Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks

Is anime a style used in conceptual art?

Can anime be a style in conceptual art? I see tons of games out there that use anime based characters and some semi anime based characters... so can you really use anime in conceptual art or is that a different career (besides an anime artist)

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Sure, anything can be used, just check out all the different pros on the board, they range from pure realism to ultra cartoony. But...learning the basics of /art/ first is the only way to go. Style comes with lots of hard work and practice.
    Dead dog for sale - Skulldog Studio - Sketch Journal

Thanks
    yeah I know I definetely need to learn the basics I was just making sure cuz I see games out there all the time that are anime based and such.

Thanks
    You see a lot of anime in video games because many video games are made in Japan. And the "anime" style, or any predefined style, in my opinion, should not be conciously chosen as a style. "Oh, hey, I'm going to draw an anime picture" doesn't fly with me. A style, in my view, is that unique paradigm of anatomical exaggerations and distortions which the artist devises as part of the artistic vessel to convey their ideas. Not something selected from a list.

Thanks
    Asia has Legions of Anime Artists that will do it for much less. Find your own voice and Limit your number of threads in a day.

-JtJ

-plop.

Thanks
    hehehe Yeah I got carried away.... My main concern is that I live in a small area nowhere near anything really and I cant find anywhere to learn anatomy and life drawing basics

Thanks
    Got a Mirror? Sure you do..go use that, long as you're breathing, you have a live model, yourself.
    Dead dog for sale - Skulldog Studio - Sketch Journal

Thanks
    yes I can do that for the face but the rest of the body is the problem...

Thanks
    This is like your 5th thread in two days.

Anyway, it's all up the the person that an individual artist is contracting with. If they hire you based on your style, and your style is anime-oriented, then yes, an anime style would be evident in the concept art of that given project.

That being said, concept design specifically, which is fully planning out a given character/prop/set, etc, would do better with a style that is not unlike an engineering blueprint, so that the item could be either 3D modelled, or otherwise actually built.

I think that what you're asking here is "Can I get a career doing nothing but anime, because that's all I'm interested in doing right now?"

The answer is maybe. If you're good, and don't just churn out copy after copy of the same DBZ characters day after day.

I'd advise that you ought to begin drawing imagery that more closely resembles life. Draw people, places, understand how to draw something exactly as it appears. What this does is specifically allow you to understand what it takes to get your art to come out how you want it, and how to make your art look like it's a plausibe enough form so that when a viewer sees a completed design in say, a film or a game, they're not left thinking This thing looks too ridiculous to actually exist.

All in all, try not to confine yourself to anime. Also, it's a cultural issue. Western art (that which follows realism) is informed by classical works of the rennaissance, whereas anime is informed by the ancient art of Japan. There is some semblance of realism in this work, but there was a stylization that remained prevalent in various Japanese academic works, until the era of WWI and WWII, after which time Osamu Tezuka's original designs were informed almost exclusively by western animation, and only later by the stylistic elements of classical Japanese works.

That being said (and having nothing to do with your original question) I'd advise that you understand first how to make things look real, and upon learning that style, you'll understand what elements you can leave out, and still have a convinceing design. Until then though, don't prematurely assume that that's all that you need to know, and that's the only skill you need to have in order to convey your intended design.

Thanks
    Perfect answer thank you... Let me just see if I got this right though Basically yes I am interested and anime and its really all I do "now" I could get a job for art of an anime based game but thats just a maybe and I should learn how to draw more realistically like environments and the way things are in real life... am I correct?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JosiahTheFierce
    and I cant find anywhere to learn anatomy and life drawing basics
    http://www.saveloomis.org

Thanks
    JTF- Learn how to draw well and worry about that. Drop the anime crap, as I seriously doubt it will get you a job. Good drawing skills get jobs, bottomline. Anime is gonna be the downfall of a lot of young artists... mark my words. And like everyone is saying, easy with the thread starting. Its cool to ask alot of questions and be interested and shit, but not every question needs a new thread. Sometimes its better to observe what other people are doing and learn from others work. Theres lots of tutorials on the boards use the search function to death.

-tiny
    Being stubborn towards humanity since 1982

Thanks
    Underneath the anime characters are all proper anatomical knowledge. You can't get away from it.

The internet is a brilliant resource. Use it.
    There are 3 sides to every story. Yours, mine and THE TRUTH.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Don't assume that what you want to draw at sixteen is what you'll want to spend your life drawing.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    huzzaah!!
    JosiahTheFierce = (26.47 posts per day)
    hahaaha

anyways, here's the coolest (well, my favorite) anime-styled conceptual artist
    hyung tae kim

Thanks
    Anime style is kinda tiring for me...After a while they all start to look the same.

