Thanks

artists health? who would have thought?

hey i was just wondering if anyone else had these probs.
    ive been kind of stuck in my house for like the last 2 weeks due to shitty..err..inclimate weather, and havent really jogged or ran, so now when i draw i feel slower then normal. i also make more mistakes and forget stuff. does anyone else have these probs when they sit stagnant for a while? well hopefully this shitty weather will clear up and i can run and breath in some fresh chemical packed air. ahhh

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    i donk think the exercise has anything to do with it but i could be wrong, im not an expert on the subject, but sometimes thats how it goes, most people dont run so i dont think running makes u do better in art.
    Nathan Campbells 3 steps to drawing like a pro, 1. Sketch 2. shade. 3. highlights and ur done

Thanks
    running wont make you better at art i think anyways. but thats not the point, its that running is exercise which keeps your body healthy and your brain happy. so I can see the relation between a lack of exercise resulting in poor preformance. I haven't experienced this myself, but then I haven't really thought about it. interesting though
    ~Website~

Please find attached one heart, human, removed from my own chest at great personal hardship. It's for you.

Thanks
    i just ran as an expirement.. for 2 miles on my treadmill. after the run i waited 3-4 minutes while drinking water.after that i picked up my pencil and paper and i started to draw... faster....and things clicked faster... weird.... i was reading this article that said overweight and people who dont exercise have slower reactions. It seems that they suffer from not getting oxygen to their brain as fast as people who exercise... thoughts or reflections?

Thanks
    Body and mind are one. Healthy body will make you feel better, hence you work better. Healthy mind (ie positive interaction with family, loved ones, hobbies, no stress and so on) will also affect your motivation to work out and of course it'll dull your synapses if you feel lethargic and aimless

Works both ways. I work out to keep fit, so I can play the games I enjoy...which in turn keep me happy and healthy so I can work longer without problems

Lets keep running.....or if your knees and ankles hurt you...go swimming.
    There are 3 sides to every story. Yours, mine and THE TRUTH.

Thanks
    point on massacre. this is crit week but its also now officially artist exercise week. put down your croissantts and cigarettes and hit the treadmills. lol i feel naughty saying that

Thanks
    In my opinion, physical training, walking, swimming and so on...
    have direct/indirect effects for your mind!

More oxygen, feeling "better" may be the results,
    the key is do it frequently... it is NOT that way that you
    walking 5 miles and you draw 10% "better".

Another aspect, perhabs a more efficent one is drinking water
    (at least 2 litres daily)...
    sounds too easy but .... it´s proven!
    You become more concentrated, "fresher" and "better"
    Also here the condition from above is necessary.
    And water means water... no juices or softdrinks... just "good" water
    give it a try...

-Xaya

Thanks
    obviously being healthy is better for your body and mind, and therefore your art. also, exercising produces endorphins, which are great.

Thanks
    Frank Thomas and Ollie Johnson (two of the most famous of early Disney animators and stupendous artists in their own right) subscribed to the connection between exercise and more fluid work at the table. They walked several miles a day prior to drawing almost every day. Both born in 1912, Frank just recently passed away.

I certainly notice a difference with art and most other cognitive functions (what few cognitive functions I engage in) when I work out and when I don't (and it doesn't have to be very energetic, just pumpin' the blood around).

Thanks
    good points here
    maybe I should try sports instead of cigarettes and coffee at 1 am :/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,309 Times in 389 Posts
    If you have a block or feel unmotivated, move to another room or something. Just change the enviroment, light or sound. Helps for me.

I've been still for too long now, I basically just wake up, move to the puter chair, move back to the bed. Been doing that for years it seems. Haven't gotten fat yet, but I got tinnitus from neck muscle aches.
    Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.

Thanks
    Strange to say that I produce my best work after intense exercise. I think it may in some way be linked to endorphin release. Hell, when I start slacking in health, so does my art.
    He who asks is a fool for five minutes,
    but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Starting over.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,309 Times in 389 Posts
    I lose all my motoric skills after workout. The muscles get unresponsive and numb. This is an issue to me since I often draw thumbnails which are very small.
    Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Prometheus|ANJ
    I lose all my motoric skills after workout. The muscles get unresponsive and numb. This is an issue to me since I often draw thumbnails which are very small.
    I shake like mad after a workout, so holding a pencil is a little hard to do.
    He who asks is a fool for five minutes,
    but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Starting over.

Thanks
    I started doing exercises a while ago, concentrating on my back and arms. I think arms is important because i don't want my wrists hurting again, had that from playing guitar sometimes. Already helped me a lot after ~ 2 months.
    I also take walks of at least 45 minutes each day & drink a lot.
    I think drawing takes a lot of concentration sometimes, especially if you want to improve. Drawing stuff from my mind is pretty easy, but doing blind contours for an hour takes a big hit on my concentration. Studying folds is impossible for me on a bad day. So i'm trying to improve my general health because i know that on a good day i draw better. Better health = better artist.
    And i need to improve. There's a reason i didn't post art here for a while. I just don't feel like i'm moving on. Getting better takes work, and right now i don't have the power to tackle more complicated work. I'm getting there.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Prometheus|ANJ
    I often draw thumbnails which are very small.
    Like an idiot, I looked down at my left thumbnail and wondered how much smaller does he draw them?

It's really early here in L.A.

Quote Originally Posted by Ancient Kitten
    & drink a lot
    I did this for a long time, but had trouble holding the pencil...

Thanks
    Well yeah, there's drinking and drinking .
    Any way it's either healthy or inspiring. Kind of. Well. You know ... now COME on, CUT ME SOME SLACK here!

Thanks
    I always find a good Guiness stimulates my creativity.
    "If one advances confidently in the direction of
    his dreams, and endeavors to live the life he
    has imagined, he will meet with a success
    unexpected in common hours."
    - H.D. Thoreau