Art: Prismacolor Markers, Spray Fixative, and the fumes

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Prismacolor Markers, Spray Fixative, and the fumes

Wow. I just snatched up a pack of Primsacolor markers for 50% off (!) and started working with them. Bam, after like five minutes I am getting buzzed. Now that's all fine and dandy, but I have other stuff to do and trying to get work done in a foggy minded state isn't really in my best interests.

I have no idea if I just lean in too close or I just inahle too much; honestly I can't imagine anyone working with these for more like 10 min bursts, even then my page reeks of the stuff.

On the same topic, after slapping fixative down on my sketch book it stinks of fumes; it's hard to keep it in the same room as me without going light headed.

I just need some advice here, come on, for the sake of my brain cells

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Lightbulb

Does your room have a window?
    If so, can you open it?
    Failing that, work outside, if that's an option. Ventilation is key!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fixative is toxic. Don't spray it in a room if you're to stay in the room before it's all ventilated out. Even if the room has good ventilation don't stay in the room until its all ventilated out. I usually spray outside or go to a room no one is using open the windows then spray and make sure to close the door after me. Better safe than sorry.

You could use hairspray instead for you sketchbook stuff. Remember that some hairspray types/brands makes the pages yellow some of the reason is e.g that their ph is acid.

My sketchbook flawed to the max page 5
    Ps:Hope you understand my English.
    Remember my advices taste best with a grain of salt.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by MoP
    Does your room have a window?
    If so, can you open it?
    Failing that, work outside, if that's an option. Ventilation is key!
    Definetly better then before, but the entire sketch book is still enshrouded by an aura of fumes from the spray fixative (i think i proably did too many pages in one go or something)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just wear one of those fume mask things you can get at the hardware store. Works for me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ColdKodiak
    I just wear one of those fume mask things you can get at the hardware store. Works for me.
    is that while working with markers or while spraying fixative?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Mindflaw
    Fixative is toxic. Don't spray it in a room if you're to stay in the room before it's all ventilated out. Even if the room has good ventilation don't stay in the room until its all ventilated out. I usually spray outside or go to a room no one is using open the windows then spray and make sure to close the door after me. Better safe than sorry.

You could use hairspray instead for you sketchbook stuff. Remember that some hairspray types/brands makes the pages yellow some of the reason is e.g that their ph is acid.
    I always spray anthing outside. The smell just remains on the actuall sketch book, which makes it a pain to work on. Sorry if that was unclear.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,679 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Always spray fixative outside, or in a room with an exhaust fan if you absolutely MUST be inside. Also, remember it really only takes a light dusting to fix a drawing. If you're saturating the paper, you're using way too much.

Try out different brands of fixative, some may bother you less than others. Hairspray will work in a pinch, but most of them have perfumes in them, which will linger long after any solvent smell would have dissapated. They also will probably yellow, and some can stay sticky.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Thanked 16,679 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by gray_
    I always spray anthing outside. The smell just remains on the actuall sketch book, which makes it a pain to work on. Sorry if that was unclear.
    I never fix my sketchbooks. My sketches are mostly linework, and any minimal smearing doesn't bother me.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell
    I never fix my sketchbooks. My sketches are mostly linework, and any minimal smearing doesn't bother me.
    For some reason my pages of sketches get really messy, no matter how simple (read: little to no rendering) i use, the graphite still manages to fade out. I think I am not going to do it again, I just wanted to preserve my older pages.

Thanks for all the help, keeping a window open as well as running a fan helped a lot. I had no idea that Prismacolor markers would smell so damn strong.

I'll try to throw up some of my sketch pages with prismas

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.