Page 40 of 101 FirstFirst ... 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 90 ... LastLast

Thread: GreenSock's Sketchbook Diarrhea

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sock
    Bought a moleskine sketchbook (gonna look into a plain one next, how is it for drawing and light wash work?), and damn if the paper isnt the fanciest shit Ive ever made marks on. Think Im gonna go through this one fast, might buy another one for Montreal, maybe a plain one or a watercolour one.
    but i. thought. we. you, me, KC. had. something... special...
    runs away crying

seriously, excellent work nik... way to bust through the huge book with leaps and bounds. keep it up fiend!
    joel
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    (I'm in fo' montreal biznatch)

ROCK OUT WIT YO MOLESKIN SELF! SEEYA THERE

Thanks
    Hey man. It's so ipmressive just the volume of stuff you are doing. You can really tell it pays off. SPs are coming along great. My one crit from the top of my head, is that a lot of the stuff you paint lacks a bit of pizaz because IMO the colours are kind of muted or pastelish I guess. I don't know my colour theory yet, so I don't really know the terminology. But, just for my personal taste, I would go for some more vibrant colours that really make the stuff pop. Can't wait to chill in Montreal man, I am so stoked.

Sanby

Thanks
    Mr. Prolific!

Lots of nice stuff, I like the subway sketches. The looseness and mixing the color and the black and white. Could really see a nice style developing with that.

Great stuff!

Thanks
    That SP is AWESOME!!!
    That was the sort of thing I was talking about. Some more prolonged work, that is, as a counterweight to the quick scetches.
    This Sp, as you said, is a bit overworked, but what bothers me more are those blue BG strokes at the side. They are really harsh and destroy a good deal of the picture I'd say.
    Most other stuff is a pleasure to look at as you're stil improving a lot (you /$*§"! )
    My favourites are the subscetches on toned paper.
    One mistake I'v been doing at times in recent past too, is to use Watercolours thickly and dark. One can't use whiteout in Watercolours and if one wants to use colour thickly, one could use guache or acrylics or whatever samewise. Watercolours have the advantage to be able to make a picture look airy and smooth. Tacke this watercolour by Turner for example, notice ho lightly he aplies colour at places and what effect it produces.
    Anyways....
    So long....

Thanks
    That goauche SP is brilliant, Greeny. You really a nice essence of yourself there. And what's up with this MoleSkin business? I guess you figured out that I really AM cooler than you. You followed the pack. Good for you. Now give me all your lunch money. Heh. Just kidding. I don't know what else to say. You're doin' loads of work as usual. I wish you'd slow down and do a finished piece or two tho. I'm trying to make myself work on more finished work these days. Give 'er a go. I bet you could church out some pretty nice stuff. Anyhow. Almost time for MTL. Getting a portfolio together? I'm tryin'. But it ain't easy. Most of the stuff I have either sucks or doesn't apply. Oh well. I'll throw something together. Take it easy, Nik.

Thanks
    Wee, found some spare time to get some scanning time, just past the ol weekly deadline
    Schools hell, not much done, although Ive been keepin very busy in my watercolour scrapbook, which is great
    Mostly work in class, with some other work in between.
    Working in multiple sketchbooks (moleskine, watercolour scrapbook, medium-sized rough paper one for life drawing, and going back to the occassional unfinished/mostly blank page in the biggie) is making it hard to keep track of everything in order, so heres the update organized as well as I could...

OC self portrait
    GreenSock's Sketchbook Diarrhea
    oc doodle
    nother OC one

Pages from the moleskine... Doing lots of experimentation, the paper can take so much punishment! The white stripes across each page was my scanner coughin up blood. Think I got it fixed now though.

