Page 38 of 101 FirstFirst ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 88 ... LastLast

Thread: GreenSock's Sketchbook Diarrhea

Thanks
    zomg
    so much to say here GAH, but Ill start with the main things, If you call that life session rusty, then Im definently looking forward to the next one where you say you did better, because the ones you did there are excellent!
    Your faces from imagination are very diverce, so all those class/sub sketches you are doing are really paying off!
    Id like to see you do more detailed stuff from imagination though, or are you doing that with the WIPs youre going to post?

And two questions here for you too
    Whats that triangle thing? Ive never heard of it before, where can I read up on it?
    And how do you build your faces both from life and imagination? from a gesture I suspect?

But yeah dude, looking forward to that next update of course, thanks for the well needed inspiration boost! keep it coming!!

Oh and I love this one in all its simplicity: http://www.projectsole.ca/gallery/al...cs/may0638.jpg http://www.projectsole.ca/gallery/al...cs/may0638.jpg
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    nik!!!! i've been waiting for the cA sketches!!! wouldn't it be nuts if all the cA illustrators ended up in the same class?? uh.. i better start getting my draw on to catch up to you! how many pages do you do a day? i'll double it! muahahaha... see ya around, dude

Thanks
    ps. i lurrrrrrrve the sketchbook cover!! soooo gooood!

Thanks
    BLAAA almost done scanning EVERYTHING. jeez i gotta update more often to lessen the scanning load, scanning, stitching, uploading and now updating is taking 3 freaking hours....
    Yes, so lotsa more work posted, everything but the wips which i wanna polish up before rescanning.
    Its kinda scary, because looking at the work from last week (previous update) and work that I've been scanning now, Im noticing major differences in the way ive been looking and making marks...
    the work, continuing where i left off last time:
    subway
    GreenSock's Sketchbook Diarrhea
    Second life drawing session. Although the work isnt that much better than last time, I felt far more confident. Usually I reserve watercolour and pen for later poses when i feel warmed up, but this time i felt like I could go straight into any medium.. Got lots of proportional errors this time around though, gotta get it right first before starting to render...
    2 minutes
    watercolour gestures felt great, gonna try em more often...
    5 minutes
    on break
    10 minutes
    15 minutes
    train home
    closer
    sp
    day after that was the open house at sheridan, got to meet with a whole lot of ca people, wish i had taken time to draw everyone :]
    sketches of train(s) there and some light doodles at sheridan
    quick sketch of Taj
    top right is amarryth, center right is HEROIC, bottom right is Amazing Action Ape...
    actual size closeup
    Last edited by SirGreenSock; October 2nd, 2009 at 09:34 AM.
    Nikola Odic
    sketchbook
    site
    you got them purty lips, boy

Thanks
    train home (2 hour ride...) was far more prolific
    closeup
    mixed media experiments sps
    classmates
    some closeups (you can see my superneat handwriting too) these are actual size
    really (really) loose pen sp
    heres an example of the kind of page i usually dont scan, there was something about this one that i liked nonetheless
    more classmates, there were lots of elements i liked on this page...
    closeups!

some designs; Very loose, almost thumbnails, simply figuring out what works and what doesnt and exploring ideas... gonna expand on a couple of these sketches with more polish
    more classmates
    and ending with a self portrait!

This is likely the last update for about a week unless i get a spare moment on friday night. Got about 15 pages left in the biggie book, gonna buy a normal sized one next to make carrying and scanning more comfy.

::REPLIES::

kingcoyote - Haha now theres twice as much for you to comment on bitch! Thanks!

Andy P - Hey thanks a lot! Yeah next time around I'll take photos for the whacky faces, way easier and less painful :] ! Thanks for lookin!

