Art: Giant Double Sided Curved Painting...Wowza!
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Giant Double Sided Curved Painting...Wowza!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Giant Double Sided Curved Painting...Wowza!

So I finished my AP portfolio and decided to spend the rest of the year just doing giant stuff. This is a week's worth of work, making the frame and all. All I gotta do is add the base so it can support itself.

It's kind hard imagining where it would be placed. It doesn't hang on a wall, or lean against or anything, it has two sides, and it's quite large. Here goes.

Any crits would be sweet, I'm happy with it, but anything I can do to make it better is all the better.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm...they're really nice paintings, but I would have liked to see something different done with the front side. Something that uses the curve of the surface as part of the art. On the back, you have a nice sky scene that wraps up and above the viewer, much like the real sky does. I think that's working nice. On the other side I think I would have liked to have seen maybe a waterfall or something come cascading over the curved surface. Otherwise, right now, it just seems like a painting on an otherwise pointless curved surface. (Hope you don't take offense at that, it's just my personal opinion. ).

Ahhh...now I see that the entire scene wraps around...didn't quite catch that at first. Hmm...in keeping with that theme, I'm not quite sure what you could put on the front to take advantage of the curve...but I'd still love to see something attempted in that veign.

One thing I notice about the front (and this may be due to the construction used and/or the way it's photographed) but the large sphere of the sun(?) shows up as two colors in the first image...it makes it appear, at first glance, to be a sort of sunset over the ocean until you notice it breaking through the clouds. Then I begin to wonder where the sun really is...I don't get much of a sense of the sun actually being there.

Meh, take it for what it's worth. I'm still digging it overall. I think given the painting itself I would have preferred a flat surface though.

"Every generation sees the past though the lens of its own time." - Thom Hartmann

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    fukifino - thanks man. The original idea was just the back side, the night sky, but my teacher suggested I do both sides. I wasn't fully prepared with another idea for the day side. So yeah, it's actually not supposed to be two sided.

Yeah it's the sun, and due to the construction and the photography, it makes it look like two different colors, it's only one.

The horizon line is close to the bottom.

Overall thanks for the comment, I feel loved.

Last edited by HugeHarHar; April 15th, 2005 at 09:51 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.