Life drawing!
    Took each small page from my scrapbook and used it for 2 minute watercolour gestures which kicked total ass, gonna do it again this week. All are just a bit smaller than actual size...
    Last edited by SirGreenSock; October 2nd, 2009 at 09:32 AM.
    Nikola Odic
    sketchbook
    site
    you got them purty lips, boy

Thanks
    Longer studies, 5-15 min each

afterward did some digital life drawings (once again in OC, sticking to its simplicity at this time)
    spent too much time on the head here, body got neglected...
    forcing myself to use a 5pt brush the whole way through, hurt quite a bit actually...
    quick oc sketch of one of the artists there

More work from the wc scrapbook, all are about actual size, great fun was had by all!
    sp
    on the subway
    extreme closeup of bottle of beer
    nother sp
    quick study of my mouth, timed how long something like this takes me, took 6 minutes...
    sketching
    more
    portrait of a friend
    a classmate's nose
    doodle
    minimal sketch of a teacher
    classmate
    sketch based on teacher's profile

random sketch page during art class

1 hour watercolour study for a family friend. In retrospect, should have taken longer to measure and construct, but time was very very restricted...

and to round it all off, an OC sp from a minute ago...

replies!!!!! Thank you all for the continual support!

Zord - Hehe thanks, bring the pantzorz to Montreal and we'll all sketch on em, Im sure we can find fabric markers somewhere, make ourselves some DOOM PANTALOONS(tm)!! Yes moleskines are fun. That is all. :]

WolfBane - Thanks a lot man, dig the work you've been doing in your book, too!

Theo - haha well watercolour can be easy if you dont know jack about it and just go straight into it. Good luck to ya!

kingcoyote -IM SORRY!!! I am less of a man than you and have succumbed to peer pressure! FATTY MADE ME DO IT I SWEAR!! Glad you like the watercolour, I still have so much to figure out and learn, think im finally unto something with this update. #200 was done right before school (right right no excuses) honestly though Im experimenting with different techniques, the shadow scribble crap is one for the garbage bin :] Thanks, the fire extinguisher was more work than it was worth... Oh and thanks for the page bump, you more than deserve the top spot advertising! :]

archipelago - Thanks, but neither of my brothers cares for anything other than LOOKING at pretty pictures the bastards. But thats alright, I always have the open threat of drawing them doing explicit things to lower apes. Yeah, the moleskine is great, especially after the huge book, makes me appreciate the tight space a lot more, think in terms of composition and such, try it out!

Qxzi - Hey thanks! Good observation skills are key, youre quite ahead of me in that department I think, I gotta learn some patience. Focusing on the eye on that sp was one of the aims in trying to observe closely, so its good its noticable.

TheGnoll - Thanks for the crit, gonna try it out. Its tough with watercolour, but I'll figure it out. SPs are great for me at least, I find its good to have a routine to get you drawing something even when you really dont feel like it, plus its a good focus point to watch improvement and experiment while being able to focus on the medium instead of the subject (seeing as Ive drawn myself 210 times by now i have less and less concern for likeness and am free to experiment more)

guggenmaneuver - Sorry guggen, it never would have worked out, zebz's pure manliness blinded me astray!

Pixeldragoon - Hehe see ya there man, bring a spare book so i have somethin to tear into! :]

Sanby - Hey san, thanks for the crit! Don't know if I agree all the way though. Getting rid of the pastel is something ive been working on, on and off, especially in my digis. Although looking back at the traditional stuff Ive been getting real muted. Think what Im missing in both cases is the contrast between muted and bright colours, gotta pay attention to that. Thanks!

Artguy - Thanks a lot! I'm very interested in how the style develops, too. Also gotta see how well it goes beyond the moleskine. Thanks for checking back again.

blacky - Hey thanks, glad you like that sp. One of my favorites, too, although maybe a bit too overworked with the pen. You're right on the blue, too, can't even remember why i put it there, flattens the whole bastard
    I think I know what you mean on the watercolours. Im still very new to the medium, experimenting on my own and trying to learn (handn't had anyone teach me how to handle the medium, dos and dont and such). I think Im closer yo what you mean with this update's watercolours.But I also like watercolours that show layering and buildup (although not as much as my stuff) like some of Sargent's watercolour portraits. The transparency actually makes it feel like skin, much in the way glazing does for oils. As I said, still experimenting (on REAL paper now, thank you very much :] ) hopefully I'll figure it out soon enough.

