Thanks

Any pro comic book artists here?

Hi, I'd just like to know how it is to work at companies like Marvel or DC.

Is it a friendly environment? Or is it stressful and over-competitive?

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    im sure all the above.....

Thanks
    Well, I'm not a pro comic artist yet , but I'm not sure I understand the question really. Most comic artists work from home or a private studio, and most of the contact with the company, usually the editor/writer/etc., would be by phone or maybe email. So there's not much of an environment that I can think of. Any stress would likely come in the form of deadlines though. But as long as you do reliable, consistent work, on time, I don't think you'd have many problems.

You might try asking at PencilJack, Ledheavy, or Artxilla since those are more comic-related forums. There are a few people here who've done pro work, but I think they're usually either with smaller publishers or with Image and the like.

Edit: But then again maybe I don't know what I'm talking about.

Thanks
    Artists on Comic Art

Each artist profiled details their history, their big break, their work methods, and their general over-all impression about the comic book industry. Very interesting and educational read.

Thanks
    oh.......

I always assumed that all artists at Marvel or DC worked in the same building hehe.

thanks

Thanks
    Never posted here before occasional lurker but couldn't help it then I saw this question.

I've interned at both companies and worked as an assistant editor in one of them. It's extremely competitive. I've seen submissions that were technically perfect but were thrown out or never given a callback (filed away but never to be pulled again). It takes more than skill to get noticed.

I know you've probably seen a lot of crap out there and wondered I can do better than that! Well it's true bad art is often published but these people who were given chances were either A) Was good at networking B) Was persistent B) Developed a good relationship with editors C) Was prompt, polite and likeable D) Had a kickass portfolio E) Kept their deadlines F) Was very very lucky.

As for stressful it could be. I've seen artists burn out and they were just starting out. But it all matters on how you handle the situation. Editors can give you an assignment and not call you back for months. And when they do they might ask you to do an emergency issue on a crappy story in two weeks. Or they might give you a sweet assignment but keep on asking you to make readjustments over and over again. Believe me most editors don't want to do this to artists but it happens nevertheless.

I hope I haven't rambled too much and painted too gray of a picture. But if you have the talent,drive and patience you can succeed in comics.
    Last edited by Protokitty; March 27th, 2005 at 02:57 AM.

Thanks
    Here is a link for DC's guidelines for submissions. There is also a nice short Quicktime movie of DC's Dan DiDio (VP-Executive Editor) talking about what they look for when reviewing portfolios and what it's like to be a comic pro. I think your best bet is to talk to people at conventions to get a feel for what the industry is really like.

http://www.dccomics.com/about/submissions.html

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.