Thanks

Ralph McQuarrie.

Is anyone familiar with Ralph McQuarrie ? He was one of the leading conceptual artists for Star Wars, and whether you like Star Wars or not, his work is ,well, fantastic. I was wondering how he does his paintings and more importantly what materials he uses. If anyone knows, any help would be appreciated.

Click here if you want to see some of his images.

PS. If this post is in the wrong place I'm sorry because I couldn't figure out where exactly to post it.
    But thanks again if you can help.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Ralph McQuarrie is awesome. I've got the Illustrated Star Wars Universe, which is illutrated with concept sketches and painting of his. He does in fact rock.

Thanks
    I wonder what Star Wars would have looked like without McQuarrie's artwork? Sure there were others that had their hand in the look of the movie, but he’s like the main guy when it came to the look, next to Lucas that is. That guy has to be the Muhammad Ali of concept artists. He also worked on E.T., Raiders of the Lost Ark, and Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind. I couldn't imagine what those films I grew up on as a kid would look like without his artwork. It's unthinkable. I also got the book "The Illustrated Star Wars Universe". It's a great book to have, not only the artwork, but has great stories to go with the artwork. Another book I would recommend would be "Star Wars: The Art of Dave Dorman. He did a lot of comic book and novel covers and I love his work as well. His is more of an art book and goes more in drawing technique and stuff like that. Two other books I would also recommend would be 'The Art of Star Wars" (want to get the rest in the series) and "Star Wars: The Magic of Myth". I really enjoyed the Magic of Myth. It goes into the philosophy and mythology Lucas got for the characters and story of his saga. All of these are chunked full of artwork and ideas. Anything Star Wars has great concepts and visuals. It takes great artists to come up with all those ideas.

Here's a small biography on him if anyone is interested.
    -Brad Cossey

The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.

Thanks
    On a side note, did anyone see any of his Trek stuff? He did some work on "Star Trek II", that project that tanked, and some of his stuff consited of possible Enterprise designs. Some were really weird.