ZebzFree - You're right zebz, i submit to the peer pressure. Can i be cool now too? :] Again with the slowdown business, well fine, did some slower ones this time around. Gonna really try and finish some chows or cows in the next 3 weeks, gotta get some shit down for Montreal. Also joined the last man standing TD, which should be DAMN fucking hardcore to pushing me into REAL work. Trying to assemble a portfolio, yeah, kinda hard with so many final projects for school (ALL DUE June 6th and 7th since Im missing the last week of school for Montreal) being total bitches with my time management (something i was never good at to begin with). If nothing else, I'll have a few finished pieces and a sketchbook (or two, or three :]) to just get some damn serious crits down.
    Last edited by SirGreenSock; October 2nd, 2009 at 09:32 AM.
    Nikola Odic
    sketchbook
    site
    you got them purty lips, boy

Thanks
    NIK MAN, your updates are always killers... cereal killers. This shit would make Tony the Tiger proud. I always love the experimental pages the most, I TOLD YOU MOLESKINES ROCKSAUCE. There are never crits from me other than that I'd like to see more finished pages. Where they at?! And the pants that I patched up... i'm still wearing'em. Dunno how much longer they'll last though. But MONTREAL IS SO SOON I CAN TASTE THE SWEET CANADIAN AIR.

Thanks
    tasty, tasty, tasty

That is all....

Thanks
    Only real crit, and I've noticed this for a while now, is that you have a tendency to make the mouths a bit too small and high up. Maybe do some studies (www.characterdesigns.com) In the photo section, they have like 4 pages of high res faces from different angles. I know life is better, but sometimes you just need a model that can sit still, y'know?

Killer stuff as youzhull

Thanks
    Mr Sock

One of the things I really enjoy about you is your (apparent) fearlessness... So many of us seem to have the ol' art tiger by the tail, and don't know what we're gonna do with him... On the other hand, you've bitten his balls off, and are teaching him to juggle them! Somebody sent me this picture in an e-mail recently, and I immediately thought of you...

Before too long, you'll have that (rediculous) moleskin filled up, and we can leave that whole debacle behind us... No worries man.

The watercolors are coming along! This is what I was talking about, you take a new medium and just run with it, accepting the fact that a lot of it will be crap at first and pushing through to some really solid stuff...

Lovely study. I like how you used some greens in her skin tones. People just don't seem to appreciate how much green is in our skin... This kind of painting is fairly difficult (I use too much water usually, so it all bleeds together... ) and your crisp edges are working really well with the more "wet in wet" softness in the interior. I know this was just a quick study, but she's looking a little muddy in the face... Keep an eye on that. Watercolor gets overworked really easily.

Damn! Did she get her ass kicked just before class? Ha-ha! Seriously, though. This is kind of what I was talking about... Watercolor works differently from other types of paint (duh). I don't want to give you the wrong impression about this painting, because it really is very good, but it seems like you're trying to lay in the forms etc as if it's acrylic (or OC), and it just doesn't work that way... Let the water and color do some of the work for you. If you lay down a base color, and then put small additions of color in it, cappilary action and gravity will do a lot of the work of moving that color around... Pushing it with your brush just makes everything all muddy. Pick up your paper and turn it so it's perpendicular to the ground, and rotate it so that the pigment moves... you can get a lot of control this way, and get much more subtle gradiations.

The eyes here are just lovely... Maybe work some blues into your hair (I'm a big fan of prussian blue... Mix it with burnt umber, and you get a fantastic dard brown/black) A little green in the face would look pretty too.

This guy is working really well... Actually, this is a beautiful little portrait.

Great work as usual man... I also really liked the new fire extinguisher portrait... Flippin' sweet!

Take care
    Your friend
    KC
    You can choose to use your powers for good... or you can use them for AWESOME!

check out my sketchbook!
    100 in 100 Days
    Red Herring Illustration

Thanks
    If you call this Diarrhea, the I'll gladly have a glass of it.
    Your sketchbooks are great mate.

And I love your latest wc's.
    Keep posting your works.
    The forest fight for sunlight, that takes root in every tree.
    -genesis

Page 40 of 101 FirstFirst ... 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 90 ... LastLast