Art: Dune Messiah

View testimonialsView Artwork

Thread: Dune Messiah

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Dune Messiah

hey friends. this is my first uneatpoo post in a long time, not to mention my very first post on conceptart (well, to my knowledge at least). My name is tom rhodes, and im just about done my first year at the alberta college of art. same as everyone, ive been drawing since 5 or so, and i like it a lot. i thought there may be a large dune following here. its an amazing series, and theres a lot of scifi stuff here, so i thought it may be appropriate to show this to you guys.

i rented david lynch's Dune movie last night. it didnt fill me like i wouldve liked, so i came downstairs, put on the Toto, and went to town. The final image came out a lot different than what i planned. well... i didn't plan it, but i forced-evolutioned it as i went. i made it a possible book cover for the second book, Dune Messiah. i really recommend the series. well, here ya go! i hope you like it

Dune Messiah
    details: 1 2

thanks!

:b:

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not too bad Tom. His right forearm is a little too short, and his shoulders look funny. They're hunched forward, and his neck doesn't line up right with them. I like the BG alot though. Some orangish highlights on his face would be nice too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    killer colors! I also really like how some bits stand out alot and others fade into eachother. very nice work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like how you've stylized the figure here. Looks really good. There are a few anatomy issues, but nothing serious. Maybe draw the hand at the bottom? You've done a good job on the one holding the knife.. I think it could add a lot.

The only thing I'm not so sure about are the swirly bits and the text. Stylistically, they work, but they distract the attention from the figure, which I think is the most interesting part. If it's a book cover, obviously the title has to feature prominently, but I'm not sure about the yellow. Maybe darkening the swirls to a colour the same as the top of the background, but a couple shades darker, and make the text red? Then add some highlighting around the man's face and the knife.

Art is long and time is fleeting

Sketchbook
    Website

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool... As has been mentioned your anatomy is a little off around the shoulders and arms but I like the style.

~S

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice one tom.. anatomy issues don't usually bother me too much but they hold this image back a little bit. sweet page design!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those links aren't working. Can you put the images into the post?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    linky no worky?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    tom of eatpoo has posted on CA?... i just called hell, sounds like blizzards have been forecasted for the next 3 years

but anyways, yea the links don't work

btw: i love that avatar, all hail the freaking monkey haha

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for the critiques guys. i had already fiddled with the tons and CTRL+M's of the lines so its too late to go back, but i agree with the anatomy issues. when i was about half way done i knew it would never be perfect. i had put too much time into it, and it lost its "flow". the arm on the left is actually just a random sketch that was done on the side and i just thought it would look better (dynamically/functionally) on the figure so i threw it in. you COULD say, if you wanted to bend the truth a little, that this is more of just a place holder for a more finalized version, but i like it how it is, and i dont think ill make any changes. i will definitely keep a keener watch for pieces in the future, and im glad you guys pointed things out.

and yes, i was shocked too that i finally caved to post here on CA. i have my reasons, though.

thanks guys!

(man you're formal here)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that drawing is the tits. as much flash and stylish bits as you've got going on here, the core drawing is fantastic, and that's the most important thing. great characterization aswell.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think anatomy of work well, onley seem that neck is missing. Also if you want to make an ilustration of a book make it more recognisebile (this word exist?) I dont have read the book but think that is some SF? Yours cover look like aladin or something.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Actually, I don't really see all the problems people are seeing with anatomy here. It just looks stylized to me. When stylization starts looking uncomfortable then it's probably an issue with anatomy. His shoulders just look hunched to me.

Dune is my absolute favorite SF series. You know, I'd love to do a graphic novel of it. maybe we could collaborate a bit just to try it out?

-=GB=-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh Sh*t, I just checked out you and your brothers site... I've just been emasculated! I'm no where near the talent there. Anyway, I would still love to see some more Dune stuff from you.

-=GB=-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    psh, your overrated

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hope you don't mind me posting this here in your thread but I thought it was relevant. Paul's knife fight with Jamus... I think that was his name. He's just a kid here.

Dune Messiah

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So trhe Rhodes bros are gonna tag team CA...

Welcome dude...don't be a stranger..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tom, as im not allowed to post on eatpoo, i can post here! Man, definatly smooth stuff, the colors, the stylization, really cool. Im off to ACAD next year, mabye see u then, ta ta.

my gallery

Member: Team Insect Battle X-Treme ( scorpion squad, mutated monstrosity platoon)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    neat. don't hesitate to post your sketchbook stuff, too. i've seen it in the poo and it's plain awesome.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is a great drawing,

but a very weak cover concept.

- the pose is very ambiguous. I can't really get an idea of what emotional state he is in. And I'm not sure what he's doing with that knife.

- the layout is weak and off balance. Your figure and the swirls around him don't work with the text you've layed out. In fact they compete to some extent.

I'm sure this was a fun peice, and I don't want to crap on your parade. I'm glad you posted this, and I think you have mad skills. I also want to be constructive and give you some ideas on how I think you could improve.( my way of saying thanks).

thanks,

riq.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.