Sketchbook: 16 year old's sketchbook.
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: 16 year old's sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

16 year old's sketchbook.

Last edited by blog; January 17th, 2007 at 02:15 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Welcome to CA!

Out of those 4, I think the monkey is the best. It's smooth and doesn't look scratchy like the other ones... I'd say concentrate more on the piece and less on the color like you did with the monkey sketch.

Post more and draw more!

Ian

Only the heart intrinsically noble can succeed...
    Check out My Sketchbook: Leave critiques, encouragement, and good jokes within.

www.enmls.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I to agree, the photoshop filters on pencil, really don't add anything to them. The monkey proves just how nice they look without editing.

Some interesting stuff here, but it could use more life drawing.

Dead dog for sale - Skulldog Studio - Sketch Journal

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    his right hand is in proportion to his body, his left hand however is not. you were going for foreshortening. for the sake of consistency, if you do decide to do foreshortening, its important to do it to the whole thing. so if his left hand is really close and thus becomes really big, his right hand, which is farther away than the body, the arm should get really really tiny. also, on the right hand, you are seeing the hand from above so you would see the thumb as more horizontal than vertical. theres my 2 yen. welcome dude.
    -A

-A

more than (but i'm getting there)

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos
    Boston Sketchgroup <= Info in post 570
    Monday Nighters: Jushra|Vorp|PartialArtist

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey blog - I saw your post in the Uk thread, so I thought I'd pop by and say hi.

I'm digging the monkey pic and the 2nd to last pic here in blue pencil, the pose on both is dynamic, and i can see what you are trying to get across.
    This is a good start for you geeza, so keep it up.

The Monkey pic - what is that coming from his belt? and whats that behind his head? If its his upper arm, then I'd suggest changin the pose, so you can see the actual hand on the arm going into the background.

The 2nd to last pic - both hands are a bit off. Look at your own hand. Create the pose you want and copy it. Its one way to start getting hands right. They are a pain at first, but once you have the understanding of shape and form, it'll be easy peasey.

I would suggest for now, is to look at comics etc for action poses, and see for yourself the proportions of the figures, with regards to foreshortening and pose etc. I'd also recommend you get yourself an anatomy book, and copy the images from there. Burne Hogarth, Andrew Loomis - www.saveloomis.com you can download the pages from there. Theres male and female figure drawing, proportion, the skeleton etc etc.
    This is will help you to understand the human figure, so you can draw dynamic poses with the right proportions....

Cheers Kid!

Mollyx

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cool hiya

Draw monkeys and you shall always succede. You're off to a nice start here. My favorite is the dark one. That is such a neat effect with the eye shining in the dark, like a searchlight.It's the best concept-wise. The life drawings are good and you got the light and shading down, but if you want it to be really something, try smoothing out the lines. Ya know, make it less shoppy I guess. But hey, like I said, great start. I see you improving already. Keep on keepin on. ~Sio

-Siobhan<><
    Sio's sketchbook #2
    Sio's sketchbook #1

BAM! LookAtThatBaconSizzle!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

hmmmm...good, good.......what is it? A tree?

-Siobhan<><
    Sio's sketchbook #2
    Sio's sketchbook #1

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heya Blog! How are you?

This is looking very good... shading is of a good quality. I think you've got a really good loose style on some of these, but the tighter, more controlled still life work is working well too. How about repeating the still life ones in the more sketchy, free style? Also, try to explore a very small area of an object in a very large scale, so that it becomes more abstract, filling up your page?

Your characters just need refining. Try looking at images in a mirror, so that you can see any areas where scaling goes off a little - thats a great trick to use, because its like having fresh eyes on your own work.

Lets see some more!
    Sam

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you're only 14 and already seeing shadows in the faces in an advanced way. I'm impressed. One thing though...don't be afraid of drawing ears. Ears are very underrated by younger artists but the truth is, they complete the head. You have alot of potential already and will easily be a badass if you keep your current drawing up. Keep up the good work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cool hey hey

Hey blog, my fav so far are the two sketches of the people. That might be your nitch. The rocks on colored paper is cool too. I wanna try that but I ain't got no money to buy colored paper! Keep up the good stuff~~Sio

-Siobhan<><
    Sio's sketchbook #2
    Sio's sketchbook #1

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

nice

Yea, you definitely need to stick with drawing people, it's your strong point. I like the shading and detail, but some of the faces look a little crooked to me, or are they supposed to be that way? it's so hard to really judge art nowadays because an artists intentions can be completely diffferent from your own little thoughts. Anyway, I'm lovin the improvement I see. Do much more~~~Sio

-Siobhan<><
    Sio's sketchbook #2
    Sio's sketchbook #1

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The drawings look a bit skewed but after a few corrections in photoshop I saw that they are really nice. A bit elongated but better than anything I do

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i cry for update!!!!

No man should be less than what he is.
    sketchbook- http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=61756

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    how are yu's blog? I like the last pic very much it has some a rendering going on in the facial area. I do have a crit. I would suggest that you dont immediately commit yourself to the lines that you put down. I would suggest to be soft with the pencil until youre for sure that you want to move. when your loose with the pencil you give yourself sort of an undo privilege. try using a thick paper. for the harsh rendering with those deep Bs. regular paper tends to wrinkle up. A paper that I would recommend that wont fold and bend as easy is Paper for Pens. try a smudge stick instead of your finger. you can control it more and dont have to worry about over smudging or oils from you hand ruining you beautiful work. any way keep up the good work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Siobhan
    Yea, you definitely need to stick with drawing people, it's your strong point.
    sorry siobhan, but i have to disagree (respectfully of course ). while it is of course necessary for blog to work on the things that he/she (which is it?) is good at, to be a complete artist blog should also expand and try to bring the not-as-good stuff on par with the rest of his drawings. its a very painful thing when you work hard to get reeeeeally good at something and then realize that you missed a great opportunity to develop other parts of your art. so try to learn and do as much as you can...its all practice to help you get better.

really like the top left woman on the first posted page of the new sketchbook. she's got that classic look about her...i really like your lines on that one. in general, definitely keep working the shading, work to make your strokes transition well from one shade to the other (where it's needed) to give your shading a gradient feel. don't be afraid to make mistakes; we all do, its called learning. great start here, im interested to see where you go from here. g'luck.

-A

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow 14 and going at it. If you keep it up youll overcome me .

Your observation from life is good. Life drawing is key, set up still life and observe things around you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there,
    I have to say that your Rendering is very, very good.
    You have got some interresting concepts.
    I dont have any crits, cause as I see you are doing a good
    job. Keep at that pace.

and visit my SB too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey blog. These show some cool ideas and thats a good thing.

One thing I would do is get a good instructional book like loomis, bridgman and learn what you can from them. They can teach you proper construction and much more. What you learn from life will improve your drawings as well. Observe yourself in front of the mirror, a friend, strangers. Set up a still life. Practice practice .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your getting better at faces, your value is pretty solid. Your ideas are neat, but your composition quality needs work. You ahve to find that balance. And have you had any formal art trainging? I wasn't told to draw from life until the beginning of this school year, so I got a big snag from where I'd like to be. But how much art experience have you had?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Wink

Heh heh, your expressions are priceless!

-Siobhan<><
    Sio's sketchbook #2
    Sio's sketchbook #1

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey dude.

you say you havent got enough time. just wanted to let you know from experience (and everybody, please let me know if im wrong) that itll take longer to get where you want to be if you dont take the time to study and stuff. and it doesnt have to be long. even just like, for warmup for drawing other stuff, even one study drawing a session will help. i never used to do studies (especially anatomy), but since i started my drawing has improved so much over what it used to be. so all im saying is, think about it.
    well, thats my 2 yen. have a great day dude; g'luck with drawing. and life too.

-A

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have to agree with endregan about the anatomy books. Even if you feel you haven't got time to set aside specifically for it, get one. Then either look at it when you're bored or put in the bathroom to read when you're occupied. You've got a really good intuitive sense of anatomy, but intuition can only get you so far, and the longer you rely on it, the harder it is going to be to break from it. You're showing so much amazing potential, take it and run.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there is ALWAYS time. Even if you work full time. ESPECIALLY if you dont. Make time, I guarantee youll find some.There is a way, even if it isnt as often as you would like. ITs like anything. You go to school to do something you will do the rest of your life. You got to get through the hard part to get to the good part!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,171 Times in 468 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    nice and interesting stuff !

will drop by again !

cheers !

-----------------------------------------------------------
    BJÍRN HURRI | CONCEPT ARTIST & ILLUSTRATOR

MY PORTFOLIO | HURRICANES DAILY DOODLES '12
    MY EXCLUSIVE SKETCHBOOK
    VIKING: BATTLE FOR ASGARD
    TWITTER
    THE OTHER BROTHERS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh, i like that last one very much - just my kind of stuff! Very nice feel in it and well drawn - i really dig that black nose Only crits - upperlib is a little too straight (maybe you entended that?) and the ear is a little low - small time stuff from a nerd(me)
    NIce work and hope to se more!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

the most delinquent piece

"but your composition quality needs work."

Your color choices I felt were not vibrant enough and it seems that you have no concept of the nub color wheel that I learned about in like 2nd grade. Remember like red and blue and stuff? you're bad lol ?^^?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    np dude and thanks for the nice words about my art
    I see alot of good stuff in here - your pencil work is really strong and shows a lot of promise. The small anatomy flaws - we all have them and it just takes hard work and open eyes to deal with that -its something we cant avoid if we want the stuff to be really good!
    Good luck dude!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey great to see you sketching.

One thing I would do some more of is learn a little construction. Your rendering is not bad, but I think your drawings would benefit a lot more from that good ol construction knowledge...

keep er up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    One thing I would do some more of is learn a little construction. Your rendering is not bad, but I think your drawings would benefit a lot more from that good ol construction knowledge...

Hey Blog endegran has a really strong point about learning the basics of construction. It something that eveyone needs when drawing and wanting to progress. You are really good rendering with the pencil, but I feel your anatomy (like all of us) could use some work. I think with a few anatomy books, your work drastically improve.

Again, great work, and keep it up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    interesting style with the noses, but i don't think you're quite there with the facial proportions yet, especially the mouth in the second portrait. Also maybe try some full figure stuff if you get the chance.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.