New Member looking for Advice Please
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

New Member looking for Advice Please

Hi, i'm new here so I'm not sure if i'm posting this in the right place. Anyway, I'm working on a comic for a friend at the moment and I have done a few early character designs. Any advice on how to improve them would be welcome. Thanks

Here's the first one.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Before I could give you advice, I think maybe I would want more info on the character. I mean, as it is, it's okay, but I don't know what you want your character to convey. What's the background on this guy?

From this sketch alone, I would venture that he is "The Masked Cricket Player!" ?????

~~**I'm here to get better; crit me, baby, crit me hard!**~~
    There is only one valuable thing in art: the thing you cannot explain.
    ~Georges Braque

Daegad Studio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the pose and the proportions look pretty good, but it's obvious you didn't use a reference for the clothing. That's really hard to pull off and when the character is mostly clothing (as we see almost no exposed skin and even little implied anatomy), it makes for a less interesting image.

Could you show us some of your anatomy stuff?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Best advice would be to study anatomy from refferences. (Photos, Books, from Live, whatever). The face anatomy is of (ok theres not much to see, but its the wrong shape), and the hands look strange.

Also try to have cleaner lines, it will improve your work alot. (Perhaps sketch with 2h and then go over the lines with 4b so you can do clean strokes)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fear The Masked Cricket Player!

Good point about the character discription I should have told you that first. Anyway, this character is an idea for one of the hero's of the story. He's just an ordinary guy but with slightly criminal tendencies. Then something happens to change his perspective on life (we don't know what yet) and he becomes a hero. All the hero's in the story will be wearing masks as a sort of tribute to the old masked hero thing so this character has a fairly simple one to reflect is criminal past. The way he fights is quite brutal but he folows his own sort of honor. The cricket bat is his weapon, which he treats with the same respect as a medieval knight would treat his sword.

Thats sort of the basic concept. I still need to flesh out the details a bit.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're right Dogfood I didn't use any reference for the clothes or anything else at all. I will have to find some and redraw it.

Thanks for the advice on cleaner lines Zaknafain I will try that when I redraw it. My drawings quite often end up looking a bit messy and sketchy so I apreciate the advice.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hm . . . interesting. So, as you've drawn him here, is he in mid-costume stage? I mean, he is not appearing very ordinary - due to the mask, yet he is not appearing brutal yet - due to the ordinary clothes.

Anatomy: his hands lack definition at this point, as well, the feet look rather stumpy.

Not sure if this would apply, but I've often read that you first get your anatomy straight (unclothed, basically) and then when you're happy with how everything's placed, then you put your costume on him. Get really familiar with your figure in all kinds of positions, then go into the costuming.

Hope this helps. A cricket playing killer=hott. lol

~~**I'm here to get better; crit me, baby, crit me hard!**~~
    There is only one valuable thing in art: the thing you cannot explain.
    ~Georges Braque

Daegad Studio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the advice Wanda

Iv'e only drawn him once so far as a sort of first idea stage so the full detailes of his costume need to be developed.I think the idea of getting his anatomy right first is a good one. I will try drawing him in several poses like you suggested. I think that will be very useful if I use him in the final comic.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    why am i not seein gthe pic. its only saying "warning..."

cool beans to you...my friend.
    sKeTcHbOoK update page3 (scroll to the bottom of page)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Right off the bat, I say you should learn your anatomy. Your clothing looks kinda pillowy and non-fabric like. Don't bother with clothes until you can draw the figure under it. Then do studies of just fabric draped over stuff. Then apply fabric to figure and you'll get a much better result.

The biggest thing about line is not to "pet" your lines. They aren't fuzzy kitties. As in go over the same part again and again and make them all feathery as you have. Do a strong, confident stroke. Work in lighter pencils and go over them again in a darker one or in pen as someone else suggested.

Art is long and time is fleeting

Sketchbook
    Website

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for all the advice everyone.

I've redrawn the character, trying all the things you've suggested. As soon as I can get my scanner working I will scan it in and post it here and see what you think.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's the redrawn character design. I used reference for the anatomy and the folds this time as well as starting with a lighter pencil. I hope you can see an improvement.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.