Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Personal Projects???

Thanks

Lightbulb Personal Projects???

Whom of you are developing your own personal projects? By yourself, with a buddy, comrade and so on?

I'm actually taking a break from writing my story for my Graphic Novels as I eat my BootLeg Red Baron Pizza. The thought just popped in my head "I wonder who else is doing something like this?"

We all can't always just slave away to the companies(even though we love them so much). Heh. There are many of you out there that have something to say and I hope those of you put your pencil to the paper and make something great! Beyond creating a good piece of art this is a way to take more control over your life rather than designing the next gun for the next meaningless First Person Shooter.

Obviously if you are starting with little means such as I am the best avenue is most likely a Comic Book or Graphic Novel. I started my project dreaming it could be Action Adventure TV cartoon. But, in reality Samurai Jack can't even beat down the increasing wall of BootLeg Anime Cartoons Flooding the Market.(btw I love Naruto) There just isn't room for American cartoons unless you are limited to the Payed Out Dexter Style. So my plan is to start with my Graphic Novels and build upon that base.

How bout you guys and gals???

-Joshua James

btw My Avatar is one of the 4 main characters in my book...
    Last edited by JoshuaTheJames; March 28th, 2005 at 10:10 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    yeah, i've slowly been developing my own story that i hope to turn into a graphic novel someday. possibly a comic, though i don't think i'd do well with the one issue per month setting. then again, if i can get my writing chops down, it might just turn into a novel with illustrations. but that's way into the future. don't really want to give anything away right now, but it sort of has to do with the breaking up of the supercontinent Pangea into the continents we now know.

the only other "project" i've got going now is a video game mod for Battlefield 2. we're calling it Battle for Earth. modding it out for the future, alien invasion style.
    Hey dog. . . . did you see the size of that chicken?!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,309 Times in 389 Posts
    Personal projects are very very important to me. So important that my work stuff suffer. I would hate to throw away 2 years of my life on a project doing classified monotous art. I'd rather finish or work on 20 mini projects. It's more enjoyable with more projects since it never gets monotous.

I have like several hundreds of projects I work on. I mostly jump between them, spending days or a week or so on each. Finishing them isn't really important.

Unfortunately, one must work with something to afford to live. I've seriously considered taking a lever pulling job just to have some creativity over for my projects. I need to work less when doing art stuff though cuz it pays better.
    Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.

Thanks
    I only have one good story and I hope to draw characters for it too. I havent been working on it for a while but now that I look at it it must be re-written again. I did submit another story to a contest but I lost... it was too much in the area of a little kids book..I knew it should have been a story with gore...

Thanks
    I've always written stories but I have a good 3 stories that im retouching here and there while drawing characters for em. Great fun, I never seem to finish them much like Prometheus. Just never want em to end I suppose. My work pretty much consists of study and personal work. So I think Im taking for granted the amount of time i have. need to stop pussyfooting.

Personal projects are the shiznite.
    "Do the best that you wanna do." -My personal quote.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=35829

Sketchbook Thread. Look at it, rate it, post and crit on it.

Thanks
    I've been trying to do an online comic type thing but I've been distracted
    My Sketchbook
    ^keep me going by visiting my sketchbook^

Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 307 Posts
    Well, it appears that I have an advantage... No game studios or art related jobs to eat up my creative energies.

Actually I have had my share of personal projects that seem to occupy me for brief periods of time where I think "this is gonna be so great! I can already imagine it." That's about as far as I get. Being a full-time student and part-time university events promotion assistant is what pulls me back to reality.

I see myself making a graphic novel too, as it's probably the only medium where you don't have 50 different people with their hands in it, telling you what you should do and which demographics you need to reach. I've had a great idea for the longest time too. Literally about 5 years. It's always changing and revising itself and I've had numerous false starts and redrafts under the idealist pretense that I can make it absolutely perfect if I invest enough time which I never seem to have. It's kind of an all or nothing deal.

Thanks
    Doing a comic series....already mapped out the story, no script...but having too much fun in the conceptual stages of the mechanical designs, armour and weapons. I don't believe I can move into the actual production at all

Also writing a game design plan with some friends.....hopefully one day we'll be able to make a working model and sell it off to the military. ITs a training software actually
    There are 3 sides to every story. Yours, mine and THE TRUTH.

Thanks
    My webcomic (en sig) is about a week or to from being relaunched. I've got an extensive story worked out, and I'm daring to hope that possibly, when it kicks off, it might get enough hits to function as a semi-income through my first couple of years of college. Everything in there isn't very good, it's all pre-CA stuff, but I've been doing t3h Loomis and figuring out t3h Prismas in the months that I've been haitused from it, and the site's almost done. Doesn't look it, but it is. This graphic novel has been going through my head for quite some time now, and it's my primary source of inspiration. I'm hoping to really push the envelope with this thing, and my dream job, my ideal dream job is to be a webcomicker for a living. The ultimate escape from the syndicates; just my own thing. Now wouldn't that be great? I know I'd have to jack the quality way the hell up, but I think it's possible.

Personal Projects???

Thanks
    hey joshua, when can we see some of it? is that where the faded oasis character was from?

i have a bunch of personal projects, but the most important to me is one i'm doing all on my lonesome, a storybook with one illustration per page, set to rhyming verses.

i find that work and personal stuff complement each other very well - i.e. they make each other more fun.

Thanks
    Hm. We'll see how many will do something with there dreams, or perish under the control of companies.

Thanks
    I've always got multiple personal projects on the go, usually game-related. Whether I'm just writing up concept docs, mapping out storylines, sketching out concepts for hypothetical games or just dicking around with RPG Maker, they're all personal projects that may or may not go anywhere.

I'm actually just starting a new one. The idea is still pretty vague inside my head, but it's starting to take form and if I can find the right angle on it it could be killer. I'm pretty excited about it, and if it ever turns into anything worthwhile and not too ambitious I might try to assemble a mod team and build a prototype.

0kelvin
    www.WhereIsMyEyeball.com My portfolio! Go check it out!
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Um, I've had a comic idea in mind now for some 5 years, but obviously, I'm not quite at the level where I would really make anything worth reading were I to try and publish it now. I want to make it so each of the pages are very highly detailed, and painted, etc.

Obviously, I'm not really there yet.

Also, my avatar's one of my characters too. It's the one that's kinda based on me. So obviously he's the baddest ass ever.

Of course, I'm sure that my idea won't get off the ground until I'm like 30, or so.

If you're into storylines with a mythical, sci-fi, religious theme (ie. Constantine, Hellboy) you might like some of my ideas.

I've got a buddy that I've bounced a few ideas off of, but I think that by the time (if ever) I get it off the ground, I'll be the only one to actually complete it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast