now, and it's my primary source of inspiration. I'm hoping to really push the envelope with this thing, and my dream job, my ideal dream job is to be a webcomicker for a living. The ultimate escape from the syndicates; just my own thing. Now wouldn't that be great? I know I'd have to jack the quality way the hell up, but I think it's possible.

Personal Projects???

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey joshua, when can we see some of it? is that where the faded oasis character was from?

i have a bunch of personal projects, but the most important to me is one i'm doing all on my lonesome, a storybook with one illustration per page, set to rhyming verses.

i find that work and personal stuff complement each other very well - i.e. they make each other more fun.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hm. We'll see how many will do something with there dreams, or perish under the control of companies.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've always got multiple personal projects on the go, usually game-related. Whether I'm just writing up concept docs, mapping out storylines, sketching out concepts for hypothetical games or just dicking around with RPG Maker, they're all personal projects that may or may not go anywhere.

I'm actually just starting a new one. The idea is still pretty vague inside my head, but it's starting to take form and if I can find the right angle on it it could be killer. I'm pretty excited about it, and if it ever turns into anything worthwhile and not too ambitious I might try to assemble a mod team and build a prototype.

0kelvin

www.WhereIsMyEyeball.com My portfolio! Go check it out!
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Um, I've had a comic idea in mind now for some 5 years, but obviously, I'm not quite at the level where I would really make anything worth reading were I to try and publish it now. I want to make it so each of the pages are very highly detailed, and painted, etc.

Obviously, I'm not really there yet.

Also, my avatar's one of my characters too. It's the one that's kinda based on me. So obviously he's the baddest ass ever.

Of course, I'm sure that my idea won't get off the ground until I'm like 30, or so.

If you're into storylines with a mythical, sci-fi, religious theme (ie. Constantine, Hellboy) you might like some of my ideas.

I've got a buddy that I've bounced a few ideas off of, but I think that by the time (if ever) I get it off the ground, I'll be the only one to actually complete it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Joshua great thread bro....

i have been workin on a few side projects for the past 6 years...
    Working on story elements, plot, script, designs etc...

I've developed my ideas to have mulitple formats for which it may be presented...
    A graphic novel was the first format, and the one most likely to happen in the future(my brother who is a far superior writer is on this with me)...

Video games like Bloodlines, Metal Gear Solid, Splinter Cell and God War, inspired game design documents utilizing my ideas...

And i'm tryin to spin these ideas into movie scripts..(a friend of mine who is an aspiring screenwriter is helping me out)

I also have a magazine idea that i hope would one day see print, if someone else doesn't do it before me...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool thread. My personal project would be my Album, a collection of short comic stories all set in the same city....I have the first 2 done (I think I mightve posted some stuff in my first post here...), but i cant get my head around the writing (or rather bringing structure into my mess ), but something has to happen soon....I already have a publisher waiting so thats kinda cool.

...and Josh, i would love to see some pages pweety pwease...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd love to do some graphic novels... I have some stories fairly worked out. I never lock on to any designs though... I feel like every week I'm changing the character designs slightly and even adding different elements to the story. It's never finished, but eventually I'll probably give up and commit to what I have at that moment.

Actually, I'd rather make animation out of my stories... they all seem to have a good deal of action in them, and there's nothing as fun as animating action.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yes! all those personal projects keep me from having much of a social life! After working more than 8 hours a day at a game studio, I got a couple games that me and some other fellows are working on, hoping to ultimately make them someday, just kinda setting up the design docs, general game design, and some concept art for it. Some others one this site are involved, and the best part about it is you simply do what you want to do, and it's completely open....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    been working on an RPG called CthulhuTech for almost 2 years now. As a result of this originally small/fun project we formed an IP Development company and created a stand alone family card game on the side (not for CthulhuTech for another property). CTech will finally be coming out in August and will be featuring the talents of a few other CA members, more notably TASart, Skrubbles, Prostate Sunrise, Caprotti, Flex Matthews, Steaktron and a few industry legends to round out the line up.
    -Mike V

Thanks
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 408 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Ah.. personal project. Gotta love those. I do them all the time. I come up with an idea, then create art and stories linked to that idea, so that i dont just do random stuff.

My biggest project has been in the works for quite a few years now, where i have created an imagined world with tons of maps, lore, characters, stories and even music. Im using this as a base for all the things i wanna try, wich includes: (but not limited to)

Cartoon
    Music album
    animation
    computer game (mod might be more realistic.)
    graphic novel
    and maybe even a book. (i have a little secret fantasy of making a childrens book. )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    if you have some teaser art for your project guys post em. of course you may not want to give much away but just a little taste would be cool.

joshua, just a little peak... at the art work.

nicolas, your personal project has some of the most... most... well just some of the coolest stuff i have seen. i love it and can not wait for you to do more.

jon

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well me and my brother just started to make a small flash game. a 2d sidescroller, think metal slug but without the tanks ^-^
    the story is still just vague, but we are building it up slowly.
    and, 'cos i cant code for games at all, we have a few really awesome flash coders we have our eye on, once we get a lot of work done, we're gonna ask around and see what happens.

this is all i can show so far, my brother said we're not allowed to show everything ^-^
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...sketch-164.jpg
    just a few ink blobs for the side view sillouettes and size of the first few creatures (there should be lots to blow up ^-^)

peace

Last edited by JoshuaTheJames; March 30th, 2005 at 06:14 PM.
    » sketchbook
    » blog
    » website

(First rule of Pocket Club...)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I'm no where near the stages of going into personal projects even though I have an idea for specific show (show meaning gallery show) I would like to produce one day. My thought however is this.. Being that many people here like rpoducing their own comics and novels with their own stories it would be interesting to see if us "very creative" CA'ers could create our own version of the "Never ending Story". Let me explain. I know pretty much everone here has at one point or another created a story where someone starts it off and the next person continues. Well, how about if we were able to illustrate something like that. Conceptart's version of the never ending story. If we could get some people from the forum to step up and work on this project i think it would be fun to see where everyones imagination would lead. everyone has a different style of drawing and I would guess a different form of writing as well... You could give a month for a deadline or so (so that everyone could create some real quality work) and lets say three pages per artist. By the end of the year there would be 36 pages worth of story telling and more importantly artwork. anyone like this idea?

Mainloop- man i must be dyslexic.. cuz i thought you asked how many people are on lsd

SketchBook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=237554

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kickass silhouettes, Cartoonfox!

There was something like what you're suggesting a year or so ago, vigostar. It was a storyboard where each person did a couple panels. It was pretty entertaining to read. I think asking three pages from each artist is a little too much. I imagine it wouldn't take long for one of the artists to get bored or too busy to complete theirs and then the whole project gets thrown out of whack. Although I think it would be pretty cool if each artist did their own little story, but they were all tied together by being set in the same world/city. That way if one of the artists doesn't finish theirs, it doesn't screw everyone else up.

Here's the only sketch I've done so far for my new idea.
    http://www.whereismyeyeball.com/imag...ok/journey.jpg

0kelvin

Last edited by JoshuaTheJames; March 30th, 2005 at 06:14 PM.
    www.WhereIsMyEyeball.com My portfolio! Go check it out!
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have been working on a screenplay for the past six years now (nearly on a day to day basis) though I work full time as well as I am a full time film student.

I am lucky in that my personal projects will become my professional projects. I try my best to focus on my assignment films though they always lead as inspiration to the personal project.

The film is a high adventure sci fi fantasy. 2600 pages so far. And yes I have my eye on some of you for concept design

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have tons of ideas but zero consistency, I have a short attention span alas.

DON'T CLICK THIS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haha.. great topic...
    I've finally filtered thru all my ideas and decided to make a mod for Source. Pretty much it's WWIII with themes and designs taken from WWI and WWII, while still retaining a futuristic aspect. I'm also doing it as a sort of 'growing' project and a portfilo of sorts. I'm currently a sophmore in high school, so I'm hoping by the end of school I'll not only grow in 2D art but learn 3D and animation, have a very nice portfilo, and see one of the visions in my head turned into an awsome game. Luckily, I've got a couple of friends that fill in other positions like coding and such, so I can concentrate on the art part.

Crappy stuff by me!
    Please check it out and drop advice, tell me what I'm doing wrong, and suggest things to learn!!!
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...723#post428723

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been working on a short animation in Maya for a while now. It's hopefully going to be done by the end of April.

It's for school, technically, but it's also completely my own creation and fairly near and dear to my heart, so I think it counts. I'm just lucky enough to get school credit to do it for the time being.

I have another couple of shorts in mind, but alas no time to persue them just yet....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i got only one personal project going atm: not to repeat mistakes and at the same time expand my horizon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Presence
    The film is a high adventure sci fi fantasy. 2600 pages so far. And yes I have my eye on some of you for concept design
    2600 pages long are you writting it in novel form because that is way too long for a screenplay?

I am currently working on 3 screenplays 2 of which are trilogies. Each covers a different sub-genre Supernatural (werewolf movie), fantasy, and sci-fi epic .

-Call me Semaj for short.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.