Thanks
    I've got a friend who can NOT break away from his "anime style." Or rather, eveyone elses. Not only does he suck eternally at it, but all his life he's been surrounded by horrid artsists that praise him. He begins to draw from life, then puts anime spins on it. That defeats the purpose. Anyways, yeah, studios don't look at your anime skill, they look at your life drawing skill.

Thanks
    Denart: Yea Hyung-Tae Kim is great. I'm also in love with this artist:

Point being you can go a lot of different ways with animestyle, it's not all pokemon.

Thanks
    No way is that the guy who does kingdom hearts? And yes I do tend to put an anime spin on things but I dont do the same old dragon ball z crap even though I am gonna have to learn all the anatomy basics

Thanks
    I'm a big fan of haradaya... which is about as overly anime as you can get...but he seems to have alot of fun with his art and designs. He does the nippon ichi stuff, disgaea, phantom brave, etc.

Thanks
    Well Josiah, if your enjoy 'Hellsing' (I think your avator is Alexander Anderson, correct me if I'm wrong) then you know what kind of anime to admire at least.

Thanks
    The link I was givin earlier with the Japanese animish artists. I wanna be realistic and all but I wanna kinda put my own spin on it. Ya know not be anime not be completely realistic... just my style

Thanks
    pffft anime and mang are and were always kind of boring for me....

exept for the work of Hiroaki Samura of course. He has a very interesting mix of realism and stilisation You maybe know his work from "Blade of the Immortal"
    Maybe you should seek google

(not to forget Tsutomo Nihei... )
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilaekae
    "Art is the physical result of your soul battling with your intellect to the death...with a sharp pencil..."
    THE AUSTRIAN SKETCHLORDS
    Baron Carnifex
    Duke Corky

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by corky13
    (not to forget Tsutomo Nihei... )
    OOOOH yeah!! *dribbles a bit*
    -Badger-

Thanks
    Yeah Im not a fan of the dragon ball Z stuff I like hellsing and stuff that gives kinda of an unique style to it. I wanna learn to mix real life with a little anime. Not too much so it looks like another damn cartoon.

Thanks
    well then you should definately take a look at "Blade of the Imortal" (Mugen no Junin)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilaekae
    "Art is the physical result of your soul battling with your intellect to the death...with a sharp pencil..."
    THE AUSTRIAN SKETCHLORDS
    Baron Carnifex
    Duke Corky

Thanks
    Blade of the immortal rocks.
    Also, Akira and ghost in the shell, and ninja scroll, and Paranoia Agent.

I love anime but i do agree with someone up above me. in the future am i really going to want to just be good at anime? I want to learn how to draw realistically as well. Im an animator though so concentrating on art, for story boards and thing, and also programs such as photshop, or toon boom, and Maya and such is hard to do. I'm still trying to find what I want be rightnow im leaning towards modeling and concept art and charecter designes, animation itself whether it be 2d or 3d is 2nd to me. I want to have skill in all the aspects but i cant, and im afraid to try to be, because then i wont be best at one thing but ill be okay at everything. *sigh*

i really dont know where to start
    "One needs a certain humility to learn, arrogance never does good." Chiseledrocks.com article

Thanks
    check out this artist..
    falcoon

Thanks
    I have a feeling Im rushing things anyways Im just gonna learn what I to improve on and just take it from there cuz Im not really sure what Im gonna do there is so many things out there and you cant just be "average" in most of em so Im gonna just try ma best in school and work on the stuff I need to learn.... and that is all I have to say

Thanks
    im myself not a big expert on anime , but people who tend to go over all those awesome japanese artists like "same looking, boring anime stuff " do realy piss me off. Should we then say abstract stuff is all just abstract stuff , realism all just realism ,expressionism is all just expressionism ....its like people who watch Matrix and after they say : oh who made up all that bullshit!?
    I mean even if you are that small minded to say stuff like : oh that anime.. again ? it's boring.. it looks all the same anyways....
    atleast show some respect to artists who can step away from their anime style and own you in any realistic,fantasy,.... drawing anytime.

Now to get actualy on topic. You should concentrate on drawing, once you feel confident enought you'll develope your style , even if in anime direction it will still be personal eventualy , but about working ... wel you'll have to make sure that you come up with original ideas and show enought skill to your future employers

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast