New York City's Subway Sketch Group

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

New York City's Subway Sketch Group

Inspired by Digi, goldenavatar and myself are starting our own subway sketch group in NYC.

Details:
    Sunday March 27, 2005 we will meet up at 1:30 PM (i'll try to be there at 1:00) at the Starbucks outside Penn Station (34th Street between 7th and 8th Ave. right next to 1 Penn Plaza). We will take the 2 or 3 train up to the Bronx Zoo area and then down to Brooklyn and back again.
    The only cost for this is the price of a subway pass.

every week we will try a new subway line. Bring your pens, pencils and sketchbooks. we will spend a few hours assaulting the personal space of unassuming subway travelers.

Drawing on the subway presents a great oportunity to observe people. Also, by not providing you with a lot of time or still poses it forces you to get down the essential gesture of a person. I've filled up whole sketchbooks with chicken scratches masquerading as gesture drawings and it has been very helpful to my development as an artist. My hero, friend and mentor, George Pratt (Enemy Ace, Wolverine: Netsuke), credits this method for his development as well. he would spend hours on the subway to and from Pratt institute in the late 70's sketching people.

We welcome every skill level.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Count me in & since AC forgot to plug it, here's the thread he started in sketchbooks with what he's done in this vien so far. Let's hope more folks add to it.
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...133#post431133

Thanks
    I used to be a weather nut, watched the weather channel 24/7. as soon as i stopped they started fucking up their forcasts. i was getting woride that because of the forcasted rain people are not gonna show up. According to today's forcast sunday should be free of rain. Wh00t!!! Starbucks it is. I'll probably be waitng outside sketching. I'll be wearing a black shirt with my logo on it (same as the avatar) shouldnt be too hard to find me.

if you're running a little late or hopelessly lost you can reach me on my cell 561-827-3451 (that's 561 not 516!!!)

Thanks
    I might have come out for this if it wasn't Easter. Sounds like fun. Let us know if another one of these is planned for the near future...

Thanks
    Being a dirty heathen that I am i totaly didn't realize that it was Easter. Makes sence why not many people showed.

Thanks
    hey hey -
    we, at the NYC Subway Sketch Group are putting up a show of our work.

Here’s the deal. One of or members, Nathan Schreiber, and I have been talking about putting up our Subway Sketch Group Work at his apartment/gallery.

Here are the details:
    Iron Works Gallery
    259 East 134th Street
    NYC Subway Sketch Group Show
    Saturday December 3rd
    9:00PM

You can participate in the show if you’ve come out to sketch with us (be it at the regular Subway Sketch Group meetings or the Art Out Loud events). We ask that you submit one observational drawing (be it a person or an environment) and one page from your sketchbook (whatever you want). We will be collecting submissions at our Subway Sketch Group Meeting this Sunday (27th) at 12:00 PM at the Metropolitan Museum of Art. (note: if you would like to participate in the show but can’t make it this Sunday, let me know and we’ll try to work something out).

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.