updated: input desired on composition and color scheme

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Last edited by Grizz; March 24th, 2005 at 05:08 PM.
    The pencil is but an extension of your body.[I]
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've got a couple tricks which might help you with color. I use painter which displays it's colors as a circle covering the spectrum and then a triangle inside that which covers individual variations between colors.

Other programs aren't identical of course, but they usually have a similar interface. If you choose only a few differant positions within the triangle and pull most of your color variations from the color wheel You'll get colors that are harmonious. I'd say stick with one spot within the triangle and just go around the circle. But sometimes you just need a differant shade of color.

I had an art teacher once tell me that the best way to acheive shadow is to mix two harmonious colors from opposite ends of the spectrum. So in theory if you've got orange you go to the opposite end of the wheel by exactly fifty percent and you've got the ultimate color to add as shadow. This doesn't work nearly as well digitally as it does with pastels on paper.

Another trick is to use photoshop. Create a duplicate layer, set it to soft light, and then edit the gradient map of that layer. photoshop has all sorts of harmonious gradient maps. So even if you've composed your image of totally unharmonious colors you can just slap a soft light gradient map copy ontop of it and make things a bit more sublime.

I'm an english teacher and not a pro artist, but I used the blue/orange gradient on this one and it prettied things right up.

http://www.madmodpoetgod.com/gallery...280x800?full=1

and yeah, that drawing of mine features one of the worst hands ever.

These next two go to show you the variety of looks you can get from screwing with duplicate layer gradient maps set to soft light.

astroboys:
    http://www.madmodpoetgod.com/mt/mmpg/all1280.html

chihoohoos
    http://www.madmodpoetgod.com/mt/mmpg/allbig1280b.html

As far as composition goes, they say that little kids have the best sense of that. You look at their drawings, and if you remove one element it all goes to crap. The feeling of completeness is gone. That's a "drawing from the right side of the brain" kind of thing. It's a book. You could pick it up. Though I don't know how much credit the pros around here would give it.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face

There is not much interesting happening below the hands which puts everything too high in the picture. The picture is almost perfectly symmetrical which can be effective sometimes but mostly makes it look static. Make the dark parts different size and think of them as weights on a scale. As long as they have equal wieght on each side you should be ok. Not my best area so anyone else feel free to correct me.

Like so (sorry for overdoing explanation):

About color: All color theory can be found on the web. A tip though would be to but a base color in one layer (assuming you use photoshop) and another color to complement in another layer. Use Hue/Saturation (ctrl-u) to find a combo that pleases you.

Edit: Boy does my tip seem redundant now that joseph beat me to it with better ones..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah, i agree with carnalizer on the composition.

i think the problem is that it's too symmetrical both vertically and horizontally. i would like to see the figure brought closer to the bottom edge so there's more space above than below.

i think it's also a matter of intention. what's the reason for the placement of the figure now? is there one? should there be? if so, is it coming through clearly or not? these are all questions you should be asking yourself in the earliest stages.

Hey dog. . . . did you see the size of that chicken?!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The advice is much appreciated. I do use photoshop and I just got paint shop pro 8, so i've been messing around with that. composing pictures has never been a strong point for me, but I'll keep at it. I'll keep posting my progress, and if you know anyone else who could give additional help feel free to send em here. the explanations and links were very helpful. now i hope i do them justice.

The pencil is but an extension of your body.[I]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry but i gotta say! Nice hands!!
    -Badger-

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.