Sketchbook: something new in N-Mel's sketchbook? - updated October 18th

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

something new in N-Mel's sketchbook? - updated October 18th

I wish. It has been a while since I updated this. but I do get in an occasional DSG...

Latest DSG entry:

So here it is. My Conceptart.org sketchbook. I try to sketch a li'l su'm almost every day, so I ought to be able to share it wit y'all here. For those of you who have not seen my website, I am currently employed as a game designer (and I have done game art for over 10 years). Sometimes I get to missing my crazy sketchy artist roots and I have to put pencil to paper. I like to sketch. I love the DSGs.

Am I any good an artist? That is a very subjective question, and I'll let you be the judge. Could I be a better artist? I know that there is always room for improvement. So if ya gots some crits - let me have 'em.

For my inaugural sketchbook post I give you the following:

Ball point pen sketch of a laday cop, fat little man, and some butterflies

Quick pencil study from reference (I enjoy drawing from life, but it is unusual for my sketches)

Ultramarines: super hero tech

Last edited by N-Mel; October 18th, 2005 at 11:35 PM. Reason: to fit your screen.
    Don't forget to visit my sketchbook and see what's new at www.neil.melville.ws
    I'll sting you real bad with my stingery thing if you forget, and then you will be so sad!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    welcome, dude! post more plz...g'luck with drawing.

-A

more than (but i'm getting there)

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos
    Boston Sketchgroup <= Info in post 570
    Monday Nighters: Jushra|Vorp|PartialArtist

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

More sketches

Here are some are older ones too, just to get this thread going.

A cheesy dino-creature: I give you velveetasaurus...

crappy hodge podge of girls, ghosts, and nose-pickers - why do I like this?

gesture sketch and a dumb bunny (actually part of a game I play with friends and family: first person makes a weird scribble and second person turns it into a picture...)
    something new in N-Mel's sketchbook? - updated October 18th something new in N-Mel's sketchbook? - updated October 18th

Action studies for a game character...

I'll sting you real bad with my stingery thing if you forget, and then you will be so sad!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

New stuff

Dude! you sketches totally suxor!! -jk u r da shizzle! erp. nvrmind.
    Why was I expecting comments? I look at the other much more amazing sketches out there and I can totally understand no one having anything to say about this stuff here. Ah well. I did do some more sketchin' o'er the weekend, just because:

some costume studies:

a little moe detail:

some unreferenced practice... I need more practice.

a shading sketch:

sketches... not my best stuff, but there it is. different styles, different moods, whatevah.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice sketches!
    very proportional, i like the nose pickin kid hehe
    James

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Small creatures

purb36: Thanks man, I think I will post more, and thanks again.

James the Frozen Valley: Thanks! you think so? sometimes I forget to like my stuff, but other days... Dazzam! I geek out. I guess I must be bipolar.

So... here is more stuff... kind on a fantasy kick for a bit.

something new in N-Mel's sketchbook? - updated October 18th something new in N-Mel's sketchbook? - updated October 18th

All of these were drawn kind of small, like no more than 3 inches high apiece.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I havent' earned the right to critique just yet so I'll offer a little praise instead...

I like your style, you seemt to have a good understanding of anatomy and proportion and you have good lines

Keep it up

See you on the DSG

Help your fellow artists get better.. Post a critique today!!!
    SSG 3:
    PixelDragoon
    RETEP
    Sara-san
    JustinBeckett
    Dan1989
    darkarts
    charcoalArtist (me)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

strange week

hodgepodge of sketchiness...

Strange creatures

Strange fellows

Some strange stuff going on here... what is with this shading and perspective? not to mention some creative anatomy...

And lastly, a portrait study... no ref... I guess I really should use more ref...

don't be a stranger!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh yeah, there's more... some older pictures I found thrown in.

something new in N-Mel's sketchbook? - updated October 18th something new in N-Mel's sketchbook? - updated October 18th something new in N-Mel's sketchbook? - updated October 18th something new in N-Mel's sketchbook? - updated October 18th something new in N-Mel's sketchbook? - updated October 18th something new in N-Mel's sketchbook? - updated October 18th

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, it could be better but it is still 10000x better than anything I have ever done. I hate myself, feel good now?

You could try drawing backgrounds and other things that are out of the norm for you (machinery, water, animals, etc).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Fun with Ink

Charcoal Artist: Thanks for the comments. I appreciate it. (maybe I should do more than line sketches...) And I really like your posts in the DSG too.

NobodyYouWouldKnow: No, I don't feel better. Why would you saying that you hate yourself help anyone feel better? I saw your stuff in your sketchbook, and I think it shows a lot of promise. You have improved a lot too. I look at what I was drawing 10 years ago, and I think I have actually gotten worse. I don't practice enough. I don't do backgrounds and machines and water and animals enough. I will try, because it is good advice.

Meanwhile, here is some non-pencil sketches (I like to sketch with ink. it means I can't erase and it forces me to try different styles):

something new in N-Mel's sketchbook? - updated October 18th something new in N-Mel's sketchbook? - updated October 18th something new in N-Mel's sketchbook? - updated October 18th something new in N-Mel's sketchbook? - updated October 18th something new in N-Mel's sketchbook? - updated October 18th something new in N-Mel's sketchbook? - updated October 18th something new in N-Mel's sketchbook? - updated October 18th something new in N-Mel's sketchbook? - updated October 18th something new in N-Mel's sketchbook? - updated October 18th

Members who have read this thread: 1