archipelago - Thanks, the session did feel rusty, i couldnt move beyond the pencil medium and had trouble approaching the whole figure (hence all the closeups). Glad the faces are improving, yeah its mostly cause of the life work, really builds up the visual vocabulary with different shapes and ideas. The detailed imagination work is comin with the wips and the above concepts im developing, stick with me for now, schools kicking my ass, but I'll get through these!
    The triangle thing is something i picked up from various artists and I think Ian Mcaig's Gnomon DVD. Essentially its the relationship and proportions of the facial triangle, the relation of the eyes, nose and mouth. If you can get these shapes correct in relation to each other, the rest of the head essentially falls into the place and the portrait retains likeness. Its the basis of caricature.
    For me faces are built differently each and every time depending on the situation. If Im just doodling from imagination, it may start anywhere and just develop (ie start with bridge of nose or ear or something and move inwards/outwards). If I have a plan I start with a gesture to get the shape and angle in, then place the forehead, jaw and back of head (not always in that order), faces themselves I start with the shape of the sockets, then the relationship between nose and mouth, relation of chin and cheeks to rest of head, then unto details like lips and eyes. When working from life it also depends. If Im going for likeness/portrait type thing, i would start with an overall gesture, light contours, focusing on the relationships (triangle) and slowly building up. If not, such as class or subway sketches, I often start with whatever feature attracted me to drawing the person first (so an interesting nose shape or shadow, different angle of eyes or lips, gesture of the shoulders etc) and move from there. Take a look at some of my life drawing open canvas WPE files to see how i start painting these, its pretty much the same when i draw them.

amarryth - CA sketches are here (even with a closeup of the sketch of you ;] ) I would love it if by some twist we were all in the same classes, CA would take everything over and we'd rule! I don't count pages per day, or at least dont have a quota, just draw when I feel like it, if I dont feel like it, i try and get myself to spend at least 2-3 hours drawing MINIMUM, which can range in pages. Today I drew 12 pages. Have fun ;P. I'll be watchin for your sketchbook update! Glad you like the cover btw it was interesting to do with the bleeding markers. :]

And so I enter into the quadruple digit post count :3

PS = Hopefully these last two updates make up for the bad joke with the photo gettin pixel's hopes up
    Last edited by SirGreenSock; October 2nd, 2009 at 09:34 AM.
    Nikola Odic
    sketchbook
    site
    you got them purty lips, boy

Thanks
    sock, i saw the last update with the digitalis portraits and was like oh hell,
    and now this 1000th post and the HUGE ASS UPDATE! I can't really say more than Thanks for the inspiration--> you seem innately tuned to where you are wanting to go / get with your drawings... love seeing that self motivation and direction. cheers friend, can't wait for YUL-DOOM
    j

Thanks
    Holy shit man, goodjob with surviving that scan/post session. That kinda crap would kill me like garlic on a vampire.

But first, the stuff that stands out the most everytime is the details you can get out of sketching your classmates. I always wondered how close you are to the actual subject, because when I go ninja style they have to be at somewhat of a distance or i'll get caught. And also, the loose loose SP is fucking delicious, like yarn to a kitten, dude. At a quick glance it looks like one looooong line.

And another technical question, it seems like you're using a wooden pencil a lot, how do you manage to sharpen it/handle the shavings being all over the place? Or do you just pre-sharpen and have a huge arsenal at your disposal? Because I just tend to use a mech. pencil when i'm out, but would like to try normies.

But Nik man, thanks for the loads of inspiration as always. And remember what we talked about. Cheers, man. 8)

Thanks
    yayyyy!! i've never seen anyone's drawing of me before so that's kinda cool... so what we'll all have to do is get together regularly and do portraits of eachother! plan? yes. you have no choice

Thanks
    Nice self portrait i like your loose style i can see you get alot done just by drawing away. I'm curious to see what comes next. Nice sketchbook you've gotten pretty dang far.

Thanks
    feels like christmas! Thanks a bunch for those answers, really helpful and Ill look further into it myself that big sketchbooks has definently given you more good than bad, youve improved so much these past few weeks its not even funny. No crits dude, only that your proportions seem to be quite a bit off sometimes, but thats to be expected with such a big book , just remember to double check it!
    That last portrait is sweet too, most notibly the loose values that in some mysterious way work together...

Thanks
    Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii'm speechless.

Thanks
    Awesome. Awesome to the max.

My heads not THAT oblong'd and come on, my glasses are way more emo then that!
    Last edited by Taj; May 4th, 2006 at 06:47 PM.
    [

Thanks
    Shit... you're drawing like a machine! Congrats on sheridan! Your lifestudies are getting soo good! I'm inspired.

Keep 'em coming!

d-C

Page 38 of 101 FirstFirst ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 88 ... LastLast