Atelier style artschools vs new type (3dcomp) style artschools

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

Atelier style artschools vs new type (3dcomp) style artschools

I am studying 3d animation right now, but I really want to be a concept artist in the future. What I'm doing right now is concepting, then model it in 3d and animate. I was wondering if maybe I should make the switch to a old school art school where you learn all the classic stuff. The thing is I read something by Craig Mullins on sijun once where he stated that those kind of art schools arent the best thing to do to get into the games/movie industry. (forgot why though ) And what i'm doing right now is much closer to the games/movie industry. So what would be wiser, doing what I do now, and have pretty broad skills (modeling, animation, drawing). Or go the way of the old masters and learn to paint/draw very well.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    since i think you're going for a future in the entertainment industry, i'd vote for just drawing as much as possible in your free time. in 2 or 3 years you can become pretty good even without any atelier or school.

Thanks
    If you want to work in the Games and Movie industry then study where u are studying right now cuz all the skills u need will be learnt there. If u wanna make a career change and go into Fine Arts then studying at an Atelier would prove to be really useful!

Thanks
    umm...nah...

Strong craftmanship makes you superior artist...both in Traditional and CG....

Any of the pros on this site would atest to having strong tradtional techniques down...whether learned in an Atelier or self taught...

And making yourself as versatile as possible is always a good thing...

i was just accepted back into college after a 3yr hiatus, and i will going for AAS in Illustration then a BFA in 3D modelling and Animation followed by my Masters in Fine Art.....

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bRyaN
    umm...nah...

Strong craftmanship makes you superior artist...both in Traditional and CG....

Any of the pros on this site would atest to having strong tradtional techniques down...whether learned in an Atelier or self taught...

And making yourself as versatile as possible is always a good thing...

i was just accepted back into college after a 3yr hiatus, and i will going for AAS in Illustration then a BFA in 3D modelling and Animation followed by my Masters in Fine Art.....
    Animation and Concept art in general has their own elements to be learned that you wont learn in an Atelier for obvious reasons and besides I'm sure a foundation in Traditional drawing and painting is being taught at wherever IceMoon is studying so I think it is a waste of time for him to be studying at an Atelier if he just wants to do concept art and animation but there is nothing wrong in being versatile. I also think this depends on how long his studying will be before he actually starts working in this field so if he has time then there is nothing wrong in enrolling at an Atelier.

Thanks
    The best thing is get it from Ron Lemen-fredflickstone...

He's an instructor at Watts...and he's also a working concept artist...

Thanks
    if you want to be a good concept artist, take industrial design, the best concept artists mainly have industrial design backgrounds like feng, church, mean, chiang etc. unless you want to be an illustrator, go to a old school atlier

Nathan Campbells 3 steps to drawing like a pro, 1. Sketch 2. shade. 3. highlights and ur done

Thanks
    thx for the advice guys. I think I just stay where I am now and get my bachelor degree in animation. In the mean time I'll draw as much as I can( free time/ for my animation projects) Then I can see which master I want to do ( which i'm gonna do abroad anyway).

Gasmask: unfortunately for me industrial design in my country is more about designing chairs and coffeemachines then it is about anything else.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.