Sketchbook: Fin - 1 APR 11 - x1 - Page 13

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great stuff, Fin. Hope I didn't fuck up your beast design with my take on it lately

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your animals studies are amazing,still wonder if i'll ever be able put so much life in drawings,impressive!
    Andreas

Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 781 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    i'm liking your model and studies. very progressive sb. ;]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great to see what you've been up too. The inked wolf heads are great and I always enjoy your undead animal stuff.

SSG#15 - cw | fionkell | Paulie | Pezzle | Onnophris

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, Awsome sketchbook, fantastic studies here, you show great progress! You are doing all the right things, studying the right stuff, good job!!

Justin

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Architaylor ey thanks. need to transfer that to my human drawings now!
    cw skulldog's being worked on, I will shove some progress shots up here in a little while. I have no idea why I never played with brushpens before, they're awesome fun.
    Kan ah i never got to comment on the group post! but i loved your take on chaosbeast, it's my new desktop really thinking i should redo my remake...
    Mr Alamo well if i can get your sort of energy into them, i'll be happy, thanks!
    MattGamer i really should post up the photos of the finished sculpture eh. he's a bit beaten-up looking now lol. will stop by your sb in a sec
    Onnophris cheers, I've done a bunch more black n white studies of wolves/tigers/people, will post them in a bit.
    JustinBeckett thanks, though I think I'm slow as a wet week in progress looking to change that.

Some digital studies to start with, I am going back to basics and trying to learn from the ground up. Hopefully I am going about this the right way.

Peer Proj Vol 1, exercise 1
    Fin - 1 APR 11 - x1

Fin - 1 APR 11 - x1

Some quick life studies (under an hour). I seem to be having that issue with Photoshop where the save for web always darkens/oversaturates the image I've tried fixing it and read various threads but still can't seem to work that out.

Fin - 1 APR 11 - x1

Here's two versions, one converts into sRGB in save for web, the second does not, but both still look worse than original:
    Fin - 1 APR 11 - x1

Fin - 1 APR 11 - x1

And again:
    Fin - 1 APR 11 - x1

Fin - 1 APR 11 - x1

I do need to work this out, it's making my coloured work look more awful. Anyway, back to some sketches:

Fin - 1 APR 11 - x1
    Fin - 1 APR 11 - x1
    Fin - 1 APR 11 - x1
    Fin - 1 APR 11 - x1

Apart from that have done a lot of the usual Bridgman studies, constructions of shoulder/arm at moment. More to come

Finn | my sketchbook thread | tumblr | Bēhance | gorillaartfare | whiskey, gin, and pints of beer

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fionkell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really nice update today. It's always nice going back to basics and seeing how well you can handle them.

I've been doing a good bit of anatomy study myself (arms and body) over the last 2 days. I just figured out that copying the anatomy straight from a book pretty much has the same non-effectiveness for me as trying to learn history by just copying pages and pages out of a history book without actually stopping to soak things in properly.

Just something to think about with the bridgman/anatomy studies you're doing

My Sketchbook!

Sketchbook Support Group!
    cw | Onnophris | Pezzle | iolarnula

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there,

Your welcome, and thank you for dropping by my book. Cool new studies, but remember what you just told me, look for big shapes first. Some of the end sketches are too sketchy and un-confident, remember to stay loose, keep your lines consistent, work in the big shapes. To me it looked like you went, etch etch etch, not swoosh. So start swooshing, and keep a balance, not rushing to much, but also practicing speed.

Justin

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Justin yeah funny how I can never seem to take my own advice! Heh heh heh. I seem to have that old habit of chickenscratch sketching and trying to put too much detail in but completely missing the important parts of making the drawing working on it though.

Paulie I agree totally. I'm finding it better doing Bridgman constructions, and then straight after applying those principles to both quick and long studies off of photographs and life to get the idea cemented in. Hopefully this is the right way to go about it

Haven't scanned any of my studies yet, but here's a colour study from a film still for now. Focusing more on colour and form than getting an exact likeness.

Fin - 1 APR 11 - x1

I am trying to do a 1 hr daily digital study thing, seems to be sticking so far Will scan sketchpages later.

Finn | my sketchbook thread | tumblr | Bēhance | gorillaartfare | whiskey, gin, and pints of beer

12. The Following User Says Thank You to fionkell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ahoy, cool new piece. Also I just re looked at your gesture drawings, you said you weren't loose enough, are you sure? Your gestures look crazy good man!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Justin heh I guess it's more I feel like i'm not swooshy enough with the pencil when sketching, though using the blunt angle seems to be improving that a little

Weekly dump timez!
    Quick 1 hourish colour studies again, from an X-Men 2 film still and some photographs...have to rein in my must-detail-things-too-early foible
    Fin - 1 APR 11 - x1
    Fin - 1 APR 11 - x1
    Fin - 1 APR 11 - x1

From my widdle sketchbook
    Fin - 1 APR 11 - x1
    Fin - 1 APR 11 - x1
    Fin - 1 APR 11 - x1
    Fin - 1 APR 11 - x1

Blunt pencil angst! :/
    Fin - 1 APR 11 - x1

Been at the arms lately (thanks Mr Bridgman), I think I am starting to figure out the forms of the arm a bit better. Also, wimmenz.
    Fin - 1 APR 11 - x1
    Fin - 1 APR 11 - x1
    Fin - 1 APR 11 - x1
    Fin - 1 APR 11 - x1
    Fin - 1 APR 11 - x1
    Fin - 1 APR 11 - x1

It's almost beer o'clock Whee Fridayyyy

15. The Following User Says Thank You to fionkell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 654 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Oh snap, you're getting serious with the studies.

Photoshop problem: Color profiles are a nightmare. Don't research it, your brain will thank me.
    Check what color profile you have on your monitor, I think web browsers (firefox at least) use sRGB, so that's what I set my monitor profile to, and also what I would use in photochop.

Unless you're saving GIF, don't bother with save for web, it just rapes the colors.

EDIT: Just as a side note, I wouldn't worry too much about how colors show up in the browser coz' everybody has different monitors and different settings,
    so no matter what you do, no two people are gonna see the same thing.
    It's only color management for printing that you should worry about.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to HunterKiller_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey iolarnula!

Looks like you've been up to a lot of similar things as me this week! (Colour studies and anatomy studies of the arm).

Looks like you're trying to introduce a bit of confidence in your line work in those anatomy studies to but like me I still end up getting a bit 'scratchy' with my lines if I don't concentrate!

How do you find you are getting on with drawing the arms from different angles from imagination?

My Sketchbook!

Sketchbook Support Group!
    cw | Onnophris | Pezzle | iolarnula

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for dropping by my book...Nice update in your book, lovin those arm studies, keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    fantastic studies man, the still lifes are my favorites

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Do you work or intern at Rockstar??

Nice studies too! Your lines are more descriptive than they were before, and I think you could work even more on that. I've been looking at Sargent's stuff recently and noticing amazing his lines are: link. I think if you tried emulating the descriptiveness yet cleanness/simpleness of his lines you'd level up!

Also, maybe doing some gestures? A lot of your sketches seem focused on anatomy and contour; doing gestures could help put that mass on a stable posture/frame/action.

Keep it up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Anatomic studies are coming along nicely! Not to mention your digital ones.. damn it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    'sup kids. Been doing some freelance recently and finding a balance, here's to progress I hope.

Hunterrr yeah, I also think I use too many dark values a lot, and as a result they shift to that end when viewed in a web browser. Like you said though, only really matters for printing eh
    Paulie I think it's my tendency to overdraw that can bugger my studies up sometimes too, need to view things more as shapes than collections of lines. Trying to do this in studies recently and it's different but hopefully will help me improve.
    Justin arms are awesome be dropping by yer book soon
    oren90 ey thanks!
    YihyoungLi heh no I don't intern at Rockstar, I just put stickers on my sketchbooks to differentiate them, and that one got this old Rockstar sticker hanging around. Thank you for posting that Sargent sketch, it's exactly what I've been looking to work towards! So much to learn...
    Konstruktion cheers, I must do more

This is Mr Grey. You will be seeing more of Mr Grey. Yes.
    Fin - 1 APR 11 - x1

Fin - 1 APR 11 - x1
    Fin - 1 APR 11 - x1
    Fin - 1 APR 11 - x1

Bunch of small commissions done ages ago, blerg, was interesting to play with this sort of technique though. Rar rar rar

Fin - 1 APR 11 - x1Fin - 1 APR 11 - x1Fin - 1 APR 11 - x1
    Fin - 1 APR 11 - x1Fin - 1 APR 11 - x1Fin - 1 APR 11 - x1

24. The Following User Says Thank You to fionkell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I haven't seen your sketchbook before. This is very good. Especially pencil studies. Mr Grey is my favorite! he's a badass

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wonderful sketchbook! sooo many animals in it ^^
    i really like the style of the last ones.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice SB; Pencils are shaping up really really well - loads of progress in a short time. Trim your linework a little I think - you can do more with less if you spend more time thinking about every line you draw. I think the trick is getting fast at good drawing, not getting good at fast drawing (if that makes any sense).

Speedies need some depth - they're on the right track, but with environments add some aerial perspective and stronger shapes and textures to add subtle contrasts.

Impressed though, givin' ya the vote of confidence>

Last edited by Brendan N; May 11th, 2010 at 10:36 AM.
    Brendan Noeth

Thanks
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 879 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    really like those small commissions from a while ago and this sketchbook generally is looking really good! Like the value/intensity studies - something I should do far more of myself when I can eventually get around to it! Keep posting those pencil works and I'm definitely gonna come back to check out your progress!

By the way.. your animal work is incredible!

Last edited by ThomasM; May 11th, 2010 at 09:23 AM.
    Sketchbook: INSATIABLE CURIOSITY

Tumblr:http://lovegraphite.tumblr.com/

"We make our own fortunes and we call them fate" - Benjamin Disraeli

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wheeeeeeeeeeee studies are what progress you in leaps and bounds. try to see the thing you are studying in your mind, in 3d, then copy it down. try this technique when you're bored searching for the lines. you'll start to think 3d rather than in contours. keep it up, i like those commissioned pieces... they show you can do different styles other than your own. and open a box of wide possibilities for you to use in the future. cheers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ivan Turcin thank you, he's a character I'm fleshing out at the moment, one of my oldest.
    aismira heh yeah I think I draw them too much sometimes!
    Brendan N that makes sense. I have an ADD hand which I'm trying to slow down more, but it's hard to break old habits eh. See you round.
    ThomasM I'll see what I can do :p
    MattGamer hopefully I can wean myself out of line-dependence, cheers!

I listen to a lot of music when I'm working. So I figure I'll start posting some with each update. This one's appropriately themed:

Just a quick update, I haven't got time to scan all my pencil pages yet, so here's a digital study.
    Oh-Dee-Ess-Tee! Looking at colours and value. 2 hours on and off from a reference photo (here):
    Fin - 1 APR 11 - x1

Some process steps, in case anyone has any useful tips on how to improve my painting technique heh:
    Fin - 1 APR 11 - x1

Last edited by fionkell; May 18th, 2010 at 05:07 AM. Reason: Added music! :V

31. The Following User Says Thank You to fionkell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    work it! ;] just keep drawing is my tip! this improves you the most.
    i love halo music. never owned a halo game, which is probably why i enjoy the music better.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some music first, I think I will make this a regular thing

Thanks Matt. Few more pages and some experiments, going to try and paint under/over more of my sketches, can't hurt right?

Stuck in a doctors' waiting room last week, lucky I had the little sketchbook with me...
    Fin - 1 APR 11 - x1

I wish my paints didn't look so cartoonish
    Fin - 1 APR 11 - x1

Studies for a larger illustration, more to come on that
    Fin - 1 APR 11 - x1

Fin - 1 APR 11 - x1

Last edited by fionkell; May 20th, 2010 at 02:55 AM. Reason: myooosic

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice stuff ! I like how you treated this http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...2/160310-1.jpg . the head on the left is great. keep pushing this type of treatment !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there, I took a glance through your sketchbook, I see some definite improvement in these last couple of post. I like "Mr. Grey" Keep up the good work at all costs!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks guys. Just a small update for now, music first:

Playing with the birdies from earlier post:
    Fin - 1 APR 11 - x1

Fiddled over this speedy again, trying some new things quickly
    Fin - 1 APR 11 - x1

Bigger update soon

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Muzak first - something a bit older (for me haha).

More of the same, painting over and under earlier sketches from reference. I spent a bit more time on these than the last few.
    Fin - 1 APR 11 - x1

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3